• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sneakers

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
those are cool. Any one know anything about the brand "gola"
confused.gif
shoe2.jpg
There is a certain something...I am not sure what, that I don't like about those shoes. Jon.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yoox prices are really good for some things, and really bad for others. Some of their Adidas are higher than US retail, for example. And their Helmut Lang stuff used to be really well priced (because HL is much, much cheaper in Europe than here.) Now, the you can typically find better prices down at Barneys (and that's not saying much.) I'm afraid to mention where the bargains actually are, just in case they decide to jack up those prices too. Of course, they are trying the maximize profits, so I suspect that prices are sometimes raised if the American retail is higher, but not lowered if the Italian prices are lower. I mean, Paper Denims retail for half the price in the US as they do in Italy, which means that Yoox would take a loss if they actually adjusted those prices to a US sales price.

Joe G

Reaction score
Has anyone else tried the John Varvatos Converse trainers?
1K114_400.jpg
In real life the burgundy is a good 30% darker than in this picture, and of course with moisture they darken further. My wife bought me a pair of these, and I've worn them more than I thought I would. Admittedly, much of that use comes from the fact that I've never seen them on anyone else's feet. They're not as comfortable as Tod's peerless bowling shoes or my Reiter Sport trainers, but they also cost a good bit less. For "designer" trainers, they're quite the bargain. They go with a wider variety of things than one would think, too. Peace, JG

naturlaut

Reaction score
They're not as comfortable as Tod's peerless bowling shoes or my Reiter Sport trainers, but they also cost a good bit less. For "designer" trainers, they're quite the bargain. They go with a wider variety of things than one would think, too.
I, too, am a great fan of Reiter's trainers. Since they are not a 'famous' 'brand', they are quite inexpensive too.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wear my John Varvatos Converse sometimes - a summer pair in khaki twill, and a winter pair in beige corduroy suede with dark brown highlights. Pretty nice with jeans and a tee, but still, designer sneakers = poser, which I am. Sue me.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Joe G @ 17 July 2004, 02:48) They're not as comfortable as Tod's peerless bowling shoes or my Reiter Sport trainers, but they also cost a good bit less. For "designer" trainers, they're quite the bargain. They go with a wider variety of things than one would think, too.
I, too, am a great fan of Reiter's trainers. Â Since they are not a 'famous' 'brand', they are quite inexpensive too.
I bought a pair of Reiter "Jogger" after a recommendation by Joe G. However, they are anything but inexpensive. Where did you buy then for this inexpensive price. I would love to pick up a second pair.

gqelements

Reaction score
Since I only wear mine when I play soccer or train in the gym I have these ones:
nike-s-ho03-sportschuhe-306389-041-air-zoom-noventa-my-football-indoor-sala.jpg
They are the Beckam model, and let me tell you do the ever hit hard....

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joe G,17 July 2004, 02:48
They're not as comfortable as Tod's peerless bowling shoes or my Reiter Sport trainers, but they also cost a good bit less. For "designer" trainers, they're quite the bargain. They go with a wider variety of things than one would think, too.
I, too, am a great fan of Reiter's trainers. Â Since they are not a 'famous' 'brand', they are quite inexpensive too.
I would love to be able to locate a pair of these: http://www.10001designerclothing.com/acatalo....oes.jpg Any ideas?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Used to wear them as a kid, while the cool kids wore Adidas. Seems as though the situation has reversed and now Puma is cool again, at least for 15 minutes or so.

BTW, did you know Puma was started by the brother of Adi Dasler, the owner of Adidas?

You can get these in NYC for $39.99 in quite a few places.
Which places? Do they have websites?

Jon.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just purchased my first pair of Pumas in a long time. I looked at the speedcats and some of the other models, but finally settled on a rather unique pair of driving shoes designed by some Japanese guy whose name I have never heard of and can't pronounce. Â They are quite strange looking, but I just couldn't help myself. Â
puma.jpg
My wife hates them, and I admit that they do look odd, but I rather like them anyway.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(naturlaut @ 17 July 2004, 04:46)
Originally Posted by Joe G,17 July 2004, 02:48
I would love to be able to locate a pair of these: http://www.10001designerclothing.com/acatalo....oes.jpg Any ideas?
Those are the ones I have, except they are tan suede with a orange stripe. I had to call the Reiter store in Vienna directly and order them. I paid USD230 with shipping. It will be a bit more now due to the exchange rate. They are GREAT shoes though. If anyone else knows where to get them, I'd pick up a second pair.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"P.S. I know this is not the same color but it is the last fashion in Paris to wear different one on each foot."

Quoi?

I'm trying to picture this and...LOL. HAHAHAHA.

I'm sorry, but that's just silly. Why would you think anyone looks good with two different colored shoes on? Might as well have two different pair of socks on.

While I like the Pumas (a lot), I think French fashion just took a turn for the worse if this is what people are wearing.

Jon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads