• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Masry

Reaction score
I think it's best to avoid patterned trousers with this jacket. With every jacket in general, but with this jacket too.

On a more serious, less The Office note, I actually picked up this jacket over the weekend and I'm looking forward to wearing it this week. So your question is quite timely for me.

I've got navy, light grey and mid-grey flannel, a mid-grey tweed, and a light oatmeal. Will try them out and chime in at some point with what I think worked best.

I have that same range too. I went with a beige Brooks Brothers dress pant I rarely wear. It's a decent color combination. I also have a pair of sort-of oatmeal donegal tweed pants from Epaulet that would be complementary though I'm not entirely certain that it will work; might be way too much "texture." But we'll see.

DFWWingnut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there any reason why S&M hasn't had beige, khaki, or tan wool trousers the past few seasons? I need to replace a 10 year old pair and keep hoping for something to pop-up.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m looking for the perfect plain blue dress shirt. I’ve gotta bunch of them in sky blue fine twill but am wondering if there’s a better option...

namely whether the medium blue is a more classic dress shirt color, and whether I should branch out to royal twill instead. Anyone have experience here?

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there any reason why S&M hasn't had beige, khaki, or tan wool trousers the past few seasons? I need to replace a 10 year old pair and keep hoping for something to pop-up.

Probably because they had them in tweed and moleskin.
You typically don’t see beige and khaki tone flannels all that often across the board.

Although I agree, a nice fawn coloured flannel is hard to beat.

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C88D2E43-4FEB-49C3-BD4D-054D462D5485.jpeg
0A7210AB-B297-4A34-B8D4-99858620BBA4.jpeg

I tried out my mid-grey trousers, and it didn't look good with those. Even my wife felt that it didn't work, and suggested navy or brown (I think after all these years she's actually quite engaged in conversations about my wardrobe... well, some conversations anyway).

These are navy flannels, and I think they work well together.

Summary:
mid-grey - tried but didn't work.
navy - works.
light grey - haven't tried, may not work.
light camel - I think this might work.

This jacket was a bit of an odd choice for me, because I'm trying to maintain a wardrobe that has really good staples and things that I really love and will wear often. However, for winter I already have about three sportcoats, and I really wanted one more and felt it would be okay to get one that's a bit more bold.

So even though it's not a navy or a dark brown I could throw on with almost anything, I feel it's still a great addition.

This jacket is actually still in stock in lots of sizes at just $250CAD, which I think is a steal. If the brown check was in stock in 36 I'd probably be tempted to get it.

Last edited:

kammerer66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m looking for the perfect plain blue dress shirt. I’ve gotta bunch of them in sky blue fine twill but am wondering if there’s a better option...

namely whether the medium blue is a more classic dress shirt color, and whether I should branch out to royal twill instead. Anyone have experience here?

I hesitate ordering royal twill because it is said to be shiny. S&M pinpoint oxford is a bit shiny, but not in a bad way - it just makes the shirt look a little dressier. I am going to try fine twill next.

Regarding sky blue vs. mid-blue - it depends on whether you like more contrast between the shirt and the jacket, or not. To me it seems that mid-blue shirt will work either with a very dark jacket, or a very light one. Otherwise there's not enough contrast.

upload_2018-3-5_16-54-32.png

But, if the shirt has interesting texture, it becomes a different story.

upload_2018-3-5_16-57-26.png

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 936199
View attachment 936200

I tried out my mid-grey trousers, and it didn't look good with those. Even my wife felt that it didn't work, and suggested navy or brown (I think after all these years she's actually quite engaged in conversations about my wardrobe... well, some conversations anyway).

These are navy flannels, and I think they work well together.

Summary:
mid-grey - tried but didn't work.
navy - works.
light grey - haven't tried, may not work.
light camel - I think this might work.

This jacket was a bit of an odd choice for me, because I'm trying to maintain a wardrobe that has really good staples and things that I really love and will wear often. However, for winter I already have about three sportcoats, and I really wanted one more and felt it would be okay to get one that's a bit more bold.

So even though it's not a navy or a dark brown I could throw on with almost anything, I feel it's still a great addition.

This jacket is actually still in stock in lots of sizes at just $250CAD, which I think is a steal. If the brown check was in stock in 36 I'd probably be tempted to get it.

That tie is great.

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has there ever been consideration to making casual shirts that are shorter and appropriate for leaving untucked? I don't tuck in my casual shirts, and would love to try some OCBDs and chambrays, but the standard shirt length is way too long to consider not tucking in. At least for me.

The shirt category is also called Dress Shirts while being a catch-all for all the shirts that are made (from TM to denim), and is curiously called "Men's Casual Dress Shirts."

I could always go MTM, but it's almost twice the price: $55 for OTR and $99 for MTM for OCDBs for example.

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has there ever been consideration to making casual shirts that are shorter and appropriate for leaving untucked? I don't tuck in my casual shirts, and would love to try some OCBDs and chambrays, but the standard shirt length is way too long to consider not tucking in. At least for me.

The shirt category is also called Dress Shirts while being a catch-all for all the shirts that are made (from TM to denim), and is curiously called "Men's Casual Dress Shirts."

I could always go MTM, but it's almost twice the price: $55 for OTR and $99 for MTM for OCDBs for example.

I would like this as well. I love S&M for dress clothes, but buy Taylorstitch casual shirts. The length is great untucked.

Spex

Reaction score

My absolute favourite blue dress shirt is my light blue Kamakura Shirts broadcloth shirt that I've been wearing for 5 years (and it still looks brand new). It's made from a Supima 110 cotton and their shirts all come standard with unfused collars and cuffs (ok, not really relevant to the question). I feel that the lighter the colour, the easier it is to pair with most jackets and trousers. If I were to have a "one shirt" for work, it would be this.
NYC006213990.jpg

I don't like medium blue at all for a dress shirt, although if in a casual material like the example above, it is fine (but not as dressy anymore). I have a Spier & Mackay MTM blue pinpoint shirt and as mentioned, it's a bit shiny. Royal twill, as suggested, may also come off as a bit shiny.

This "pale blue" poplin shirt from S&M seems to be closest to my Kamakura shirt, but is out of stock. I can't find this type of material with I search the Custom Shirts section either.

https://www.spierandmackay.com/very-pale-blue-poplin-slim.html

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads