• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

skitlets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any yoox veterans able to tell what kinda leather this is?

http://www.yoox.com/us/44529756FJ/item?dept=men#sts=sr_men80&cod10=44529756IL&sizeId=3

Lorcan7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking about getting some suede bucks to wear with Engineered Garments and Needles type stuffs.

Saw some Woolrich Woolen Mills white bucks in London that I liked. Can't find them online, only pictures of them I can find are from the lookbook (sorry about douchey bandana man):

They have leather soles (rather than red brick) which I like. Otherwise I'm guessing they're pretty much the same shape as McNairy/Sanders bucks.

Or how about dirty bucks like:

McNairy.

or sand:

Sanders

I'm leaning towards white bucks and the WWM ones in particular, but resisted immediate impulse buying in the store and thought I'd post here.

Any other brands/ suggestions? I know Walk-over and J-Crew do cheaper bucks but they look kind of meh to me. I like the idea of some suede Trickers but they're probably a bit chunky not to mention more expensive.

slstr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the white bucks look the nicest out of the three, if you can get a hold of them for a decent price then I would do that.

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i like it. likely to be really short though, so i hope short is your thing

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thinking about getting some suede bucks to wear with Engineered Garments and Needles type stuffs. Saw some Woolrich Woolen Mills white bucks in London that I liked. Can't find them online, only pictures of them I can find are from the lookbook (sorry about douchey bandana man):
They have leather soles (rather than red brick) which I like. Otherwise I'm guessing they're pretty much the same shape as McNairy/Sanders bucks. Or how about dirty bucks like:
McNairy. or sand: Sanders
I'm leaning towards white bucks and the WWM ones in particular, but resisted immediate impulse buying in the store and thought I'd post here. Any other brands/ suggestions? I know Walk-over and J-Crew do cheaper bucks but they look kind of meh to me. I like the idea of some suede Trickers but they're probably a bit chunky not to mention more expensive.
What sort of pants do you usually wear? With denim I prefer dirty bucks. White bucks are nice but have very warm-weather connotations. They're not like white sneakers. If you wear a lot of khaki toned pants though you may want to go white b/c dirty bucks don't offer much contrast with tan pants. If it were me I'd also choose a crepe or leather sole over red. I like my red brick soles but they're getting dated in the context of men's contemporary, and make the shoes an ounce less versatile, colorwise, and more definitively preppy.

Last edited:

BillKillgore

Reaction score
can't really decice which color, the dark dust ones are probably more suitable for spring/summer

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thinking about getting some suede bucks to wear with Engineered Garments and Needles type stuffs. Saw some Woolrich Woolen Mills white bucks in London that I liked. Can't find them online, only pictures of them I can find are from the lookbook (sorry about douchey bandana man): They have leather soles (rather than red brick) which I like. Otherwise I'm guessing they're pretty much the same shape as McNairy/Sanders bucks. Or how about dirty bucks like: McNairy. or sand: Sanders I'm leaning towards white bucks and the WWM ones in particular, but resisted immediate impulse buying in the store and thought I'd post here. Any other brands/ suggestions? I know Walk-over and J-Crew do cheaper bucks but they look kind of meh to me. I like the idea of some suede Trickers but they're probably a bit chunky not to mention more expensive.
The WWM are made by cheany I think so you could just order a pair direct from them

Lorcan7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the white bucks look the nicest out of the three, if you can get a hold of them for a decent price then I would do that.

What sort of pants do you usually wear? With denim I prefer dirty bucks. White bucks are nice but have very warm-weather connotations. They're not like white sneakers. If you wear a lot of khaki toned pants though you may want to go white b/c dirty bucks don't offer much contrast with tan pants.

If it were me I'd also choose a crepe or leather sole over red. I like my red brick soles but they're getting dated in the context of men's contemporary, and make the shoes an ounce less versatile, colorwise, and more definitively preppy.

Thanks for the replies, shoreman especially!

I was thinking of pairing them with olive pants and shorts mostly (really want some Post Overalls shorts), maybe sometimes light faded denim. I wasn't planning on wearing them year round or anything like that. Though I was hoping they would be fairly versatile - I don't actually own any white sneakers - and would want to rock them in the distinctly average English spring/summer climate.

Definitely agree when it comes to red brick soles, though its quite hard to find bucks without them. I think that's half the reason I'm leaning towards the WWM ones.

The WWM are made by cheany I think so you could just order a pair direct from them

I'll check this out, I had assumed Sanders made them.

conceptionist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking about getting some suede bucks to wear with Engineered Garments and Needles type stuffs.

Saw some Woolrich Woolen Mills white bucks in London that I liked. Can't find them online, only pictures of them I can find are from the lookbook (sorry about douchey bandana man):

They have leather soles (rather than red brick) which I like. Otherwise I'm guessing they're pretty much the same shape as McNairy/Sanders bucks.

Or how about dirty bucks like:

McNairy.

or sand:

Sanders

I'm leaning towards white bucks and the WWM ones in particular, but resisted immediate impulse buying in the store and thought I'd post here.

Any other brands/ suggestions? I know Walk-over and J-Crew do cheaper bucks but they look kind of meh to me. I like the idea of some suede Trickers but they're probably a bit chunky not to mention more expensive.

Not a fan of brick soles.
I've handled those Sanders. Felt great overall. Robust construction and nice thick sole. Also saw a dude wearing them a while back and they looked great worn in.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads