• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just received both Enzo Bonafe 946 last and Carmina rain last whole cuts size uk8. First time buying both Enzo Bonafe and Carmina 's rain last.

The Enzo Bonafe fits me perfectly, however I find that the rain last in same size fits roomier, wider heel and are longer compared to the EB 946 last. I can already close the eyelets fully on the rain last. This means that they are too roomy for me have to return or sell them. Seems to me also that the rain last has a higher instep than the 946.

Those that have both did you experience that the rain last is slightly roomier than EB 946 last?
In my case, there's a slightly wider "V" gap on the Rain than the 946. But everyone's feet is different so YMMV.

Last edited:

urban

Reaction score
I cannot really comment on the instep as my Rain lasted shoes are derbies.
However, I share the same view that the 946 is 'shorter' than the Rain. And seems like everyone feels that the heel is wide on the Rain as well.

armsignet

Reaction score

I just received both Enzo Bonafe 946 last and Carmina rain last whole cuts size uk8. First time buying both Enzo Bonafe and Carmina 's rain last.

The Enzo Bonafe fits me perfectly, however I find that the rain last in same size fits roomier, wider heel and are longer compared to the EB 946 last. I can already close the eyelets fully on the rain last. This means that they are too roomy for me have to return or sell them. Seems to me also that the rain last has a higher instep than the 946.

Those that have both did you experience that the rain last is slightly roomier than EB 946 last?
The above is my experience too. I take the 946 and Rain in the same size. but the Rain is not a great fit for me because the high instep causes me to size down when I wouldn't otherwise. Rain is a great looking last for plain toed wholecuts though.

ecwy

Reaction score
I think those boots look great and I'm not trying to be difficult but I really don't see much, if any, real problem. If they aren't as ordered, that's another issue of course.

You can click on the pic to enlarge the size even further till 2048 pixels wide. It is most likely a machine or user issue as the machine stitches at an even spacing which is harder to control at the toe due to the curvature. I suspect the machine cannot "go around" the toe in a suitable steep enough turn.

I didn't post about it here, mostly because it doesn't bother me at all and I still love both pairs, but both my Bonafe MTOs (plum museum chukka and black stitch cap) have very sloppy welt stitching. I think the fact that the thread is black against a black welt makes it hard to notice unless you are specifically looking, so that's why I don't really care. But this case seems pretty noticeable to me.

I think it's one of the trade-offs you can expect for getting a hand welted shoe, hand made single run shoe at such an affordable price. It ain't gonna be perfect like Meccariello or Templeman. Vass also have their inconsistencies. Something's gotta give to get a truly handmade product with quality components at this price.

Having said all this, I would completely understand being irked at this welt stitch on this pair, considering the contrast thread and the fact that it's right up on the toe.

I don't think it is correct to say there has to be a trade off for hand welt at this price with sloppy work. There is a trade off to achieve this price and I am willing to bet it is in the materials and/or labour costs involved. However, how does sloppy stitching give any cost savings?

As a matter of fact, I hate people accepting the "Vass charm". If it is wrong specs, it is wrong. You can either accept it, return it or ask for a discount. But to brush it off as part of what you get due to the "hand-made" nature is imo not an acceptable reason.

For this case, a slightly messy stitching is probably ok for me. But this stitching is quite literally on the edge itself and who knows whether it will have any issues after a while? I think the glue would probably be sufficient to hold the outsole but if the thread starts fraying, it is going to look horrible as well.

Anyway, I will take this up via email rather than clog up this thread...

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'm trying to gauge interest in this style for a GMTO - I think it's a superb style! The only thing I want to change is to replace the top part and make it up in black suede instead. Any takers?

Price including VAT : 9000 SEK
Price ex VAT: 7200 SEK ($865)
Delivery time: 4-6 months
Materials: Black Ostrich with Black Suede shaft - all details exactly as pictured but with Black Suede shaft.

Last edited:

bloodyj13

Reaction score
I'm trying to gauge interest in this style for a GMTO - I think it's a superb style! The only thing I want to change is to replace the top part and make it up in black suede instead. Any takers?

Price including VAT : 9000 SEK
Price ex VAT: 7200 SEK ($865)
Delivery time: 4-6 months
Materials: Black Ostrich with Black Suede shaft - all details exactly as pictured but with Black Suede shaft.

I'm in! both plain toe or cap toe are fine with me, for leather of top part, either suede or calf is ok!

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

+1 on this.

What sole is it going to be?

I'm open to just about any sole, as long as it's not too clunky.

As for last I was thinking 74945.

I'm not sure I would want it as a plain toe though. Is this a deal breaker for anyone?

Last edited:

someoldlady91

Reaction score
I'm probably down for it. I prefer to not have a leather sole.

Could you also list what was agreed upon for the final makeup? Thanks!

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never thought I would say it, but I am starting to want a pair of button boots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics