• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice points.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I would imagine @Leaves would be able to give you some good advice here.

i'm just not sure because my Alderley are a bit long and still wide so i was going to go down 1/2 size from now on anyway, but I'm not sure if it would be better to go down a full size since they might stretch without the lining. And if they are a bit small then they still should work. it is a tough decision.

I'll be AFK a bit during this week, I'm moving to a new apartment, but please email [email protected] for any fitting advice, as always. Because this email address is monitored by all of us, response times will be quicker.

In regards of the price points discussed, I will comment on this later. It's a complex situation.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How much time do I have before sending in the order? I may have wait for my friends

Well, we have 2 confirmed normal widths, one wife width, as soon as we get one more normal width confirmed (out of the 5 'maybes'), it should start, and then it all depends on how long Leaves wants to leave the pre-order window open for.

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, we have 2 confirmed normal widths, one narrow width, as soon as we get one more normal width confirmed (out of the 5 'maybes'), it should start, and then it all depends on how long Leaves wants to leave the pre-order window open for.

I'm confirmed wide width.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'll be AFK a bit during this week, I'm moving to a new apartment, but please email [email protected] for any fitting advice, as always. Because this email address is monitored by all of us, response times will be quicker.

In regards of the price points discussed, I will comment on this later. It's a complex situation.

Best of luck with the move, always a stressful thing. Adding additional shoe storage with the new place??

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tend to rotate my purchases while taking advantage of skoaks prices and service, I also purchase from a local B&M who also has assited me for quite a while. Then again my local B&M also provides fringe benefits.

I also like skaoka inventivenss and willingness to try to new make ups.

At the rate I ourchase shoes now a days there us enough to go around. :)

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I tend to rotate my purchases while taking advantage of skoaks prices and service, I also purchase from a local B&M who also has assited me for quite a while. Then again my local B&M also provides fringe benefits.

I also like skaoka inventiveness and willingness to try to new make ups.

At the rate I ourchase shoes now a days there us enough to go around. :)

that's it, same here. I purchased my first G&G MTO through Leffot. It was nice to meet Dean there too. EG through BB. However Skoaktiebolaget really goes an extra mile. Heather Gorse anyone???

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a particular retailer where I have purchased several pairs from different makers in the past and other products Won't mind letting me try on one or two pairs, especially considering they don't stock the particular model I wish to purchase.

I don't plan on being dishonest with my intentions.

Currency exchange rates won't be this lopsided forever, and if retailers want to retain regular customers who have started to eye overseas businesses, maybe it's in their best interest to adjust their pricing temporarily, as several SF affiliate vendors have done. Trust me, it would definitely be easier and preferable to buy locally.
This practice is known as "Showrooming" in the retail industry. I dont want to get on my soapbox about all the reasons it isnt cool, but to think that things are just as easy as adjusting pricing is a bit naive. Also, though they may not stock the item in question, they can certainly order it unless.

Actually, after thinking about it, I should probably just email Gabriel for advice anyway. I've bought shoes from them before, after all, and I actually doubt that this other retailer will even have anything wide enough for me to try on in this brand.

Guess I got carried away in my enthusiasm.
Good for you. I have always enjoyed your posts and I am glad you've come to this decision
cheers.gif

I'll try to put this as delicately as I can, but I'm not going to feel too bad for retailers charging $550 for Carminas when they can be had online through other retailers here for $100-$200 less. The exchange rate only goes so far to explain that huge gap. What's troubling to me is not that the retailers here charging $550 haven't met Skoak's prices but that they haven't even lowered them at all in the face of market forces. If they are going to stick to that price, then sorry I might use them from time to time to get my sizing right. We're not talking about charitable organizations here. It's high end luxury goods - there's no room for hurt feelings. Lower your prices or be change your expectations. Or do like Mike at Epaulet and stop carrying the brand if it's not worth it. Jeez.
Has it crossed your mind that there might be reasons they havent lowered their prices? Maybe they have a MAP agreement. Maybe they dont enjoy the margin that Skoak receives. Maybe Carmina has a pricing strategy for the US different from the EU. Regardless, I have great news: You dont have to buy from another retailer. If you do choose to go to a brick and mortar store for the express reason to use their services in order to buy from another vendor however, I think thats a pretty douchey move. Did you ask them to price match? Did you give them the opportunity to make the sale?

Its no different than going to a lawyer, having them prepare documents and do research for you and then paying another attorney for the work. You can try and justify this to yourself however you want, but the bottom line is you are hurting someone's business. I'm sure the guys at Skoak would feel the same way about people doing it to them.

It isnt illegal and no one can stop you from doing it, but I think it says a lot about people who do this kind of thing. Happy shopping

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads