1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by kronik, Jun 25, 2008.

Tags:
  1. noob in 89

noob in 89 Well-Known Member

PC dad jeans, Ervell dad jeans, or Levi's Made and Crafted Dad jeans? Or $30 dad jeans from h&m? Can't decide...

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  2. hoodog

hoodog Well-Known Member

Yay or nay? Private White VC.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. MaiLam

MaiLam Well-Known Member

Anything that sets it apart from other peacoats for you? As an aside, their jeep coat this season has looked great in every photo I've seen

4. hoodog

hoodog Well-Known Member

Horn buttons? [​IMG] No, not really. But that's not a selling point for me either - if it ain't broke don't fix it and so on...

5. dotcomzzz

dotcomzzz Well-Known Member

Horn buttons are nice touch. Would prefer two pockets instead of the four.

6. MickeyPunch

MickeyPunch Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest the SEH Kelly peacoat but I think it's sold out. It also has horn buttons and I like the length better than that PV, which seems a bit short. Also the wool in the SK seems to have more texture. It's also cheaper, unless you can get a good discount on the PV.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. baltimoron

baltimoron Well-Known Member

Large swooping lapels are nice, but I agree with @MickeyPunch in that I wish it was longer. It looks oddly balanced on that model photo.

2 people like this.
  8. hoodog

hoodog Well-Known Member

Yeah, looks sold out on the SEH Kelly website anyways. Amy other retailers that carries it? I might be able to get the PVC for about £470 which is a pretty good deal.

The SEH Kelly jacket is very long, almost overcoat long though. Its 35.5 inches in length (90 cm). Seems a bit long for a peacoat... Also not a big fan of the patch pockets.

9. Kevin24

Kevin24 Well-Known Member

I was wondering what the opinions here are of the jeans made by Bill's Khaki's?

They are made in North Carolina according to Bill's.

Worth it or not?

10. Kevin24

Kevin24 Well-Known Member

I was wondering what the opinions here are of the jeans made by Bill's Khaki's?

They are made in North Carolina according to Bill's.

Worth it or not?

11. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

@hoodog, if you're just after a standard peacoat, I think you'd be fine with a vintage one. Those things are built like tanks, cost a fraction of designer versions, and I don't think are any worse. If you get something particularly old, it'd also come with some cool provenance.

If you want a longer peacoat, search around for a bridge coat. They were a more "formal" version of the naval officers coat worn on decks. Drake's has a designer version this year (maybe helpful since vintage bridge coats can be harder to come by).

Only thing I don't like about peacoats: the collar looks to aggressive when popped in real life. Worn down/ normal, however, and the coat feels boring. Could be good if you need something super warm and low-key though.

One nice thing about that Private White version, it looks like it's made from a lighter weight Melton wool, which could help with the collar once it's popped (heavier 36oz Melton makes the collar look like a satellite dish when worn up). It looks like you even get a bit of a lapel roll if you wear it with the top button unfastened, although I don't know if they had to press the coat to get that.

@Kevin24, no experience with those, but I'd worry about them being too much like dad jeans. And not in the cool way.

12. bry2000

bry2000 Well-Known Member

That pea coat looks pretty average. Pea coats are kind of a dime a dozen, but if you want one and the PV fits well, go for it.

13. hoodog

hoodog Well-Known Member

Thanks DWW. You're very helpful as always. That Drake's version look very nice. However, it seems to be sold out in my size (40) and it is almost double the price of what I would pay for the PV version. It's a shame that Drake's has so big markups on their products - I bet the exact same coat would cost 30-40 % less at any other retailer.

Edit: Oh, and you're right about the fabric weight - the PV coat is made out of 800 gms Melton wool. I think the lapel roll is authentic, I've seen several pics where it shows:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. hoodog

hoodog Well-Known Member

I agree, peacoats are one of those designs that don't differ that much over time, just like other classic outerwear designs (chesterfields, M65s, polo coats, loden coats etc). Fit is key, as always.

15. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

Could be a lot nicer than the originals then. I like how lighter weight fabrics allow the collar to roll a little in the back. When it's a heavier 36oz Melton wool, which was kind of the standard on a lot of those old pea coats, the collar shoots straight up, which ... looks cool in photos, but is a little much IRL. In that PWVC model, the back of the collar rolls down a bit, like you'd get with a topcoat. Could be easier to wear in that sense.

1 person likes this.
  16. nicelynice

nicelynice Well-Known Member

A coat that short with such large lapels always looks bad to me

I also imagine the collar would be quite fussy trying to stay in the right place other than fully up or down

1 person likes this.
  17. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

If it was a maxi or kaftan I wouldn't even ask. I just don't like wooden toggles.
    Could you remove the loop and toggles and add regular buttons and holes without fucking it up?

[​IMG]

"HE WAS WEARING A BEAR THOUGH!"

1 person likes this.
  18. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Well-Known Member

Hmmm...

50% off at Older Brother...

One color or the other (dark indigo or washed, both are enzyme washed and then patched) or none?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  19. 1up

1up Well-Known Member

Damn, one last day to decide if I want these RGxCP Chelseas, can get them for about $350USD shipped w/ customs and duties to Canada, which seems like a good deal.

Just don't know if I need a 3rd pair of boots (Tobacco CP Chelseas, Black SeF Sidezips and these).

[​IMG]

20. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Need is irrelevant.

2 people like this.