• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

zurich64

Reaction score
Good effort from everyone sharing their photos of the Ulster in the flesh. Perhaps the increased familiarity has me made a little more comfortable with it, but it remains a bold statement piece to pull off.

Would be great for someone to eventually post a picture of it in full flight out and about, perhaps even post alteration if anyone goes down that route.
For me, it will cost 200+ to have it altered to make it wearable, and so I am thinking of getting one custom-made. But currently, it is hard to justify the need as I already have a Black cashmere, a navy, a grey herringbone, a light brown cashmere, and lightweight (wool, cashmere linen silk blend) overcoats. All regular SB, so there is some margin to replace one of these with a DB Ulster of Polo coat. I use these 4-5 days a week from End of October to March/April in where I live.

I would go with a Harris tweed or similar fabric for this coat, as lighter weight fabrics for a coat like this need a very good fit. A bit lower buttoning point, better fit around shoulders and waist, and removal of excess fabric below the waist would make a better fit.

emiratiAL

Reaction score
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a custom balmacaan.

At the risk of asking this again: do you just select your normal SC size? (with an appreciation that it'll be ever so slightly looser given the nature of the overcoat!)

Imperatores

Reaction score
I think one of the main reasons why @breakaway01 looks a lot better in his Ulster is that he's wearing a fairly small size in relation to his height. A size 36 on a 5’10” frame. Seems like those are the kind of proportions you need for it. I wonder what he would've looked like if the Ulster was made up in a heavier tweed fabric as well. I feel like that would take it to the next level (along with some minor fit tweaks as mentioned previously).

Last edited:

Brennenman

Reaction score
For me, it will cost 200+ to have it altered to make it wearable, and so I am thinking of getting one custom-made. But currently, it is hard to justify the need as I already have a Black cashmere, a navy, a grey herringbone, a light brown cashmere, and lightweight (wool, cashmere linen silk blend) overcoats. All regular SB, so there is some margin to replace one of these with a DB Ulster of Polo coat. I use these 4-5 days a week from End of October to March/April in where I live.

I would go with a Harris tweed or similar fabric for this coat, as lighter weight fabrics for a coat like this need a very good fit. A bit lower buttoning point, better fit around shoulders and waist, and removal of excess fabric below the waist would make a better fit.
I say just send it and get a 6th coat. I’ve been eyeing a Harris tweed overcoat for a hot minute now

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for shots. Are you wearing a jacket underneath it? I find this picture too dark to see it. In the back, I cannot see the belt nor the pleats; not that you owe anyone a better picture and I appreciate you sharing in any event.. To alter the sleeves do you have to have it altered from the shoulder?
Sorry yes I can see that it’s hard to tell what’s going on in the back. Here’s a quick photo with the shadows pulled up. I’m wearing a jacket underneath. Frankly I have no idea how easy or difficult it would be to alter the sleeves with turnback cuffs.
View attachment 1689486

I had my tailor shorten the sleeve on a similar coat.

1) You do not have to do it from the shoulder.
2) It is more work than sleeves without turnback cuffs, but not super difficult, nor impossible.

He charged me a slight premium over "normal sleeves" but nothing exorbitant. I don't recall the exact amount, but was about a 50% upcharge (so a normal $20 job was $30) for the turnback cuffed sleeves.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@orange fury did you get your trench? and did you go TTS or size up?
I was all set to size up, but the photos of the ulster, to the extent representative of the fit of the trench, have me re-thinking

Hudson

Reaction score
Surely those chunky cardigans are going to be restocked soon...i've been salivating over them for a good two weeks now.

MacGuffen

Reaction score
Just a friendly reminder amidst all the overcoat talk that Spier and Mackay's sportscoats are still awesome. This is a Brisbane Moss moleskin MTO. Please excuse the shoeless look, we don't use shoes indoors here.

C1D32782-392F-4C9B-B72D-C53085FCE25E.jpeg

31D1EB58-129F-440B-867A-2695146FD779.jpeg

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a friendly reminder amidst all the overcoat talk that Spier and Mackay's sportscoats are still awesome. This is a Brisbane Moss moleskin MTO. Please excuse the shoeless look, we don't use shoes indoors here.

View attachment 1689814
View attachment 1689813

Superb! I have the same in RTW and hoping for matching high rise trousers this season - there was mention of them on here, but still no teaser or preview.

Imperatores

Reaction score

View attachment 1689814
View attachment 1689813

Amazing fit. I rarely see moleskin jackets looking this good. Is this the dark brown Brisbane Moss? If so, I have the matching trousers. Such a great cloth.

Only cavemen wear shoes in their own homes, btw.

Superb! I have the same in RTW and hoping for matching high rise trousers this season - there was mention of them on here, but still no teaser or preview.

There's definitely high-rise moleskins coming. Unfortunately no regular rise, though. I was hoping for regular rise moleskins with flat front, extended waistband and side adjusters.

MacGuffen

Reaction score
Amazing fit. I rarely see moleskin jackets looking this good. Is this the dark brown Brisbane Moss? If so, I have the matching trousers. Such a great cloth.

Only cavemen wear shoes in their own homes, btw.

There's definitely high-rise moleskins coming. Unfortunately no regular rise, though. I was hoping for regular rise moleskins with flat front, extended waistband and side adjusters.
Indeed it is!
Fabric: Dark Brown Moleskin
Fabric SKU: M25-DK-Brown-1419-MTO-J

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads