• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I don't think that Bengal Stripe was implying that this was the norm for RTW makers, he pointed out the techniques how to stabilise the waist.

To what purpose? He quoted me. I had no problem with him doing that nor, on the face of it, the material that he presented. But, I know how to stabilize a waist (even if that's not entirely what I was referring to), I don't think I need lessons. If the material was being presented for the benefit of others that's fine but quoting me, esp. if it's misinterpreted, begs a clarification on my part...at the very least. And that's what I tried to do.

Part of that clarification is, one...both the insole and heel stiffener he displayed are not typical of RTW work. Yet most bespoke shoemakers would hesitate to make so narrow a waist for the reasons I outlined. So either the shoe with the narrow waist is RTW...and the insole and heel stiffener that BS presented immaterial/moot...or the shoe is atypical bespoke work. I suspect the first explanation is the correct one.

And two, the issue really isn't, and wasn't, about stabilization of the waist at all but about the overhang of the insole and a concomitant vulnerability of the vamp because of it. The major reason shoes have a separate outsole is to protect the shoe...specifically the vamp where it interfaces with the real world--ie. the ground. Any outsole technique that fails to protect the shoe should rightfully be questioned. If you like you can imagine the shoe without an outsole. What would you expect if you walked around in it? The insole, and the vamp where it was pulled over the insole, would quickly wear away. If you cut the outsole such that it exposes...fails to protect...those very same surfaces, you expose the shoe to the same vulnerabilities.

I suspect that there's a catch-22 here...you may need to be a shoemaker to understand what a shoemaker sees in such circumstances. It's the ethos I spoke of earlier. Perhaps that explains why my remarks were misinterpreted and inappropriate explanations proffered.

Last edited:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To what purpose? He quoted me. I had no problem with him doing that nor, on the face of it, the material that he presented. But, I know how to stabilize a waist (even if that's not entirely what I was referring to), I don't think I need lessons. If the material was being presented for the benefit of others that's fine but quoting me, esp. if it's misinterpreted, begs a clarification on my part...at the very least. And that's what I tried to do.

Part of that clarification is, one...both the insole and heel stiffener he displayed are not typical of RTW work. Yet most bespoke shoemakers would hesitate to make so narrow a waist for the reasons I outlined. So either the shoe with the narrow waist is RTW...and the insole and heel stiffener that BS presented immaterial/moot...or the shoe is atypical bespoke work. I suspect the first explanation is the correct one.

And two, the issue really isn't, and wasn't, about stabilization of the waist at all but about the overhang of the insole and a concomitant vulnerability of the vamp because of it. The major reason shoes have a separate outsole is to protect the shoe...specifically the vamp where it interfaces with the real world--ie. the ground. Any outsole technique that fails to protect the shoe should rightfully be questioned. If you like you can imagine the shoe without an outsole. What would you expect if you walked around in it? The insole, and the vamp where it was pulled over the insole, would quickly wear away. If you cut the outsole such that it exposes...fails to protect...those very same surfaces, you expose the shoe to the same vulnerabilities.

I suspect that there's a catch-22 here...you may need to be a shoemaker to understand what a shoemaker sees in such circumstances. It's the ethos I spoke of earlier. Perhaps that explains why my remarks were misinterpreted and inappropriate explanations proffered.

Most RTW makers don't have those stabilizing heel cups and some even uses heat formed plastic.

On the bespoke shoes with such narrow waist that I've handled, the upper around the thin waist are definitely stiffened by either or both stiffeners and curved insoles.

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've owned a pair of Dinkelackers once. Their lasts are ugly, roomy blobs, but this is just part of the maker's ethos. They make them once -- and they make them last. All is done by hand with Hungarian methods. They really do last a fallout winter. Even in Sweden.

This webstore has a bit more info in English: www.menshoes.de

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Most RTW makers don't have those stabilizing heel cups and some even uses heat formed plastic.

On the bespoke shoes with such narrow waist that I've handled, the upper around the thin waist are definitely stiffened by either or both stiffeners and curved insoles.

+1 Right on all counts.

Many, if not most, bespoke shoes will be "stiffened" through the waist regardless of the way the outsole is cut. I use "mid-liners" in all my shoes. I also make my heel stiffeners a bit longer than many/most RTW shoes--the heel stiffener is actually as long as the last itself although it wraps around the back of the heel.The mid-liners extend from the leading edge of the heel stiffener to the trailing edge of the toe stiffener.

Few, if any RTW makers use mid-liners, long heel stiffeners or arch supporting insoles.

But again, as interesting as all this is, the original strand of the thread was not about stiffening or stabilization but about exposing a weight bearing, plantar surface to potential wear.

All that said,, I've never seen a bespoke shoe with such a narrow waist--no reason unless the insole was similarly narrow (a point I raised in my original comments). And any maker that understands feet...or is making shoes for real world feet...would, I suspect, be hesitant to make the insole that narrow, nevermind the outsole.

And IIRC, there was a fairly big brouhaha not so long ago on this forum about how ugly a pair of Tom Fords with a similar waist, were.

--

Last edited:

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Yet most bespoke shoemakers would hesitate to make so narrow a waist for the reasons I outlined......or the shoe is atypical bespoke work.

All that said,, I've never seen a bespoke shoe with such a narrow waist-

Koji Suzuki

Masura Okuyama

Yohei Fukuda

Anthony Delos

Last edited:

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Go back and read my comments again. I didn't say that I'd never seen a narrow waist...I said "I've never seen a bespoke shoe with such a narrow waist" (as the one posted at the beginning of this conversation). I make many of my waists as narrow as the ones you posted. It is a look that I said I liked...again if you read the conversation and not just kibitz..

You have a lot of knowledge and you're to be commended for that--at least you don't choose to be entirely ignorant. But I don't think you even know what you're looking at in the photos you posted. Where is the edge of the insole relative to the edge of the outsole? I suspect you couldn't tell. I couldn't...not with 100% certainty. Without knowing that, your photos and all the rest, are just exercises in non sequitur, at best...or, at worst, another misguided attempt to present yourself as a jedi, albeit one who has never felt the "force."

With all due respect, if you're not a shoemaker...if you don't have leather dust down deep in your lungs; rosin and pitch under your fingernails; if your fingers don't know what it feels like to split a bristle or wrap the taw; if your muscles don't remember the amount of controlled force it takes to pull a waxed end through the holdfast; if your back doesn't have at least a slight (but permanent) curve to it from bending over the work for years; you simply don't know what you're talking about. It's all opinion and not much different from what you can pull off of Wikipedia.

Having said that I have to ask myself why you're so intent on busting my junk when what I said was that "I have not seen"...which is very different from "there are no...".

In that context, your photos are just a diversion from the issue at hand, and contribute nothing positive...or of value to the conversation.

--

Last edited:

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting to see the common narrow heel of the Japanese makers... would definitely affect my lateral movements. :D They are like the antithesis of the Barrie heel.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads