• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spending 5 days in New York, including NYE - What to wear?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^ The bus is the best way to go between UWS and UES.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
^^^ The bus is the best way to go between UWS and UES.

Indeed, that is probably true. I guess I avoid the UES, so I wouldn't really have personal knowledge though. Plus I have a car.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm still amazed by how many people think NYC is so convenient to get around in. I lived there for 4 years, spent most of my time living in Brooklyn and working in Manhattan, and it takes forever to do anything. I've been on every subway line all over the city countless times, and some are better than others, but to say that you only have to wait 3 minutes for a train, and it takes 7 minutes to go 40 blocks is stretching it a bit. I'm sure it happens, but only during weekday rush hours, so anyone visiting on the weekend (good luck finding an express train) or midday during the week is going to be waiting much longer.

I think it's a great city and come back to visit often, since I have some friends and family that still live there, but I don't get why some people convince themselves that it's one of the most convenient cities in the world. I enjoyed many aspects about living there, but there are a lot of things I don't miss at all.....like walking 10 blocks to the grocery store, then carrying 12 plastic bags full of food back to my 4th floor brownstone in 95 degree summer heat. Back then I thought it was cool that I was living the NYC experience, but now I'm glad I can drive to the Safeway that's 2 minutes from my house and load my trunk up with stuff, then drive home and park in my driveway.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse
I've been on every subway line all over the city countless times, and some are better than others, but to say that you only have to wait 3 minutes for a train, and it takes 7 minutes to go 40 blocks is stretching it a bit. I'm sure it happens, but only during weekday rush hours, so anyone visiting on the weekend (good luck finding an express train) or midday during the week is going to be waiting much longer.

Of course it's a totally different story if you life outside of Manhattan.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Of course it's a totally different story if you life outside of Manhattan.

Very true, but I still don't think NYC is this marvel of efficiency that some people make it out to be. I can still get twice the stuff done in half the amount of time with a car in a different city.

cbarr

Reaction score
I don't get why some people convince themselves that it's one of the most convenient cities in the world. I enjoyed many aspects about living there, but there are a lot of things I don't miss at all.....like walking 10 blocks to the grocery store, then carrying 12 plastic bags full of food back to my 4th floor brownstone in 95 degree summer heat. Back then I thought it was cool that I was living the NYC experience, but now I'm glad I can drive to the Safeway that's 2 minutes from my house and load my trunk up with stuff, then drive home and park in my driveway.

Yes, but here, you can simply pick up the phone or order groceries online, and spend your time doing better things.

There are many measures of convenience.

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score
I'm still amazed by how many people think NYC is so convenient to get around in. I lived there for 4 years, spent most of my time living in Brooklyn and working in Manhattan, and it takes forever to do anything. I've been on every subway line all over the city countless times, and some are better than others, but to say that you only have to wait 3 minutes for a train, and it takes 7 minutes to go 40 blocks is stretching it a bit. I'm sure it happens, but only during weekday rush hours, so anyone visiting on the weekend (good luck finding an express train) or midday during the week is going to be waiting much longer.

I think it's a great city and come back to visit often, since I have some friends and family that still live there, but I don't get why some people convince themselves that it's one of the most convenient cities in the world. I enjoyed many aspects about living there, but there are a lot of things I don't miss at all.....like walking 10 blocks to the grocery store, then carrying 12 plastic bags full of food back to my 4th floor brownstone in 95 degree summer heat. Back then I thought it was cool that I was living the NYC experience, but now I'm glad I can drive to the Safeway that's 2 minutes from my house and load my trunk up with stuff, then drive home and park in my driveway.

Think about how much worse (and how much more dangerous) carrying 12 plastic bags full of food to your 4th floor brownstone in 32 degree and lower winter cold cold (even if it is sunny and especially if there is a winter storm-most of all, if there is a blizzard) than it is to do the same in 95 and higher summer heat.

It is disturbing (and even depraved) how so many people fear extreme heat yet they usually do not fear or have much less of a fear of cold and especially winter storms (even blizzards) unless it is under ten degrees Fahrenheit.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cbarr
Yes, but here, you can simply pick up the phone or order groceries online, and spend your time doing better things.

There are many measures of convenience.

Yes, but you're paying a high premium for that convenience. I've ordered FreshDirect before and they overcharge for everything. I live in Baltimore now and I can have my food delivered to my house here too, but I choose not to because it's cheaper and just as easy for me to go get it myself.

Originally Posted by OxxfordSJLINY
Think about how much worse (and how much more dangerous) carrying 12 plastic bags full of food to your 4th floor brownstone in 32 degree and lower winter cold cold (even if it is sunny and especially if there is a winter storm-most of all, if there is a blizzard) than it is to do the same in 95 and higher summer heat.

It is disturbing (and even depraved) how so many people fear extreme heat yet they usually do not fear or have much less of a fear of cold and especially winter storms (even blizzards) unless it is under ten degrees Fahrenheit.

I was just giving an example when I mentioned the summer heat...I've also done the same thing in freezing temperatures and snow as well, and I agree, it's not very fun or safe.

cbarr

Reaction score
Yes, but you're paying a high premium for that convenience.

Well, the discussion is around convenience, not value.

Personally I'll happily pay $20 extra for my (staple) groceries, to have that hour of my life to do other things.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cbarr
Well, the discussion is around convenience, not value.

Personally I'll happily pay $20 extra for my (staple) groceries, to have that hour of my life to do other things.

This actually proves how inconvenient some activities in NYC are. If it was easy to go out and buy groceries, then companies like FreshDirect wouldn't exist. People pay a premium for the service because it's a pain ********** to do otherwise. I'm not hating on anyone who enjoys living in NYC, I enjoyed many things about the city when I lived there, I just wanted to make a point that I've talked to lots of people that exaggerate when talking about the "convenience" of the city.

Sorry, didn't mean to derail acecow's thread...as some others have stated, I wouldn't go too overboard buying a whole new wardrobe for 5 days in a different climate. Since you'll be walking a lot, make sure you have some very comfortable shoes. And be sure to wear lots of layers, since it will be freezing outside and very hot inside most places.

EBugatti

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
As a long time resident, New York is convenient if you have money. Period. Then you can take the subway when it suits you, but have your car service on speed dial when you need it. You can afford to pay extra to have your groceries delivered, a maid to clean your apt., your clothes and linens professionally cleaned, your shirts ironed by said maid, etc. You cab or car service around town in the evenings so your date doesn't have to walk to far in her heels. Fully cooked steaks and lobsters are delivered piping hot and cooked to order. Your doorman gets the door for you, your packages, etc.--maybe even the elevator. Service is everywhere, but at a price.

In short, the most efficient way of life for people that can afford it. If you can't--if you have to schlep around town in freezing or super-hot weather carrying bags, walking up endless flights of creaky stairs and waiting in the rain for a cab that won't come, the city is quite inefficient, to be sure.

The bus??? Who takes the bus???

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBugatti
As a long time resident, New York is convenient if you have money. Period. Then you can take the subway when it suits you, but have your car service on speed dial when you need it. You can afford to pay extra to have your groceries delivered, a maid to clean your apt., your clothes and linens professionally cleaned, your shirts ironed by said maid, etc. You cab or car service around town in the evenings so your date doesn't have to walk to far in her heels. Fully cooked steaks and lobsters are delivered piping hot and cooked to order. Your doorman gets the door for you, your packages, etc.--maybe even the elevator. Service is everywhere, but at a price.

In short, the most efficient way of life for people that can afford it. If you can't--if you have to schlep around town in freezing or super-hot weather carrying bags, walking up endless flights of creaky stairs and waiting in the rain for a cab that won't come, the city is quite inefficient, to be sure.

+1 You said this perfectly, for those who can afford all those luxuries, then NYC is probably the best place to live. For the rest of us, it still might be fun, but it's not quite as efficient.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBugatti

This is spoken like it is so uncommon and you need to be extraordinarily wealthy to accomplish this. This is perfectly attainable given the opportunities in the city.

EBugatti

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
This is spoken like it is so uncommon and you need to be extraordinarily wealthy to accomplish this. This is perfectly attainable given the opportunities in the city.

I never said it was uncommon. I merely stated the driver--the lubricant--necessary to make the city "efficient". Poasters above were battling it out: some saying efficient, some saying not, but were really they are comparing apples to oranges. NYC for the struggling grad student/artist/recent grad is very different from NYC for the successful business professional (both of which are plentiful in the City).

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KenneSherry