• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The OCBD fabric is fine, although I'm keeping mine for colder months use too hefty for summer humidity. I have realized I very much dislike the box pleat on this and would only buy again if it was removed.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The Spier and Mackay website is no bueno for people with anxiety. It should be fixed.

New site is in the finishing stages.

Hoping we can get the dressier, less burly ocbd in uni stripes also, as I'd like to wear them to work and thr standard ocbd is a bit too rumpled and warm for my setting.

The brushing made them feel thicker than they actually are. We're scaling back on the amount of brushing on future shirts. I'm sure the Texas heat can be extra warm.

The OCBD fabric is fine, although I'm keeping mine for colder months use too hefty for summer humidity. I have realized I very much dislike the box pleat on this and would only buy again if it was removed.

The group that is under production has the Box Pleat. If enough guys want it omitted, we'll take it out. We kept it in for traditional sake. But maybe it's time for a change!

Last edited:

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The group that is under production has the Box Pleat. If enough guys want it omitted, we'll take it out. We kept it in for traditional sake. But maybe it's time for a change!

No problem on my account. Always ok to MTM. I found the waist on the OCBD smaller than my other shirts, might have just been the 1 off, will wear the other and see if its the same.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a shill here....

Just want to give a shout-out re the outstanding and prompt service Rick and the team provided in fixing a minor tailoring misunderstanding.

flvinny521

Reaction score
Not a shill here....

Just want to give a shout-out re the outstanding and prompt service Rick and the team provided in fixing a minor tailoring misunderstanding.

I have to agree. I sent some pics of my first MTM shirt for advice on a future MTM order, and Rick has gone above and beyond my expectations.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The brushing made them feel thicker than they actually are. We're scaling back on the amount of brushing on future shirts. I'm sure the Texas heat can be extra warm.
Yeah exactly, I have pretty extreme requirements (more because of the humidity than the heat) and it's not fair to impose my location imposed preferences on the rest of customers. I'd like to try the pinpoint oxford or whatever it's called at some point, especially if the fabric becomes available in uni stripe as an MTM, but I'm otherwise pretty happy with y'alls OCBDs. Wore an old Brooks pinpoint oxford today and it made me miss how nicely yours is cut.

Spex

Reaction score
My feeling is that any brushing or otherwise wearing down of the fabric should be earned through years of wear.
smile.gif

Pinpoint is a decent alternative if you're looking for a dressier version of an OCBD, but doesn't quite have the same look. I have 2 MTM S&M shirts in pinpoint oxford, but designed as spread collar dress shirts.

I have used a well ironed, normal white BB OCBD as an evening out type dress shirt with no tie, and it didn't come off as particularly casual, because the surface was not brushed or otherwise fuzzy looking. I think the versatility of an OCBD comes from being able to iron it for dressier occasions, or wearing it rumpled and untucked for a casual day out. I feel as if a brushed OCBD eliminates the first possibility.

Rick, have you ever come across any uni-stripe pinpoint oxford? I would jump on that for more spread collar shirts for my FW office wardrobe (which is when I wear the pinpoint spread collar shirts I ordered).

Last edited:

bossman08

Reaction score

New site is in the finishing stages.

Yes, count me in the camp that wants box pleat eliminated. In fact, I'd eliminate it all together...a pleat-less back is much better fitting and cleaner look.

Also, do you plan on adding any plain white dress shirts in slim fit, with spread collar? Kinda surprised none are listed on the site.

Spex

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what does "Reversed Fused Collar for extra comfort" mean with respect to some of the collars? What type of fusing = less comfort?

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Yes, count me in the camp that wants box pleat eliminated. In fact, I'd eliminate it all together...a pleat-less back is much better fitting and cleaner look.

Also, do you plan on adding any plain white dress shirts in slim fit, with spread collar? Kinda surprised none are listed on the site.

We're at the tail end of a season and in transition. Most of the basics have been cleared out. More are on the way.

Out of curiosity, what does "Reversed Fused Collar for extra comfort" mean with respect to some of the collars? What type of fusing = less comfort?

The band is fused on the outer layer away from the neck. The inner layer, which is free of any fusing is what comes in contact with the neck. This is a much more comfortable way to make the collar. The other good option is a non-fused band altogether.

Cheaper shirts will fuse the inner layer of the band as it shows for a better shelf presentation.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in for keeping the box pleat. It adds an interesting visual element when worn casually, and if worn more formally it shouldn't matter because it's covered with a jacket.

Also, if the shirts get any slimmer than the current contemporary fit then I can't buy OTR S&M anymore.

CMAc7

Reaction score
The gunchecks are superb as well. I thought you were releasing some items next week. Was this just the bengal and university stripe shirts?

In any case, given the previews I have seen, F/W 2016 looks to be your best release yet. Keep up the good work.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Will any of the F/W fabrics be available for MTM?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads