• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes: Your most complimented pair of shoes (that youre not afraid to wear regularly)

EBugatti

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
In all seriousness, though, I'll play along.

Interestingly, an old pair of beaten-to-**** Gucci bit loafers gets me more compliments than any other pair of shoes I've ever worn, and particularly from women. Of course, it's primarily because the bit pattern is instantly recognizable as "Gucci" to most chicks. My many pairs of far nicer, far more expensive, and far better cared for shoes will get the occasional -- amd I mean very occasional -- notice or compliment. But the old Guccis get 'em every time.

The shoes actually do look pretty cool, especially with their patina. But I doubt that's the sole, or even primary reason for the love they receive. People in this country have been trained to look for a label or a brand marker before looking for anything else.

+1. I have the exact same experience. My old Gucci horse-bit loafers (both my basic black and dark brown suede) get regular praise (from women). My EGs? Lobbs? C&Js? Never.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Easy, JM Weston Flore monk in oxblood.
Runner up, interestingly, is a relatively inexpensive pair of Loding brogues in chili -- far more than my Testoni, Santoni, Canali, etc...

Trifon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kev777
CheaneyFS029.jpg

Only had these a couple or so months and have already had countless compliments and a few have placed orders with Cheaney.

What Cheaney last are these made on? I have Herring Langdale boots by Cheaney on the 175 last, but are these on the same or some other?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Since I only wear black shoes the average person doesn't tend to notice them as much. That said the only shoes with the smallest bit of color have gotten the most compliments:

DSC_00062.jpg

pdial

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trifon
What Cheaney last are these made on? I have Herring Langdale boots by Cheaney on the 175 last, but are these on the same or some other?

These are on the 175 last as well.

trader

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
These
belgravesi.jpg

I've never been complimented on these. Only the once "why are you wearing felt shoes?" comment =/ English shoes get no love in the real world. Most complimented are CJ Lowndes or JL Luffield in chestnut museum.

jdldore

Reaction score
I do not receive regular compliments on my shoes. The two that have received recent compliments are a pair of shoes I do not wear very often, but which my assistant loves -- Moreschi Baltimore in brown -- and a pair of EG Robertsbridge in burnt pine. WRT the latter, our GC stopped me in the hall the other day and said, "I like those shoes. They remind me of a pair my father wore." If he were the sarcastic sort, I would have assumed that was not a compliment.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by trader
I've never been complimented on these. Only the once "why are you wearing felt shoes?" comment =/

English shoes get no love in the real world. Most complimented are CJ Lowndes or JL Luffield in chestnut museum.

Depends on your real world then, I guess.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
I'd say these guys. Edward Green Oundle in mocha suede.

MTO_EGs002.jpg

I'll compliment those Oundles and add some envy.
laugh.gif
Just beautiful shoes.

My Tramezza monkstraps get the most attention.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not much of a shoe buff, at least not nearly on the level as a lot of people here, but my Walnut AE Strands usually get a fair amount of compliments. And interestingly enough, probably in 2nd place behind those are a pair of Kenneth Cole Clean Cut boots that I picked up with a very steep discount.

trader

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
Depends on your real world then, I guess.

I live in Toronto. It's all about the eyetalian shoes here. Chicks love the rubber soled black prada and the gucci.

The suede belgraves were probably my most worn shoes this year cause they're so versatile but I seem to be the only one that cares...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads