• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dorian_Gray

Reaction score
Would be interested in a review too before I pull the trigger. Living in Miami-- normal chinos are simply too hot.
Damn, I never noticed that. I washed them once when they arrived and before hemming: regular cycle, cold water, hang to dry. They seemed to come out fine with no shrinkage in the fit. They just got their second wash last night, so I'll report back if anything changes. Given the weird paper-thin fabric, I wonder if the dry cleaning recommendation has to do with durability.

As for wearing them, I like them a lot. The crisp hand of the fabric is a little weird but not uncomfortable in the least. And, they're very, very cool in hot weather.
I’m probably going to wash them today, so you gents will get my reply relatively soon.

Fascinatingly, the item description on the S&M website explicitly states that these are washable (I knew I read that somewhere). I feel like the manufacturer lists it as dry clean and S&M did their own experimentation.

Attachments

• D270D3C0-BFC7-4EA4-B4D7-21219F08AE8F.png
    D270D3C0-BFC7-4EA4-B4D7-21219F08AE8F.png
    137.2 KB · Views: 294

blewnote1

Reaction score
What is this insanity? This is StyleForum, and the SM thread no less, where our suits and sportcoats are typically worn about four times at most before we get distracted by the next shiny thing.

Edit: Jokes aside, I'm increasingly in favor of this actually. Just having a few items and wearing them into the ground. Having a lot of different things simultaneously means making frequent trips to the tailor, wondering whether anything actually needs some sort of "end of season" cleaning if it was only worn three times, and of course the ever present threat of having the entire thing invalidated by weight change or, heaven forbid, moths, all that gets to be a bit much unless you really enjoy this as a hobby.

I've been rewatching a lot of Boardwalk Empire and couldn't help but notice that most of us have wardrobes significantly larger than that of even Nucky Thompson himself. He only has like 5 suits + his tux per season, with some old stuff carried into new seasons even, yet going from scene to scene it's not like I'm noticing that he doesn't change clothes, like a cartoon character, except for that red suit from season 1; his lackeys have more like two suits each that they wear in scene after scene, despite constantly being threatened by blood, spit, urine, and whatever other fluids are found in the brothels they run and frequent.

This being fictional characters on a fictional show aside, my point is, I'm not really getting a "uh this guy is wearing the same clothes constantly" vibe from any of this despite what clothing salesmen tell me. The whole point of conservative menswear is that it ISN'T memorable, right? Seems like a much less fussy way of going about things.

Not only that, but a lot of his suits are not the typical SF approved bland choice of navy or grey; he wears windowpane patterns, interesting colors, chalk stripes, etc.

blewnote1

Reaction score
I purchased this green jacket through S&M earlier this year, and I really like it! I've got a basic outfit for it (on me below, link: https://www.spierandmackay.com/product/mid-green---neo-cut----6749m-30014-nesc-01-ss23), but am trying to figure out other pants that would work with it. I've tried a navy, a lighter gray, and a darker gray, and I just haven't landed on anything that looked all that great. Any suggestions?

I may be late the party, but it looks a lot like the VBC wool/silk/linen mesh jacket I purchased last summer (superb for hot weather). It has a bit of grey in it from one of the threads and matches quite well with medium and light grey. Also goes well with white/cream/khaki/British khaki and a pair of mid blue cotton trousers I got on a lark.

blewnote1

Reaction score
After a bit of internal debate, I ordered this unusual garment...sartorial denim! I figure I might wear these as a dress-down option for sports coats. Or perhaps with boots and sweater in the fall/spring.

Anyone here have these and care to share their views?

I'm pretty sure that's MossRocks go to trouser choice, especially with navy blazers, they always look great in the photos he posts.

Edit: except unsure if with side adjusters.

RexBanner

Reaction score
Looking to finally purchase the S&M jeans with the sale on now... need some opinions before I pull the trigger as I don't want to pay the return and restocking fee if they don't fit.

For the slim high rise jeans:
1. How high is the front and back rise?
2. How slim are these jeans? Not looking for skinny jeans, but want a nice slim taper.
3. How is the quality?

For reference, I wear 31 in Paige slim fit jeans, and 30 in 7 for all mankind.

Lastly, anyone have any pictures of these jeans? :)

SteveMc

Reaction score
Looking to finally purchase the S&M jeans with the sale on now... need some opinions before I pull the trigger as I don't want to pay the return and restocking fee if they don't fit.

For the slim high rise jeans:
1. How high is the front and back rise?
2. How slim are these jeans? Not looking for skinny jeans, but want a nice slim taper.
3. How is the quality?

For reference, I wear 31 in Paige slim fit jeans, and 30 in 7 for all mankind.

Lastly, anyone have any pictures of these jeans? :)

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/spier-mackay-official-affiliate-thread.383376/post-11494805

I'd add that the front rise is also according to the size chart (about 11.2 for size 30).
S&M doesn't advertise the back rise though.

sargeinaz

Reaction score
Bought some green fatigue trousers. Hope they fit. They only had a size 30 and not 32. If the size chart is accurate that will work, but if it’s not….then im
Screwed.

classicoutfits

Reaction score
Hi. I have been wanting to add a navy flannel suit to my collection, with goal to be able to wear it as a suit and to break it up into separates. the Minis is on sale. I don't have experience with their fabrics but heard great things.
my question about the 470 weight, is that too thick / heavy and would look like outerwear piece ?
I have the VBC trousers from last winter and like them a lot!
Thanks!!

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi. I have been wanting to add a navy flannel suit to my collection, with goal to be able to wear it as a suit and to break it up into separates. the Minis is on sale. I don't have experience with their fabrics but heard great things.
my question about the 470 weight, is that too thick / heavy and would look like outerwear piece ?
I have the VBC trousers from last winter and like them a lot!
Thanks!!
470g is fine and won't read as outerwear. The Minnis is woolen flannel while the VBC is a woolen/worsted hybrid.

The Minnis is a classic flannel featuring traditional woolen characteristics such as a wooly appearance and plush feel. The con with woolen flannels is that they look saggy by the end of the day, particularly around stressed areas such as the knees. They won't hold a crease as well as worsted fabrics. Generally speaking, woolen fabrics tend to wear out faster than woolen fabrics.

The VBC, being a hybrid offers the best of two worlds. It has the looks of a classic woolen from a distance while maintaining the worsted characteristics, such as holding a crease and not looking like pyjamas by the end of the day. But it's not as heavy as the Minnis and upon closer inspection won't look as wooly as you'd expect from a traditional flannel fabric.

I've owned suits in both fabrics and prefer the VBC. However, I wouldn't mind if it was closer to 435g in weight rather than the 370-390g.

With all that being said, the Minnis flannel is a high end fabric and will last you a long time. You can't go wrong with either. Hope thst helps.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Archipelagos