• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Songs that blew you away the first time you heard them

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roy
Hurt by Johnny Cash
+1. This one got me good... annoying that it got remixed into a hip-hop song, which promptly ruined it.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. edit: holy crap that's the first time I have ever seen the video and damn it's gay.

runner-guy

Reaction score
Catherine Wheel - "Black Metallic"
Smashing Pumpkins - "Cherub Rock"
Afghan Whigs - "Gentleman"
Tragically Hip - "Nautical Disaster"
Death Cab for Cutie - "I Will Possess Your Heart"

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not checking through the whole thread to check, but if it hasn't been posted already (it should have been):

Neil Young - Like a hurricane

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By no means comprehensive, but a few that came to mind.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
Basically anything on the Loveless album, but this especially. Shoegaze came along during my awkward teenage years when sound did a better job of describing how you felt than words did.

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
This was also during my formative years and stirred the historical romantic in me at the time. NOTE: This is not the crappy abbreviated studio version that was released on the soundtrack. You gotta torrent the original score to find this. Glad somebody posted it on YouTube.

My dad had already converted me as a kid to Fairport Convention so when I heard Maddy Prior singing this, I was floored. Especially since it got to number 14 on the charts.

First heard this live when I was going through some stuff with my own dad. If I had a good singing voice, I would sing this to my own son as a lullaby.

12 years old and smoking my first cigarette and drinking vodka from a bottle that was concealed in a soccer sock on the roof of my best friend's house. Later, we tried to repel off the side of the house with a rope that could probably only hold 50 lbs. Glad it rained the night before so the squishy grass only knocked the wind out of me when the rope broke. I think it was the three minutes after 4:30 into the song that made me think I could do anything. That or the vodka.

Dancing in the living room with my older sister, having no idea what she was saying. We loved it! "Sweet Dreams" by the Eurythmics and Peter Schilling's "Major Tom" were also acceptable living room dancing material.

The first song that made me realize that my parent's music was actually good. I promptly rode my bike up to Tower Records and bought the Stand By Me soundtrack on cassette.

ABC Wide World of Sports and Howard Cosell baby! This song still gives me goosebumps. Best reinterpretation of this song ever had to be when I heard Scott Hardkiss drop his white label remix of this for the first time in 1994. ELO later made him take out the samples because he hadn't cleared it with them. Thankfully, some kind soul has uploaded it to YouTube. This white label record used to sell for over $200 at record shops because it was rarer than rockinghorse ****.

Listen to it here:

At the five minute mark of the song, everybody was shouting and jackin' and giving out high fives to complete strangers. Still one of the best tracks I've heard during my early rave days.

Da Luis Vuitton Don

Reaction score
Rick Ross BMF(Blowing money fast)
My Rolls Royce triple black I'm iche hoe, Balling in the club, bottles like I'm miche hoe Ros� that's my nickname
rick-ross-01.-w347-h255-p0-F-S1.jpg

word

Reaction score
Originally Posted by davidmross
Nice selections. Probably the biggest shift in my musical tastes was when I discovered IDM in the early 90s at the same time that the internet was starting to make an appearance on my university campus. Hearing anything off the Warp label, Rephlex, Fax, and so on blew me away. I always thought to myself,"Wow. These guys hear what's in my head."

Yep. Scary on a number of levels.

The last video that you quoted, Eutow, blew me away when I picked up the Tri Repetae CD and I'm sure pissed off my neighbours a number of times. My best Authechre experience was seeing them perform "live" in a small club in 1995 (or 96). They played all their great crunchy tunes and then Eutow. Wow.

Here's something a little less accessible that grabbed me and pulled me through some stressful periods:

Aphex Twin - Icct Hedral

I saw their quaristice tour but I've been a fan since I got introduced to them at college in 2002. Despite all of the quaristice remixes and stuff to me it's one of the more enjoyable albums. But the show was kinda, eh. Tons of bass I mean holy ****...but the room was barely even lit so it kinda got boring in the dark with their tracks pounding away.

I really like how you can throw in lp5 or ep7, heck even chiastic slide and it still sounds ahead of the game today.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
damn, shoegazer central in here.

That's Entertainment - The Jam
Sea of Heartbreak - Johnny Cash
Suedehead - Morrissey
Don't You Ever Get Tired - Bettye Swann
Hot Pants in the Summertime - the Dramatics
Leafhouse - Animal Collective
Cowboy Dan - Modest Mouse
Tried by Twelve - East Flatbush Project
Famous Blue Raincoat - Leonard Cohen

Sartorial1

Reaction score
It didn't blow me away,
but it sure got me laughing.

Konie's song My Life is ****, but I Am Funky.

Lyrics +/- >>>

I'm just a sorry
punk-ass *****.
My life is ****
but I am funky.

My life is ****,
no doubt about it,
but I can rock it,
and I can shout it.
I got no money.
I got no class,
but I can make you
shake your ass.
It's in my blood,
just like a junky.
My life is ****,
but I am funky.

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dashboard modest mouse

limester816

Reaction score
All These Things That I've Done -- The Killers

Heard it in the skate video Almost Round 3 to Daewon Song's part, and I instantly knew they were my favorite band.

howlingwolfpress

Reaction score
Hopesfall - Dana Walker

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Porcupine Tree - Trains

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still remember the first time I heard this, and thinking how awesome it was.

Cake - Going the Distance.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StylishGentleman