• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would rather the... burn than wear sandals! :slayer:

I had a friend in college that felt exactly the same way about bareback lovin'.
Needless to say, he is no longer with us.

I have been getting sores like this for probably about 10 years, they come and go and never have been a huge problem for me.

Same friend, different quote. This is getting creepy. Are you SURE you didn't go to Villanova???

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I mean, I don't know? I would assume they fit me just as well as anybody else buying a RTW shoe and settling on a size.
I should also probably mention that I walk a lot in dress shoes. A lot of people put on dress shoes and shuffle around in an office and do most of their time sitting. Those photos above (the heel) happened after I walked about 5 miles on a rainy, muggy day. The toe was a different pair of shoes, but walking probably about 7 miles.
If I were to be going from a car to an office my feet wouldn't feel a thing, it is only after miles that this happens with different atmospheric pressures. One thing that I feel is a benefit to me is that the soles on my feet never hurt, ever. I could walk and walk and walk and they are always fine. It is just little pressures over time on the tops and back that cause issues. I really think the toe thing has to do with my giant instep and arch, my instep pushes against the vamp in just about all RTW shoes.

That **** really frightens me. I hear you saying that the sores come and go and that you are just fine. But the current pics look chronic at this point. Chronic sores/infections take a toll on your overall health in a not so minor way. And eventually one of those things is going to go meta on you and cause you some serious problems.

It seems to me that just pressure on the points would cause corns but not open sores. Aren't open sores usually created by friction which is compounded by heat and humidity? The sores on the heals seem almost certainly to be friction related to me.

If you don't wear socks in the summer, start - as heat, humidity and leather are not a good combination and will open up the skin pretty readily even with shoes that otherwize do fine without socks.

I see you don't like thick socks - and from a visual perspective I completely agree with you - they are simply not very elegant. You might consider wearing two pairs of socks at the same time one very thin cotton pair under your normal outer pair. This will provide a little extra moisture control as well as friction protection. I would also consider daily neosporin before bed and powder every day before putting on your shoes.

I hate to sound like an alarmist but that **** on your toe is going to turn serious some day when your immune system is not running full steam and you could end up without a toe.

Sorry to rant and rave - but it's out of genuine concern.

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I mean, I don't know? I would assume they fit me just as well as anybody else buying a RTW shoe and settling on a size.
I should also probably mention that I walk a lot in dress shoes. A lot of people put on dress shoes and shuffle around in an office and do most of their time sitting. Those photos above (the heel) happened after I walked about 5 miles on a rainy, muggy day. The toe was a different pair of shoes, but walking probably about 7 miles.
If I were to be going from a car to an office my feet wouldn't feel a thing, it is only after miles that this happens with different atmospheric pressures. One thing that I feel is a benefit to me is that the soles on my feet never hurt, ever. I could walk and walk and walk and they are always fine. It is just little pressures over time on the tops and back that cause issues. I really think the toe thing has to do with my giant instep and arch, my instep pushes against the vamp in just about all RTW shoes.

PLEASE do not allow any of your footwear to end up on the B&S... PLEASE< PLEASE< PLEASE!!!

I'm having visions of that monkey in Outbreak!

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I can only hope my toe falls off, then I won't have the problem anymore. I'll post pictures when it happens.

freedom_fries

Reaction score

I can only hope my toe falls off, then I won't have the problem anymore. I'll post pictures when it happens.

i will admit you have some of the most amusing posts on here.

but for serious, try wearing band-aids over the heel spots for awhile (i get something similar but only after a few days into a backpacking trip) , and do see a doctor about the toe because that looks like a fungal infection.

also why wear thong sandals when you can wear camo-crocs?

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

in all seriousness, I can 100% understand your disdain for athletic footwear & love for fine shoes. I share the same addiction.

However, when you plan to walk 5+ miles at a time, you really need to switch to athletics. There is no real dress shoe designed for that kind of walking. A mile or 2 is fine, but 5+ is out of their range.

Maybe some Lobb/ Nike custom hybrid?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have tried band-aids and they end up after the day balled up in my sock nowhere near where I put them! :laugh:

Actually the toe looks pretty good now and doesn't hurt. I don't think it was infected at all, it was just a popped blister.

I remember when I first got this one pair of shoes (not mentioning any brands) they cut the back of my heel upon first wearing so bad that I was bleeding down the heel counter. The blood got on the hem of my trousers and dried and got all crinkly. Don't worry I sold that suit on B&S so it is out of my hands, ;) I don't think I felt it all that much as it was happening because I was drunk most of the evening.

FWIW, renovatuer works great on blood.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am a wanderer.

That day I was in Central Park with my speacial lady friend arguing about The Fountainhead.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads