• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shearling is cool

It is however also $$$
confused.gif

Landscape

Reaction score
Y-3 jacket with a defect on the backside:

Or a Wood Wood parka with tags still on?

Both are approximately the same price and while I really like the look of the Y-3 the small tear just bothers me. Any thoughts on this?

AChip

Reaction score
Thorogood Moc Toe or Chippewa Apache? I need some ok quality boot for winter. Which one would be better quality?

Snoopy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Orange painted hood is the thing I don't like about it. But it does look like a very serious jacket that laughs at the winter cold.

Last edited:

Jbravo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is already damaged. A good tailor can hide that damage applying a stitch on top of it.

Last edited:

tahonng

Reaction score

I guess I'm lame because I really like everything on the jacket except that orange hood :/
The orange is actually a nod to the original painted hood on the jacket it draws inspiration from. Originally it's a really bright yellow, so that it'd be easier to spot it when the wearer was lost at sea (or elsewhere). This one's an overpainting, and it's supposed to peel off pretty easily, to give it a distressed look.
Also, here is a picture of the same model wearing what appears to be a size larger than he is in the shot you posted:
That's the fit I'd want on it.
So you think a size up would work for someone with slim jeans and even skinnier legs? That's part of what I'm debating with. Until I see it on, it's such a gamble. I don't wear loose jeans.

Last edited:

Landscape

Reaction score
It is already damaged. A good tailor can hide that damage applying a stitch on top of it.
Ah, yeah. But as long as it's fixable in a way that makes it barely noticeable and it doesn't get worse I think I might jump on it. Can't afford a new one right now.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That orange hood is dope, and keep in mind it'll be worn down most of the time and not as noticeable. Plus if you get lost in a snowstorm, Synth with his Cloak shearling and Shiba rescue dogs will be able to locate you ASAP. I think the Tres Bien model dude has ridiculously long arms as well (I wish more clothing stores would use models under six feet but that's another story..), so it's probably throwing off proportions as well. I'd like a shearling long enough to cover a bit of my butt, keep me warm, yeah? That said, if you're rocking nothing but skinny jeans I'd veer away from that jacket as it'll look a bit ridiculous with chicken legs poking out from beneath a behemoth of pure sheep-based warmth.

Snoopy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That said, if you're rocking nothing but skinny jeans I'd veer away from that jacket as it'll look a bit ridiculous with chicken legs poking out from beneath a behemoth of pure sheep-based warmth.

If he's out in the streets wearing it during Thanksgiving he might get shot mistakenly for a turkey. :rotflmao:

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This:

OR

This:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads