• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reaction score
Hey guys, stumbled upon styleforum yesterday when trying to solve an issue I have been having.

I live in Australia and as such its quite hot a lot of the time so I end up wearing shorts. If I want to go out for dinner I have to go for the casual look with shorts or go for jeans and be too hot.

I am looking to buy some shoes to wear with shorts that look a bit more dressy, I was looking at the following shoes but had issues with getting them shipped to Australia or just uncertain in general.

The Royale x C.F. Stead - Caramel by Greats
The Royale x C.F. Stead - Storm by Greats
Men’s Capri in Mocha by KOIO

I really like the greats shoes above but they do not ship to Australia, I have been looking at freight forwarding services but have seen very mixed reviews.

Anyways, first of all I am asking if anyone knows of any easily accessible similar shoes in Australia of similar quality?
If not, does anyone have any experience using freight forwarding and would recommend a company to use to have them shipped over?

Thanks a lot in advance for any help.

msimon

Reaction score
Don't know what your maximum budget is but I have said it before and I will say it again. Crown Northampton sneakers, free world wide shipping.

Reaction score
Don't know what your maximum budget is but I have said it before and I will say it again. Crown Northampton sneakers, free world wide shipping.

I was kind of looking at max budget of around $400.Your suggestion seems to be very fitting though so may have to stretch to the $500 range.

msimon

Reaction score
I was kind of looking at max budget of around $400.Your suggestion seems to be very fitting though so may have to stretch to the $500 range.
The fit and finish would be a step up from what you have linked. The leather they use is way above what others use, and with loads of choices you'd be stuck at the checkout.

I have noticed the soles wear very slowly, one pair I've had for two summers now and not even made any significant wear.

rjc149

Reaction score
You also have the option of chinos, and lightweight wool or linen trousers. You’re not limited to either shorts or jeans.

I don’t believe shorts need to be (or should be) “dressed up” as they are ultra-casual — if you’re wearing shorts, wearing New Balance sneakers isn’t somehow a drop in formality. And if you’re going to wear sneakers, just wear sneakers. No need to drop $400 on disposable footwear.

That being said, I think loafers, boat shoes or driving mocs are a better look for a “dressy” shorts outfit.

KOz

Reaction score
You also have the option of chinos, and lightweight wool or linen trousers. You’re not limited to either shorts or jeans.

I don’t believe shorts need to be (or should be) “dressed up” as they are ultra-casual — if you’re wearing shorts, wearing New Balance sneakers isn’t somehow a drop in formality. And if you’re going to wear sneakers, just wear sneakers. No need to drop $400 on disposable footwear.

That being said, I think loafers, boat shoes or driving mocs are a better look for a “dressy” shorts outfit.

Agreed. Even more formal shorts can feel like a step down from casual trousers and no shoes are going to help with that (can't make a swimsuit more formal by putting on oxfords etc.).

Consider Loake Sprint - nothing fancy but I've had mine for 3 years and they're still doing fine. R.M. Williams also has nice sneakers.

Last edited:
Reaction score

I find myself being to hot in chinos also, I am from England originally so most of the year in Brisbane I get quite hot in long pants.

msimon

Reaction score
Agree to disagree regarding leather sneakers.

I agree, us sneaker people are not using them to go more formal, that's stupid, but we do recognise higher quality sneakers elevate a casual outfit.

As much as I like boat shoes and loafers one cannot compete with the comfort of a well fitted sneaker.

Reaction score
I agree, us sneaker poeple are not using them to go more formal, that's stupid, but we do recognise higher quality sneakers elevate a casual outfit.

As much as I like boat shoes and loafers one cannot compete with the comfort of a well fitted sneaker.

I don't like loafers or boat shoes personally.

But as you have said I find there is a vast difference between cheap sneakers or brash sneakers and smart stylish sneaker.

Reaction score
I agree, us sneaker people are not using them to go more formal, that's stupid, but we do recognise higher quality sneakers elevate a casual outfit.

I am however struggling with the cost of the crown Northampton's and maybe need some reassurance of the quality and reasoning why not to buy two pairs of say Fred Perry/Ralph Lauren shoes?

KOz

Reaction score

Crockett & Jones Superflex sole loafers are definitely up there with sneakers in terms of comfort.

KOz

Reaction score
I am however struggling with the cost of the crown Northampton's and maybe need some reassurance of the quality and reasoning why not to buy two pairs of say Fred Perry/Ralph Lauren shoes?

Crown Northampton's are really nice, but it's diminishing returns on investment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads