• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What you say is pretty subjective. In general, closed-channel stitching takes more work and skills to accomplish, therefore it costs more to make. Given a choice, I would go with closed-channel stitching every time because to me, it's elegant and slick. Why do you think only on more expensive brand as you mentioned from EG to Lobb that they always offer closed-stiching channel?
Some people don't care for it, maybe because they're close-minded or whatever the reason might be, but it's hard to argue that closed-channel stitching is cheap to make. At $200 dollars, having it is quite amazing to me.
Admittedly, the upper leather isn't on par with EG or Lobb, I'm not going to talk about upper leather because that's not the point of my post. :)

I wasn't responding to you there.

I personally LIKE closed-channel stitching. It is usually a sign that the maker cared about every detail of the shoes. Of those makers I listed above, each offers closed stitching in its' TOP line. Again, a sign that they are paying closer attention to detail in their top offerings.

However, GIVEN A CHOICE of where one would rather the maker spent manufacturing dollars, uppers or closed channel sole, it seems like a no-brainer. Would you trade a lower quality upper for closed stitching sole? OR, would you trade upper stitch quality (close, straight, uniform) for closed channel soles?

My only point was that in order to sell a pair of shoes for $200, the maker MUST be saving money somewhere in order to still make a profit. If they're paying xtra money for the sole treatment, they MUST be saving it elsewhere in order to still make a profit. All things equal, I like close channel. In a $200 shoe, I'd prefer they spend the money on the construction and the uppers. Soles is last on my priority list.

lychyrychy

Reaction score

I wasn't responding to you there.
I personally LIKE closed-channel stitching. It is usually a sign that the maker cared about every detail of the shoes. Of those makers I listed above, each offers closed stitching in its' TOP line. Again, a sign that they are paying closer attention to detail in their top offerings.
However, GIVEN A CHOICE of where one would rather the maker spent manufacturing dollars, uppers or closed channel sole, it seems like a no-brainer. Would you trade a lower quality upper for closed stitching sole? OR, would you trade upper stitch quality (close, straight, uniform) for closed channel soles?
My only point was that in order to sell a pair of shoes for $200, the maker MUST be saving money somewhere in order to still make a profit. If they're paying xtra money for the sole treatment, they MUST be saving it elsewhere in order to still make a profit. All things equal, I like close channel. In a $200 shoe, I'd prefer they spend the money on the construction and the uppers. Soles is last on my priority list.

i agree, given a choice, I rather have superior upper leather than closed-channel stitching every time. It was just a surprise to me that Markowski had this sole finish. At 200 bucks the upper leather cannot be compared to EG or Lobb and I have already mentioned that.

I replied because I thought you went pretty aggressive there. We're all here to be friendly haha:foo:

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
11m8ig5.jpg

ravello medallion cap toe
argyles otc

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

What you say is pretty subjective. In general, closed-channel stitching takes more work and skills to accomplish, therefore it costs more to make. Given a choice, I would go with closed-channel stitching every time because to me, it's elegant and slick. Why do you think only on more expensive brand as you mentioned from EG to Lobb that they always offer closed-stiching channel?
Some people don't care for it, maybe because they're close-minded or whatever the reason might be, but it's hard to argue that closed-channel stitching is cheap to make. At $200 dollars, having it is quite amazing to me.
Admittedly, the upper leather isn't on par with EG or Lobb, I'm not going to talk about upper leather because that's not the point of my post. :)

They all look the same with a nice new Topy attached...:lol:

Last edited:

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You know, I used to go to visit the conservative business dress thread to watch arguments....

Spoo the arguments here are based on so much more. Gemmed vs. non-gemmed or whether spade shoes from 80 years ago have any relevance in today's world, the average stuff people speak about anywhere in teh world.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here a picture of the same shoes with the original chestnut burnishing

m

I really like that shoe. I am sure there are people here who believe it is boring but to me it is perfect.

+ 1 I agree they are damn near perfect as they are without the color change- especially 'off the foot'. But it's not easy to pull off a chestnut bal. Needs a linen lounge suit or seersucker at a garden party or the track, not so great for work wear or anything formal. In other words, this kind of shoe is dating very quickly and in most contexts looks like costume, a big no no for me.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

...come now, every single inch of every piece of shell is unique. Mis-matching pieces shouldn't be an issue as no pairs will ever develop an uniform patina.
Horween shades -- gotta collect 'em all.

i love your AS shell captoe. How do you like the 99 last? is it tts? never tried it before

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads