• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ironically the pair of shoes in my collection that has the least amount of creases, are also the shoes which I've owned/worn the longest...a pair of AE Strands in Walnut. They are the only pair of AEs I've ever purchased, which was over 3 years ago. Yes leather quality is subjective and there several variables to how/why leather creases, but I can't say that my specific pair of AE are inferior in leather quality to any shoe brand in the $600-$800 range or lower. Same goes for Carmina.

What I can say is the leather GG uses IMO is clearly better than any of the aforementioned brands. Vass and EB included.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ironically the pair of shoes in my collection that has the least amount of creases, are also the shoes which I've owned/worn the longest...a pair of AE Strands in Walnut. They are the only pair of AEs I've ever purchased, which was over 3 years ago. Yes leather quality is subjective and there several variables to how/why leather creases, but I can't say that my specific pair of AE are inferior in leather quality to any shoe brand in the $600-$800 range or lower. Same goes for Carmina.

What I can say is the leather GG uses IMO is clearly better than any of the aforementioned brands. Vass and EB included.
The least amount of creases with extensive wear?. My book binder (patent leather) churchs; they are as hard as a rock.

Last edited:

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

@Leaves : do you plan to make again a new Carmina longwing like the Horween football print one ?

Sorry, no, that was a very limited material.

But can you really make comparisons between carmina and eb calf leathers? EB does not use vegano calf leather. Maybe the right comparison would
But can you really compare their calf leather to each other? EB doesn't use vegano calf leather. Maybe the right comparison would be Carminas natur calf vs EB vitello? vegano is different from vitello. I don't think you can compare them as both are different types of calf leathers,maybe natur calf vs EB vitello? vegano is different from vitello. I don't think you can compare them as both are different types of calf leathers.

Please note that "vegano marron" is NOT vegetable tanned, it is chrome tanned like most leathers used in the footwear industry. The name is very misleading and I wish Carmina would use another name for it. The only leather we use that I know is 100% vegetable tanned is the Tärnsjö grain.

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Please note that "vegano marron" is NOT vegetable tanned, it is chrome tanned like most leathers used in the footwear industry. The name is very misleading and I wish Carmina would use another name for it. The only leather we use that I know is 100% vegetable tanned is the Tärnsjö grain.

Speaking of which how are plans for Tärnsjö + Enzo Bonafe coloboration going?

europrep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The only leather we use that I know is 100% vegetable tanned is the Tärnsjö grain.

And it is lovely! Can't wait for it to get a bit cooler so I can start wearing my fur lined Carminas.

ThunderMarch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Actually, I will be soon be proposing a GMTO (or else a fellow forum member will) for a Vitello Etrusco chukka on the 74945 last based on this model.  We have most of the deets worked out and will canvas for a third (or more, of course) participant shortly.

I'd be very interested. Are you guys very firm on the last?
I think vitello etrusco is the perfect shade of brown for almost anything except a pair of black captoes.

Last edited:

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd be very interested. Are you guys very firm on the last?
I think vitello etrusco is the perfect shade of brown for almost anything except a pair of black captoes.

74945 last. Will post up tomorrow. And I agree with you on the Vitello Etrusco - the idea here is a for a sleek, classic and very versatile Chukka - and this one should go with just about anything.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The least amount of creases with extensive wear?. My book binder (patent leather) churchs; they are as hard as a rock.

Creasing is consequence of far too many variables to be a reliable indicator of quality, IMO. There are a couple excellent posts on this subject on the TheShoeSnobBlog.

ThunderMarch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

74945 last.  Will post up tomorrow.  And I agree with you on the Vitello Etrusco - the idea here is a for a sleek, classic and very versatile Chukka - and this one should go with just about anything.

Thank you Roger.
Sigh.
A shoe lover and his money are soon parted. Especially if he is acquainted with Skoaktiebolaget.

vmss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, I am aware that vegano is chrome tanned,however, it is crust leather compared to aniline dyed like natur and vitello. I have vegano, tarnso veg tan, natur aniline calf leathers and all I can say is that all three have different touch and texture when compared. All I can say is that vegano vs my other aniline calf leathers is more dull and softer touch than my carmina natur calf which is shinier/glossier. I will say even though the grain texture of the vegano is much smaller and tighter compared to the tarnsjo leather they have the same dull look and touch to it.Also, vegano and tarnsjo can be burnished to the desired patina.

Last edited:

vmss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

74945 last.  Will post up tomorrow.  And I agree with you on the Vitello Etrusco - the idea here is a for a sleek, classic and very versatile Chukka - and this one should go with just about anything.
Exactly what I am looking for!

I wear UK 8 rain last.What is the recommendable sizing advise for this last.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Prostadineonline