• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Songs that blew you away the first time you heard them

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dylan: Positively 4th St. Like a Rolling Stone Baez: Diamonds and Rust. Forever Young. Allman Brothers: Sweet Melissa Jimi Hendrix: All along the watchtower. One of my all time favorites. Janis J. Me and Bobby McGee. And finally: Like a rolling stone, And then there were the Doors, Joe Cocker, Traffic, Country Joe, Otis Redding, Credence Clreawater, The Grateful Dead, The Who, Led Zepplin, Santana, Eric Burden, Steve Miller Band, Miles David, Jefferson Airplane, and finally Alice Cooper among others! I saw every one of these bands at the Fillmore East. If I get some pictures from Mike Klenfner's daughters, I will post them. He and the era were iconic events in the era's music. And the songs in my sig too, of course!

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
There are many songs that would have blown me away if I hadn't already heard them at seven when I knew nothing about music. Basically every hit by the Beatles, Stones, Beach Boys, The Who, etc. Hearing a great song for the first time now is much more exciting than it was then.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spudnik99
The Revolution Will Not Be Televised

I remember hearing it on the radio, really late one night when i was driving home from work. i got chills, and had to pull over so i could actually pay attention to the lyrics.

'eve of destruction' -- barry mcquire

sister ray/the gift- the velvet underground

transmission-joy division , the bass line had me hooked, and i don't 'dance' but i did some weird carlton/white boy dance the first time it was both lame and epic simultaneously.

good vibrations- the beach boys

i don't remember which song, but the first time i heard the stooges my mind was kind of blown.

the second half of abbey road

ina gada da vida [in the garden of eden]- iron butterfly

white rabbit - jefferson airplane

crazy-gnarles barkley... it was catchy as hell, i couldn't believe there was something on the radio i liked that much.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
Though there are many for me, here's an entry for me:

Smashing Pumpkins 1979

Originally Posted by Big Punisher
Don't feel like youtubing but:

smashing Pumpkins - 1979

Got you both covered on the first page
bigstar[1].gif
. For us disaffected kids it is what Catcher in the Rye was to books.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jake Holmes, Dazed and Confused

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Talking Heads, Psycho Killer

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Killing Joke, Change

Talk Talk, Life's What You Make It

lefty

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sjg22
- Pretty much every song on "To Record Only Water for 10 Days" by John Frusciante (the lead guitarist for the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Very cool album, a bit hard to find, and not exactly what you'd expect;
Yes. Definitely his best solo work -- most likely because it's the most edited. Frusciante often gets ahead of himself and starts trying too hard, creating some pretentious avant-garde music that ceases to be interesting just as soon as it stops being entertaining. This album, though, distills the maestro from his masquerade and blows the speakers and listeners away with its first sonorous chant.

racetrack

Reaction score
Had the new Muse album on random and this one just stood out for me. Some Queen and Lawrence of Arabira influences in there:

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
She Sells Sanctuary- the CULT

Debaser- PIXIES

Losing my Religion- REM

Under the Milky Way- The Church

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cudnt get a clip on "Grace" or "Forget Her", but this would do just fine.
Last Goodbye- Jeff Buckley

Kissing Lipless- the Shins

Cause=Time- Broken Social Scene

Your Ex-Lover is Dead- Stars

Stars- Simply Red

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
killing joke-love like blood

death in june-death of a man

vnv nation-epicentre

trashcan sinatras-obscurity knocks

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them