• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Is the fading available on all the RTW? Personally, I don't like the look.

It actually makes more sense than the 'antiquing" we see on many other shoes. The heel and toe are areas that would get rubbed or sunburnt or worn more than the quarters or the facings or the joint area of the vamp.

In natural antiquing, it's those areas, of any object, that are least exposed to the elements that darken most with age.

Yet common practice is to artificially darken those very areas...sometime garishly...that are most exposed--such as the end of the toe and the heel. In my opinion, and it's opinion only...that's closer to tie-dyeing than antiquing.

Last edited:

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something for the approaching Russian winter...

Santoni:

FosterandSon

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
It actually makes more sense than the 'antiquing" we see on many other shoes. The heel and toe are areas that would get rubbed or sunburnt or worn more than the quarters or the facings or the joint area of the vamp.

In natural antiquing, it's those areas, of any object, that are least exposed to the elements that darken most with age.

Yet common practice is to artificially darken those very areas...sometime garishly...that are most exposed--such as the end of the toe and the heel. In my opinion, and it's opinion only...that's closer to tie-dyeing than antiquing.

DWFII,

The fading process was originally developed in our Workshop a long time ago to replicate the patina acquired by our bespoke samples that had been exposed to sunlight in our South facing window in Duke of York Street before we moved to Jermyn Street in 1965. It was developed in response to customer requests and we have had long experience of doing it, though it's still an art not a science and needs to be done very carefully so as not to weaken the shoe.

Foster & Son

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

DWFII,

The fading process was originally developed in our Workshop a long time ago to replicate the patina acquired by our bespoke samples that had been exposed to sunlight in our South facing window in Duke of York Street before we moved to Jermyn Street in 1965. It was developed in response to customer requests and we have had long experience of doing it, though it's still an art not a science and needs to be done very carefully so as not to weaken the shoe.

Foster & Son

I hope you understand that although I'm not a big fan of any "antiquing"...preferring to let the leather age naturally...what I was saying is that your example posted above makes sense to me--far more than "reverse antiquing"--where toes/heels are darkened. Toes and heels darkening up just doesn't happen in the wild.:nodding:

--

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I find it interesting that the toes and heels don't naturally darken over time. I would think those areas are getting heavier amounts of polish, therefore getting more and more pigmented over time. Also because of the creasing in the vamp area of the shoe I would expect that area to lighten from wear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads