• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Irish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: trousers, how does S&M Slim compare to EP's Walt cut? The only pant I have from S&M is in the contemporary cut, which works well in the moleskin. But there is a pair left on sale that I've been eyeing, only available in Slim. The measurements seem pretty close to Walt, which would be great. I'd appreciate any opinions from the thread. Cheers.

Wilson13

Reaction score
Has there ever been consideration to making casual shirts that are shorter and appropriate for leaving untucked? I don't tuck in my casual shirts, and would love to try some OCBDs and chambrays, but the standard shirt length is way too long to consider not tucking in. At least for me.

The shirt category is also called Dress Shirts while being a catch-all for all the shirts that are made (from TM to denim), and is curiously called "Men's Casual Dress Shirts."

I could always go MTM, but it's almost twice the price: $55 for OTR and $99 for MTM for OCDBs for example.

MTM bundle price will get you $79 CAD per shirt (I believe - I live in the US). Additionally, you could spend probably $15 or less at your tailor to shorten the shirt.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: trousers, how does S&M Slim compare to EP's Walt cut? The only pant I have from S&M is in the contemporary cut, which works well in the moleskin. But there is a pair left on sale that I've been eyeing, only available in Slim. The measurements seem pretty close to Walt, which would be great. I'd appreciate any opinions from the thread. Cheers.

You should be okay ordering your Walt size.

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MTM bundle price will get you $79 CAD per shirt (I believe - I live in the US). Additionally, you could spend probably $15 or less at your tailor to shorten the shirt.

I'm not certain where you are located, but I'm pretty sure it would cost more than $15 to shorten a shirt in Toronto. Plus it would mess up the proportions of the buttonholes. And at that point, it's probably best to go with the bundle price on MTM, as I'd be able to modify the length and the sleeves, the latter of which I find too full.

Thanks for the reminder about that. I'd really like to replace a blue university stripe OCDB which has started to wear away at the collar and cuffs after about 5-6 years, but I guess I'll just wait till I need three shirts all at once and bite the bullet. Which probably means putting off the purchase for a long time.

sobecane

Reaction score
Not sure about you guys but the 14.5 Slim Shirts are very short and I can wear them non-tucked. In fact, the business shirts I have often are hard to keep tucked in because they are so short.

NoNameNecessary

Reaction score
Not sure about you guys but the 14.5 Slim Shirts are very short and I can wear them non-tucked. In fact, the business shirts I have often are hard to keep tucked in because they are so short.
I agree, 14.5 is marked 29 inches, which is same as 36 SC length, after shrinkage is about 28 inches, which is a tad longer than untucked length. I think for a business shirt, it has to be at least the same as SC length (cover your ass) to be easily tucked in. Untucked shirt usually, 2 or 2.5 inches shorter

Add, I think the main problem with S&M shirts is shrinkage. The sales people cannot be sure how much the shirt will shrink theirselves, as different fabric shrink differently. Especially for MTM, going up a inch for all measurements does not really work. I highly suggest add 2 or more prewash cycle for all the fabric before cut the shirts

Last edited:

burgerkong

Reaction score
All S&M today with the exception of the belt, boots and socks.

20180306_115207.jpg

thedose

Reaction score
I agree, 14.5 is marked 29 inches, which is same as 36 SC length, after shrinkage is about 28 inches, which is a tad longer than untucked length. I think for a business shirt, it has to be at least the same as SC length (cover your ass) to be easily tucked in. Untucked shirt usually, 2 or 2.5 inches shorter

Maybe you guys should start wearing higher rise trousers? I don't have any issues with 28inch shirts staying tucked in, hell, I even have some that have shrunk to like 26 inches that stay tucked in, but I wear my trousers at my natural waist... eh?

Torzano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has there ever been consideration to making casual shirts that are shorter and appropriate for leaving untucked? I don't tuck in my casual shirts, and would love to try some OCBDs and chambrays, but the standard shirt length is way too long to consider not tucking in. At least for me.

The shirt category is also called Dress Shirts while being a catch-all for all the shirts that are made (from TM to denim), and is curiously called "Men's Casual Dress Shirts."

I could always go MTM, but it's almost twice the price: $55 for OTR and $99 for MTM for OCDBs for example.
I always found my shirts to be a perfect length for either. They don’t have a long length at all compared to brooks Brothers or Charles Tyrwhitt. I always wear my oxford shirt untucked.

jtorres94

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions on where to look for high-rise pants that won't break the bank?

Depends what break the bank is for you.

For decent quality and decent rise I've found that Berg and Berg have some RTW for $196 or $188 depending on the cloth. Not S&M prices but sadly nothing RTW at the moment from them.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xlagane