• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

both are beautiful. prefer the original, though.
might be biased due it's a gap in my rotation.

I prefer the original as well. I have no trouble wearing shoes like this to work. I can understand that people in an office with a traditional suit culture may struggle wearing these but I generally wear odd jacket and trousers and such shoes make me well dressed.

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

quality is another thing...

I have posted numerous times about my issues with Alden quality problems. I am reluctant to draw conclusions from my one off experiences but I am not impressed and will not make any further purchases. I sold all (but one pair) of my Alden shoes earlier this year on ebay. I hope people like them.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I prefer the original as well. I have no trouble wearing shoes like this to work. I can understand that people in an office with a traditional suit culture may struggle wearing these but I generally wear odd jacket and trousers and such shoes make me well dressed.

+1

cliche

Reaction score
Have a question. If I want this burnish look at the front of my shoes do I give them to my local shoemaker? Or can I do it?

/ C

Kemper

Reaction score

Have a question. If I want this burnish look at the front of my shoes do I give them to my local shoemaker? Or can I do it?

/ C

Maybe, you can ask. In Paris where I live, burnishings are generally made by people who are specialized in burnishings, but they are not shoemakers. There are some shoe stores which can make burnishing too, on shoes on their own brands, like JM Weston or Septième Largeur.

You can try yourself, it's not really difficult. There must be some tutorials somewhere on the web.

What is easier to do for a beginner is a burnishing only with cream (Saphir is the best). First you must clean (or strip, sorry for my english) the shoes with acetone, until the leather is quite clear. Then apply coats of Saphir Cream (of different colours if you want nuances).
Try first on old shoes. And don't be afraid, it's reversible.

Kemper

Reaction score

The chestnut burnishing is ok, but a bit difficult to wear with suits imo.
But in terms of evolution, it's really more interesting than any dark leather of course.

cliche

Reaction score
Maybe, you can ask. In Paris where I live, burnishings are generally made by people who are specialized in burnishings, but they are not shoemakers. There are some shoe stores which can make burnishing too, on shoes on their own brands, like JM Weston or Septième Largeur.
You can try yourself, it's not really difficult. There must be some tutorials somewhere on the web.
What is easier to do for a beginner is a burnishing only with cream (Saphir is the best). First you must clean (or strip, sorry for my english) the shoes with acetone, until the leather is quite clear. Then apply coats of Saphir Cream (of different colours if you want nuances).
Try first on old shoes. And don't be afraid, it's reversible.

Thanks alot for this wonderful answer! Well my shoemaker sells C&J shoes and Saphir I think he will manage. You think it will be nice on a pair dark brown double monks in C&J?

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The chestnut burnishing is ok, but a bit difficult to wear with suits imo.
But in terms of evolution, it's really more interesting than any dark leather of course.

tumblr_li2b5nLNvm1qfex1b.jpg

I think you could wear those burnished EGs with what Mr. Barbera is wearing and the would look smashing.

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Another exemple of new burnishing, on Crockett & Jones Wesbourne
Before :

Now :

This is great, I like both. I've seen the pictures many times now and still undecided which one I like more, the new color is so cool

I have no trouble wearing shoes like this to work. I can understand that people in an office with a traditional suit culture may struggle wearing these but I generally wear odd jacket and trousers and such shoes make me well dressed.

+1

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads