• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used HMS' or VBC's herringbone fabrics currently offered in the MTO section for suits? Considering having a herringbone suit made, but not sure about the difference between the HMS and VBC offers besides the weight. Another thing making me reluctant is the scale of the pattern. Its not obvious from the pics.

Screenshot_20211010_132605_com.android.chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20211010_132630_com.android.chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20211010_132933_com.android.chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20211010_133007_com.android.chrome.jpg

The HMS charcoal (last pic) features the same details as the HMS navy fabric.

Leaning towards the HMS fabric since it's heavier and I don't intend on using it during summer.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used HMS' or VBC's herringbone fabrics currently offered in the MTO section for suits? Considering having a herringbone suit made, but not sure about the difference between the HMS and VBC offers besides the weight. Another thing making me reluctant is the scale of the pattern. Its not obvious from the pics.

View attachment 1682766 View attachment 1682767 View attachment 1682768 View attachment 1682769

The HMS charcoal (last pic) features the same details as the HMS navy fabric.

Leaning towards the HMS fabric since it's heavier and I don't intend on using it during summer.

My experience is that HMS is rougher than VBC. So a matter of your preference.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rick is now claiming that the chalk striped VBC fabrics are semi carded, which means they're hybrids between woolen and worsted. Don't know what that means as I've never tried something like it. But thought I'd share it since I was told they're woolen before.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Could you please elaborate? Do you mean rougher texture and not smooth as in not as suitable for suiting?

Perfectly suitable for suiting. Just the hand feels rougher to me with the HMS vs VBC. Not surprising as HMS sources from India and China as well thus reflected in their lower price and most likely lower tier than VBC. Personally I wouldn't go with anything lower than Drago + VBC for MTO that I may keep longer than rtws.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
VBC with their production volume is cheapest for value.

Rather than focusing on budget I think it's time SM offers VBC's more technical fabrics like the machine washable wrinkle resistant line which would be ideal for all their unstructured jackets / suits:

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rather than focusing on budget I think it's time SM offers VBC's more technical fabrics like the machine washable wrinkle resistant line which would be ideal for all their unstructured jackets / suits:

Rather than focusing on machine washing fabrics I think it would be better to offer more luxurious, heavier weight / higher Supers, from other mills / merchants than VBC. I’m thinking Scabal, Loro etc.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I missed out on the Gray Prince of Wales Overcoat. Looking for a 44 if anyone ordered and isn't going to keep.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads