• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sources for historical newspapers

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I am looking for issues of the Manchester Guardian, Morning Post, and Daily Telegraph from the summer of 1914. I can't find digital versions using the typical databases.

I've sent an e-mail to the subject librarian for history, but there are some academics on this board and they may be able to help. Thanks in advance.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
I'm guessing from the papers you are looking for that the subject has nothing to do with America but the National Archives were deemed to be too large to have a centralized location in (I think) the mid-eighties. At that time they were regionalized. The one in Seattle is absolutely massive, is open to the public and has information dating back to the 1800's. You probably have one in your state (Ohio or New York?) You might want to research your topic there, you could probably be able to find the local ramifications of any subject you are searching for.

B1FF

Reaction score
Do you need the issues/certain articles for a particular day, or access to the entire summer runs for each?

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
These are British papers.
Gathered that. Manchester Guardian was an easy tell. The Seattle archive hold articles from too many foreign papers/sources to list.

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your university library can probably obtain them through interlibrary loan. I'd guess most extant copies would be on microfilm or microfiche.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bird's One View
Your university library can probably obtain them through interlibrary loan. I'd guess most extant copies would be on microfilm or microfiche.

This

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bird's One View
Originally Posted by JustinW
This
Yeah, that will likely have to be the route. Was hoping for an online resource though. Thanks robin, will check that out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads