• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sleeve Length Question

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I always love reading this piece as Mr. Harvey (I really NEVER called him Colin) was indeed the most elegant man I've ever known.

Last edited:

lexxdeleon

Reaction score
I was taught and always believed that showing a little shirt cuff (in my case 1cm preference) was born out of function a long time ago.

Back in the 1800's? - shirts were simply viewed as underwear, things that got dirty and helped protect the jacket from becoming soiled too quickly from our own bodies. This applied even more so the collars and cuffs which tend to get dirty more quickly than other parts of the shirt. To the point wear collars and cuffs were made detachable so they were easier to clean separately.

While dress shirts are no longer viewed as just undergarments today, the same principles can apply today. You want to dry clean you jacket as infrequently as possible and dress shirts are now easily machined wash.

So by having a little shirt cuff show, you can ensure that your jacket sleeve fabric won't touch the skin of your wrist/palm/hand and picking up oil, dirt and dead or dry skin through the day.

This seems to have been confirmed for me personally when I was helping an older gentleman select a suit and have it tailored. He asked me about sleeve length and told him showing a little shirt cuff it would help protect the fabric at the jacket sleeve. He had somewhat of a eureka moment when he recalled dirty spots showing up on the sleeves of his jackets back in the day when he was wearing suits daily and didn't know where they came from - it likely came from making contact with his skin then picking up oils and dirt.

Mirage-

Reaction score
i have mostly heard the argument that it is visually pleasing because it harmonizes with the fact that your shirt collar protrudes from the jacket too, but that also makes perfect sense.

I was taught and always believed that showing a little shirt cuff (in my case 1cm preference) was born out of function a long time ago.

Lev Vyacheslavovich

Reaction score
I just want to add that I realized and Gianni Agnelli's tailored suits all have longer sleeves. So basically to conclude, unless if the length of the sleeves is in the extremes, the length is mainly based on preference. Some people like having the sleeves end around the wrist bone, or where the arm ends and the palm begins. Despite this, I also see many stylish figures having even longer sleeves ( sleeves ending slightly resting on the palm ). It seems that the only time when the sleeves are too long is when they actually end in the middle of the palm or close to it, which makes everything awkward. I originally made this thread, for beginners like me, who may be confused about this topic, due to the lack of threads like this! Hope all this information helps and thank you for those who replied on this thread! It was ver informative!

1634787290623.png

1634787181911.png

1634787063023.png

1634786979231.png

1634786952284.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads