• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slim fit suit in SF

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by egyu
SF is really that bad for finding a good suit! Man, that's a bit depressing.

There are lots of good suits here, just depends what you're looking for (besides just "slim"). Brooks, Barneys, Neimans, Ralph Lauren, Wilkes, even Nordstrom, Bloomies and Saks all carry good suits. Some are slim. Styling will be different with different brands and models. Look, try, buy.

sfnapolifan

Reaction score
SF is really that bad for finding a good suit! Man, that's a bit depressing.

Is there a good tailor in the city that can take a meh RTW to a properly fitted suit (meh within reason of course).

I've also had no luck in finding dress shirts that do not look like capes. Any good MTM shirt makers in the city? And yes, The Hound does look a bit too trad for my tastes.

as to tailors, the answer is franz--best in the city.

as for shirtmakers in the city, you are best off either using a traveling tailor, going with hamilton (via wilkes or barneys), finamore (or soon attolini) at the de corato store, or driving/flying to la for the day to see freddy vandecasteele or anto.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sfnapolifan
as to tailors, the answer is franz--best in the city.

as for shirtmakers in the city, you are best off either using a traveling tailor, going with hamilton (via wilkes or barneys), finamore (or soon attolini) at the de corato store, or driving/flying to la for the day to see freddy vandecasteele or anto.

Who is this "franz" of whom you speak?

GQhustler

Reaction score
Hi,

Just discovered this site and though I'd ask.

Where is a good place to get a slim fiitted suit in SF?
I'm about 5'8" and around 148 pounds. I'm in between 36-38 depending on the cut, but nothing I've tried on seems to fit right.
I still have yet to find a suit that fits and if I'm going to spend 2k+, I figure I'd get a bespoke suit (though I don't know how much those go for in the SF area or if I'm better off doing it in NY while on work).
I'm also having a really hard time finding shirts as well - any suggestions?

Has anyone found such a place yet?

Thanks,
Dave

I am pretty much exactly the same size as you and absolutely nothing compares to Tom Ford in terms of fit. A couple of very minor alterations and the fit is beyond spectacular. I can post some fit pics over the weekend.

malat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by comrade
I have a great alterations tailor in Menlo Park. He does "special jobs" for the Palo Alto
Wilkes. He's done some very challenging work for me, as in shoulder re-doing, with
success.

Bob Stankovic? Yes! He performed wizardry while tailoring a suit I bought and originally had tailored at bloomingdales. Thing was butchered and he disassembled the suit and re-did the job. It is now my favorite suit.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by malat
Bob Stankovic? Yes! He performed wizardry while tailoring a suit I bought and originally had tailored at bloomingdales. Thing was butchered and he disassembled the suit and re-did the job. It is now my favorite suit.

The man. The one and only. Nice guy too.

sw20

Reaction score
Agree, SF region has no competent clothes (or shoe) shops

Would get MTM suits/shirts at Ascot Chang in Beverly Hills or Manhattan; arguably far better value than any OTR branded stuff

Style009

Reaction score
I personally get all my slim fitted suits from Zara on Post St right in Union Square, i'd check them out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads