• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^^

Blue is the new black. :smarmy:

i have been saying this for the past 6 weekd :nodding:

Have none of you read my posts for the past 2 years?

068a3c8f.jpg

I pretty much have never-healing shoe damage. Do you think I can benefit from bespoke?
Taken last night upon sock removal:
Be warned, kinda gross...

Last edited:

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I pretty much have never-healing shoe damage. Do you think I can benefit from bespoke?
Taken last night upon sock removal:
Be warned, kinda gross...
a0620af9.jpg

98b7a0c6.jpg

I have no certain answers. But the first thing I would do is buy a pair of thick cotton socks. Soft cotton socks.

Then I would buy a pair of shoes that fit with those socks on. Snug but not too snug.

Stop wearing thin nylon or synthetic socks.

Socks can make a big difference, not only in the fit but in the amount of moisture that is held against the skin.

Another thing I would do is powder your feet with unscented, talc based baby powder (some BP is made of cornstarch).

If none of that helps I would see a doctor. Open sores like that can get infected quickly and cause serious problems.

Last edited:

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have no certain answers. But the first thing I would do is buy a pair of thick cotton socks. Soft cotton socks.
Then I would buy a pair of shoes that fit with those socks on. Snug but not too snug.
Socks can make a big difference, not only in the fit but in the amount of moisture that is held against the skin.
Another thing I would do is powder your feet with unscented, talc based baby powder (some BP is made of cornstarch).
If none of that helps I would see a doctor. Open sores like that can get infected quickly and cause serious problems.

I remember years ago I had an itch on the side of my foot and it would get worse with heat. I put up with it for like one year. I worked in the airlines so 'nuff said where my feet would have been = in a thousand bathtubs. Eventually I just took myself to a foot doctor. Problem identified (fungus) and tablets and topical cream (Lamasil from memory). Went away never re-appeared. You need to get serious.

Last edited:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Surprised at this. I would have thought that (thin) wool socks would be preferred, due to their better wicking (like) properties?

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Surprised at this. I would have thought that (thin) wool socks would be preferred, due to their better wicking (like) properties?

Cotton wicks quite well. But wool is probably fine. I wear a lot of wool and I just like cotton socks better. Personal preference.

That said, I was shopping for socks yesterday and while I don't put much energy into buying socks, I didn't see a single pair in wool. Cotton, acrylics, dacron, polyester, etc., even bamboo. But no wool.

One other thought...some folks are allergic to chrome salts...which can leech out of the leather in wet, warm conditions. Rashes and open sores can result. I've not dealt with a lot of people with chrome allergies but it's not all that uncommon.

Again a heavier sock would help and making sure the shoemaker uses veg tanned linings, if nothing else..

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That said, I was shopping for socks yesterday and while I don't put much energy into buying socks, I didn't see a single pair in wool. Cotton, acrylics, dacron, polyester, etc., even bamboo. But no wool.

Finding good, thin wool socks can be a hassle, but they make up for it with great shoe 'climate'. IME. Something like these.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I don't wear nylon or synthetic socks. All of my socks are cotton, or wool pantharella. I hate the look of thick socks with a suit.

I have been getting sores like this for probably about 10 years, they come and go and never have been a huge problem for me.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I don't wear nylon or synthetic socks. All of my socks are cotton, or wool pantharella. I hate the look of thick socks with a suit.
I have been getting sores like this for probably about 10 years, they come and go and never have been a huge problem for me.

Say no more...

That said, ask yourself if open sores are a common condition for a healthy individual. :tinfoil:

Knowledge is King

Reaction score

Honest question -- are you sure your shoes fit you? You shouldn't have to deal with that and the fact that it's happening on multiple places on your foot seems like maybe it's a fit issue. Sorry for the stupid question but what you just posted aint right.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Honest question -- are you sure your shoes fit you? It sounds like a stupid question but what you just posted aint right my friend. Are you trying to wear shoes that you like the look of even though they don't fit you?

I mean, I don't know? I would assume they fit me just as well as anybody else buying a RTW shoe and settling on a size.

I should also probably mention that I walk a lot in dress shoes. A lot of people put on dress shoes and shuffle around in an office and do most of their time sitting. Those photos above (the heel) happened after I walked about 5 miles on a rainy, muggy day. The toe was a different pair of shoes, but walking probably about 7 miles.

If I were to be going from a car to an office my feet wouldn't feel a thing, it is only after miles that this happens with different atmospheric pressures. One thing that I feel is a benefit to me is that the soles on my feet never hurt, ever. I could walk and walk and walk and they are always fine. It is just little pressures over time on the tops and back that cause issues. I really think the toe thing has to do with my giant instep and arch, my instep pushes against the vamp in just about all RTW shoes.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads