• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Franky

Reaction score
I was just about to post the same question. Not sure what to think.

SpierAndMackayFW2023_8738-W-BRD-BLT_48136-hg-550x550.jpg
8746---550x550.jpg

Makes me think of the classic 1992 album by The Revolting Cocks. IYKYK.

Big fan of that belt personally. 😁

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in the market for some new chinos and cords. What's the verdict on Spier for these? I'm eyeing the bedford cords for the corduroy option but are the chinos generally decent? And how's the fit on these generally?

blewnote1

Reaction score
Just took hold of the midnight barathea tuxedo. Surprised a bit that it’s unvented, but I can make the thang work. Excited to take this thing to tailor. Black tie wedding in early November. Will report back with pics and details.
Unvented is the classic choice for formal wear. It's how they did the barathea tux last year and is very classy.

I'm kinda bummed I didn't reach out to Rick and ask what tuxes were in the pipeline, cuz I could have waited for this VBC one instead of picking up the Valbiella one that popped up in my size this spring after I thought they were sold out. Would much rather have spent the bread on a better known mill and in midnight mohair mix to boot!

Zaxxon8

Reaction score
No. My Ulster had real horn buttons as far as I remember. But the real problem is that the buttons are attached without the backbone 🤦
Spier cuts corners everywhere to keep prices low ☹️
Thanks! Sounds like they don't cut every corner if they're using horn buttons.. but good to know I might still want to add some rear support to the buttons if I get the coat

Last edited:

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI, I've used my Ulster during two winters now and haven't had any issues whatsoever with the buttons, reinforcement or whatnot. Extremely happy with it and a bargain for the price even as a MTO. But I'm known for being easy to please. In fact, planning on adding a second as soon as Spier adds the MTO fabric I'm looking for, which should be soon hopefully.

Last edited:

JTrent82

Reaction score
I'm in the market for some new chinos and cords. What's the verdict on Spier for these? I'm eyeing the bedford cords for the corduroy option but are the chinos generally decent? And how's the fit on these generally?
Their chinos vary wildly from season to season. They're completely inconsistent- sometimes they're great, sometimes they're poor. Bedford cord is not corduroy. If you're looking for traditional corduroy, don't buy these.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unvented is the classic choice for formal wear. It's how they did the barathea tux last year and is very classy.

I'm kinda bummed I didn't reach out to Rick and ask what tuxes were in the pipeline, cuz I could have waited for this VBC one instead of picking up the Valbiella one that popped up in my size this spring after I thought they were sold out. Would much rather have spent the bread on a better known mill and in midnight mohair mix to boot!
Indeed, friend. I actually sized up to a 40L contemporary to accommodate for the padded shoulders, and to get the drape right given it’s unvented. My hunch was correct: the jacket silhouette is super solid with no pulling, just an unmitigated "V".

Last edited:

JTrent82

Reaction score
FYI, I've used my Ulster during two winters now and haven't had any issues whatsoever with the buttons, reinforcement or whatnot. Extremely happy with it and a bargain for the price even as a MTO. But I'm known for being easy to please. In fact, planning on adding a second as soon as Spier adds the MTO fabric I'm looking for, which should be soon hopefully.
Where did you land on sizing?

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where did you land on sizing?
I sized down one size and also brought the waist in ~3,5" on top of that. I ordered my size initially, but the thing was ridiculously large.

I'm wearing a thick Harris Tweed SC underneath. Bear in mind that I was carrying 6 kg extra here. So there's no pulling or divots once those 6 kgs are gone. My only regret is not adding another couple of inches to the length.
IMG_20230120_081953.jpg
IMG_20230120_081935.jpg
IMG_20230111_122519.jpg

Last edited:

JTrent82

Reaction score
I sized down one size and also brought the waist in 3,5" on top of that. I ordered my size initially, but the thing was ridiculously large.

I'm wearing a thick Harris Tweed SC underneath. Bear in mind that I was carrying 6 kg extra here. So there's no pulling or divots once those 6 kgs are gone. My only regret is not adding another couple of inches to the length.
View attachment 2054999 View attachment 2055001 View attachment 2055003

Wow! That fit looks fantastic. I've heard conflicting opinions on this forum about Ulster sizing. Someone else said they actually sized up! Do you know if they've altered the pattern at all since your purchase?

jellyroller

Reaction score

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow! That fit looks fantastic. I've heard conflicting opinions on this forum about Ulster sizing. Someone else said they actually sized up! Do you know if they've altered the pattern at all since your purchase?
Thanks, mate. Based on the size chart, the fit seems unchanged. But they might have done something to the blue print that I'm unaware of. Concensus last season was to size down. This season I've seen two people saying that they sized up. So maybe something had changed. My experience is based on last season's fit.

Re sizing, it's all based on preference. If you wear tight/close fits to begin with, I can see how one needs to size up. But if someone wears classic fits, I can't see how you would need to size up. I guess what I'm trying to say is, maybe your size isn't what you think your size is to begin with if you need to "size up" for the Ulster based on last season's fit. I'm sure there are anomalies,bur generally speaking, I can't imagine the need to size up. My advice for potential buyers would be, have a look at how the clothes fits the person you're taking advice from before deciding. That should tell you whether you need to size up or not.

Last edited:

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man I am starting to wonder if I should put out the cash instead of looking for a vintage Balmacaan. Id love to get one with a belt but not a deal breakers. I haven’t checked but does SM get a restock?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads