• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I still tip 15%?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
No ****, I don't like it and usually refuse the service as well. I've been at some hotels where you have no choice in the matter, though. The bell ninjas swipe your **** the second you enter the premises. Tipping higher for a high-end hotel usually doesn't get you anything, but it does spare you the indignity of being labeled/gossiped as a cheap-ass amongst the hotel staff. Those folks talk, and if they don't like you, they're going to make your life a living hell through a thousand minor inconveniences.
I usually refuse service, too. When I'm traveling with the family and the dog I accept the service gladly and tip accordingly. I never tip more than $5 for this regardless of the type of hotel.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Exactly. I am usually the last one to say "Americans are so ******* clueless," but when it comes to service in restaurants, Americans are really ******* clueless. It is, at a high level, a very skilled job. They aren't just slapping down your plate.

---

You need to be careful with this, though. If bad service = slow service, it probably has nothing to do with the waiter and everything to do with the kitchen.

Both execellent points. There was a waiter (Pierre) at the original La Belle Vie who was absolutley brilliant. He could take the order for a table of 6, 5 courses, all by memory, then orchestrate making plates disappear and the next course always arriving at just the right time over the course of two hours. It was like appreciating the finest conductor. Brilliant.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
No offense but I think you're mistaken in thinking that $20 is the standard tip. Whoever told you that was yanking your chain. A $20 tip to a bellman is at the very tail of the curve - you're seen as an oil prince when you do that, not a normal customer.

I'm aware it's at the extreme end. I had second thoughts about even including it in my first post, because I knew it would come up. Let's just give me a mulligan on this and pretend I never mentioned it. Really not worth dissecting any further.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What do you guys tip for HJs at massage joints?

Sic Semper

Reaction score
When you're spending more per head there are presumably more people working in the background that the tips are shared with. Polished brass fixtures, always gleaming bathrooms, shined flatware, pressed linens. You're paying for these hands.

In the Marine Corps it is said there are 10 men for everyone carrying a rifle. Extend the analogy to Aziz's Kabobs or Per Se.

Sic Semper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kevinbrownshakedown
It's pretty standard practice to not tip for alcohol at a restaurant. So if your $150 meal was including a $60 bottle of wine, tip for $90.

No it's not standard practice. Do you stiff your bartender when you eat at the bar too? That sounds like weak justification to be cheap.

Tipping is part of the cost of doing business. If you can't do it graciously...

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Three tablespoons on a good day.

God damn you. I was just about to eat breakfast when I read this. =/

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
In SF? That is generally the surcharge for the "Healthy SF" plan currently destroying restaurants around the city.
People in kitchens don't need health insurance. Look at me, I'm a bastion of healthy living!
Originally Posted by gdl203
No offense but I think you're mistaken in thinking that $20 is the standard tip. Whoever told you that was yanking your chain. A $20 tip to a bellman is at the very tail of the curve - you're seen as an oil prince when you do that, not a normal customer.
+1. I though $1-2 per bag was standard
Three tablespoons on a good day.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Some interesting takes on tipping.

Bellman for me = $5 or $1 per piece of luggage if it's over five pieces. Don't know how I came up with that formula.

20%, rounded up for good service on the entire bill. Yeah, the poor kid inside me cringes when that tip goes over the c-note level, but if you want to make return trips to that place and be welcomed as a customer you had better pony up. Also, as has been said above, being a very good wait person in a very good establishment is not a brain dead no skill position. You are expecting a far different experience than the one you'll get at a Waffle House (no h8) and not everyone can deliver on that.

runner-guy

Reaction score
I tip 20% at pretty much any restaurant, including wine. For bellmen, I think $1-2 per bag is fine.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've only had service bad enough to warrant not tipping once. A waitress knew she was serving off-duty waiters (still in our dress shirt unis) and simply did not give a ****, lied to us about what was going wrong, etc.

'Bad' service still gets 20% from me if it's apparent he or she is trying. Screw up my order and own up to it? Okay, **** happens. Triple-sat and in the weeds? I feel you. I'll only tip less if my entire experience is ruined by a rude waiter, and that's rare enough I don't remember the last time it happened.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of you are really cheap. I love the not tipping on alcohol or tax bullshit. Invented by cheap people to justify their cheap ways. Tip is 20% on the bill not 15% or less regardless of quality of service. If service was bad, speak to the manager. If you had a nasty waiter, and you refuse tip or tip less percentage, you're probably punishing several other innocent individuals who are working off the same pot. The way to recognize a rude waiter is to discreetly report his or her behavior so it can be handled by whoever is managing/training the staff. Of thousands of restaurant meals I've had maybe three or four where poor service could actually be attributed to a completely disinterested/pissed off/asshole server. This is on a $20 meal or a $200 meal. If you can't afford $240, you shouldn't have consumed $200 worth of food/alcohol. Like buying a car then complaining that you can't afford gas.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am much more likely to reduce the tip for a rude waiter versus an incompetent one.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AllHustle417