• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JTrent82

Reaction score
I got my cream brushed OCBD but it doesn't feel very brushed to me. It's actually got a smoother hand than their regular oxfords. It's not appropriate for colder temps imo. I'm going to send it back as it's just not what I was looking for.

edit: The off-white needlecord is :chefkiss: though.

Last edited:

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, also interested in what exactly doesn't work for you as I have issues with the pattern but find it difficult to find local alternatives (at a similar price point).
To be fair to SM, I won't be going elsewhere while keeping the price equal (would though I could!) when eschewing Spier trews. It'll run me more, but I'd rather pay a premium to get something better than something that is simply good enough.
Again, in fairness to Spier, my likes are extreme enough that they couldn't possibly incorporate it into even their block MTO model, so I can't fault them for it. ..just an unfortunate anatomical reality.

Last edited:

camez_

Reaction score

MellonC

Reaction score
But I think that's the issue. It's not a good pattern. They should pay more attention to the email rather than this thread, that's their main PoC. Things should not be escalated here in order to get their attention. Now I see why some people left the company.

The law is on your side..... (I don't think anything pushed the 30-day rule but it's comforting to know that the law is there).

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But I think that's the issue. It's not a good pattern. They should pay more attention to the email rather than this thread, that's their main PoC. Things should not be escalated here in order to get their attention. Now I see why some people left the company.
I agree with the initial statement, people should come here to applaud the company versus the thread with what seems to now be 25% fit pics, 25% how does this fit as sizing is inconsistent, and 50% order related issues and email not solving it

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
My experience has mostly been with the slim models but they have large waists and very narrow hips, and this is from someone without a big butt. My problem is I don't know where else to turn for reasonably priced tailored pants.

Gotta go with the contemporary, which is significantly more generous in the seat and thighs.

Is it that Spier seems to ignore that people have hips and a buttocks when making their pattern?

I think they're called women.

Found the poor guy suffering from Stage IV Noassatall.....

Allen22

Reaction score
Here are a couple of pics of the Magee Ulster in 40S, with only a t-shirt worn underneath.
img_4060-jpg.1870011

Isn't the waist put too high?

Last edited:

GoldenBrahms

Reaction score
Is it that Spier seems to ignore that people have hips and a buttocks when making their pattern? My experience has mostly been with the slim models but they have large waists and very narrow hips, and this is from someone without a big butt. My problem is I don't know where else to turn for reasonably priced tailored pants.

This has not been my experience, and I say that as someone who routinely has this issue with many brands (genetics and athletic training have blessed me with thicc thighs and junk in my trunk). Try the contemporary fit in your standard drop 6 suit size. These are typically a bit large for me in the waist, but fit my hips and thighs extremely well. Not quite large enough to warrant having the waist taken in. The adjustable tabs allow me to get it tight enough to wear without support, but I have buttons for braces added to all my dress trousers anyway.

Blondie87

Reaction score
Anyone have the light brown herringbone peacoat? Real life pics would be nice to see. Anyone know if the shoulders are padded or not? I know the overcoats aren’t but the peacoat description doesn’t mention shoulders.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By chance does anyone own the Vintage Oxford or Vintage Chambray shirts?? I am wondering on the difference and IRL pics

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair contemporary fit cotton trousers. I got a 32 waist instead of my usual 30. I had to take the waist in and have it let out in the seat, hips, thigh, and leg opening. Too much work for it to end up a mediocre fit.

Good news: S&M is developing a “classic fit” that will be more relaxed than the contemporary. Fingers crossed it works for us thicker folk.

inTROYspection

Reaction score
The waist is too high and a bit wide around the knees. It may be functional, but the fit is off. I was thinking about buying it but looking at the fit it is a hard pass.

Yeah, I sent it back to Spier the other day. The fabric is exactly what I'm looking for, but didn't like the fit. Will probably commission an MTO balmacaan with the same Magee fabric.

St1X

Reaction score
Just received gunclub check balmacaan.
I bought my regular suit size, but the sleeves are very skinny to wear it over the jacket and it doesn't have much fabric reserve in the sleeves to let it out. The chest is very snug, while there's plenty of room in the waist. Thankfully there's enough fabric reserves on the back seem to let it out a bit on the chest.
Needs plenty of tailoring, but I am very happy with it

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads