• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm supposed to be looking at Clearance jackets, but instead this double breasted jacket in VBC serge wool has my eye. This must have been a stealth drop. I didn't see it until just now. Anyway I don't need another navy jacket, but I have been looking for a DB appropriate for winter wear.
SpierAndMackayFW20_874-601-5964_24575-Edit-5.jpg
Anybody have it or seen it IRL? It is described as triple patch, but the photo clearly shows a curved breast pocket.
Also wondering whether it is appropriate for winter wear? Its listed at 330 gsm, but that may not mean much if it is a very open weave. Comments?

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm supposed to be looking at Clearance jackets, but instead this double breasted jacket in VBC serge wool has my eye. This must have been a stealth drop. I didn't see it until just now. Anyway I don't need another navy jacket, but I have been looking for a DB appropriate for winter wear.
View attachment 1532351
Anybody have it or seen it IRL? It is described as triple patch, but the photo clearly shows a curved breast pocket.
Also wondering whether it is appropriate for winter wear? Its listed at 330 gsm, but that may not mean much if it is a very open weave. Comments?
I’ve got my eye on it, too. Hope to purchase in the next couple of weeks. I asked about the breast pocket. See the response in the picture.

Attachments

• A00F8CE4-4937-48A1-80F9-D2022106E4B5.png
    A00F8CE4-4937-48A1-80F9-D2022106E4B5.png
    157.5 KB · Views: 88

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve got my eye on it, too. Hope to purchase in the next couple of weeks. I asked about the breast pocket. See the response in the picture.
thanks very much. Do you understand the Reply to mean that they have that jacket in stock with curved and with patch breast pockets? That would be unusual. Or do you think they were saying you can have either style breast pocket if you order it MTO?

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks very much. Do you understand the Reply to mean that they have that jacket in stock with curved and with patch breast pockets? That would be unusual. Or do you think they were saying you can have either style breast pocket if you order it MTO?
Good question, one which I considered after receiving such a response. I didn't investigate further, but surmise they mean MTO.

Philip_85

Reaction score
Looking for some sizing advice.
I wanted to give the brand a try so I bought a sport coat during their recent sale. I got the Minnis mocklino navy sport coat neapolitan contemporary cut in 44L. The jacket arrived and I think it fits quite well in the shoulders. The cut is still too slim to even come close to buttoning. I took it to a tailor today and they said there wasn't enough material to let the jacket out enough to make it fit. They recommended I size up make the necessary adjustments, including altering the shoulder width. This doesn't seem practical. I'd rather give their MTO option a try or simply accept that the S&P cut isn't for me and move on to a different maker.
What are your thoughts on this fit. How would you modify it if you were going to place an MTO order?
My right shoulder droops, that's just how I am. Also, I'll thank everyone for not pointing out that the best solution to this problem is to shed 20 lbs.
Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    73.9 KB · Views: 99
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    84.7 KB · Views: 94
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    54.2 KB · Views: 106
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    58.7 KB · Views: 114

Spyder187

Reaction score
Anyone know how much the waist in the slim fit can be let out?

Edit: hmm on the size charts, it says up to 1.5". I wonder if anyone has done closer to 2"

I've looked at the back and let it out from the center seam and you maybe get 2cm total from there. The side seams I just looked maybe 1.5cm max from each so 5cm total which is close to 2 inches but don't think you could get 2 inches.

EddieK

Reaction score
I wanted to give the brand a try so I bought a sport coat during their recent sale. I got the Minnis mocklino navy sport coat neapolitan contemporary cut in 44L. The jacket arrived and I think it fits quite well in the shoulders. The cut is still too slim to even come close to buttoning. I took it to a tailor today and they said there wasn't enough material to let the jacket out enough to make it fit. They recommended I size up make the necessary adjustments, including altering the shoulder width. This doesn't seem practical. I'd rather give their MTO option a try or simply accept that the S&P cut isn't for me and move on to a different maker.
What are your thoughts on this fit. How would you modify it if you were going to place an MTO order?
My right shoulder droops, that's just how I am. Also, I'll thank everyone for not pointing out that the best solution to this problem is to shed 20 lbs.
Thanks for any help.
Besides the sleeve length and waist, everything else fits pretty well. The upper back could be a tad bit cleaner but that's not really a big deal. Upsizing may make the most sense, or lose a few pounds in the belly? ?

wildcat10

Reaction score
Thanks for any help.
I would order a 46L to try out.

I agree with you that it doesn't seem like a good idea to let the tailor try to change the shoulder width. See if you can live with the 46L without modifying the shoulders. Try the 46L and see if you can button it comfortably.

Then you can decide one of two options:
  1. Keep the 46L and just adjust the sleeve length
  2. Order MTO. Start with the baseline of 44L, as it seems to fit you pretty well except for 1 inch too long in sleeve, plus the waist. Modify the waist to the size of the 46L.

anonymouz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Despite the size charts showing no difference in the chest and waist measurements between the Neo and regular fits, I'm seeing some mentions that there definitely is more room in the Neo cut. If that's the case, how much of a difference is there?

I've looked at the back and let it out from the center seam and you maybe get 2cm total from there. The side seams I just looked maybe 1.5cm max from each so 5cm total which is close to 2 inches but don't think you could get 2 inches.

Much appreciated!

Last edited:

asewonder

Reaction score
Im looking for advice on sport coat sizing between a 38 contemp vs slim (neo cut) and have some data points that may help. Any input would be greatly appreciated as I’d like to take advantage of the liquidation.

- I’m 5’6, 145 lbs, 38 inch chest measurement
- I tried a 36 contemp suit and though I could wear it, it felt small and the accompanying trousers were definitely too small. The regular felt better than the short but I imagine in a size up the short would work better
- Oxford shirt in Size 15 contemp fits well (15 slim was too slim)
- Shawl collar cardigan in Small is right in a long, slouchy way
- Regular merino turtleneck in Medium was a little loose but perfect after a cold hand wash
- Newest Polo shirt was too slim in Small

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im looking for advice on sport coat sizing between a 38 contemp vs slim (neo cut) and have some data points that may help. Any input would be greatly appreciated as I’d like to take advantage of the liquidation.

- I’m 5’6, 145 lbs, 38 inch chest measurement
- I tried a 36 contemp suit and though I could wear it, it felt small and the accompanying trousers were definitely too small. The regular felt better than the short but I imagine in a size up the short would work better
- Oxford shirt in Size 15 contemp fits well (15 slim was too slim)
- Shawl collar cardigan in Small is right in a long, slouchy way
- Regular merino turtleneck in Medium was a little loose but perfect after a cold hand wash
- Newest Polo shirt was too slim in Small
Pretty sure contempt will be a better fit for you. I have similar measurements and find 38 slim jackets and 15 slim in oxford shirt fit well.

Devis4u

Reaction score
Hi all, I picked up the navy donegal suit and was wondering if you guys had any recommendations as to what the upper limit of formality/occasions would be? I figured it will be a good fit for nice dates, occasionally for work (business casual environment), and other semi formal engagements in the cooler months. Essentially I would treat it like I would a light grey or lighter blue suit. I appreciate any insight

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads