• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fiddler

Reaction score
I wish I could tie my laces like that....
dozingoff.gif

I saw how its done at their shop....you just give everything you do one extra turn.

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Go back and read my comments again. I didn't say that I'd never seen a narrow waist...I said "I've never seen a bespoke shoe with such a narrow waist" (as the one posted at the beginning of this conversation). I make many of my waists as narrow as the ones you posted. It is a look that I said I liked...again if you read the conversation and not just kibitz..

You have a lot of knowledge and you're to be commended for that--at least you don't choose to be entirely ignorant. But I don't think you even know what you're looking at in the photos you posted. Where is the edge of the insole relative to the edge of the outsole? I suspect you couldn't tell. I couldn't...not with 100% certainty. Without knowing that, your photos and all the rest, are just exercises in non sequitur, at best...or, at worst, another misguided attempt to present yourself as a jedi, albeit one who has never felt the "force."

With all due respect, if you're not a shoemaker...if you don't have leather dust down deep in your lungs; rosin and pitch under your fingernails; if your fingers don't know what it feels like to split a bristle or wrap the taw; if your muscles don't remember the amount of controlled force it takes to pull a waxed end through the holdfast; if your back doesn't have at least a slight (but permanent) curve to it from bending over the work for years; you simply don't know what you're talking about. It's all opinion and not much different from what you can pull off of Wikipedia.

Having said that I have to ask myself why you're so intent on busting my junk when what I said was that "I have not seen"...which is very different from "there are no...".

In that context, your photos are just a diversion from the issue at hand, and contribute nothing positive...or of value to the conversation.

--

I wonder if I have magic, non-real world feet then as after long and intense use no problems have occured. And if yes, I wonder how I could extened that magic unealness...to...other parts of my body.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I wonder if I have magic, non-real world feet then as after long and intense use no problems have occured. And if yes, I wonder how I could extened that magic unealness...to...other parts of my body.

Since you're quoting me...and by default, addressing this comment to me...please explain how your remark relates to anything in the quote or the relevant conversation. Or are you just wanting to dredge up an already stale disagreement on someone else's behalf?

As for whether you have magic feet...

How old are you?

Where do you wear your shoes?

Some people smoke all their lives and will smirkingly tell you that "no problems have occurred"...who are we to question them?

--

Last edited:

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Since you're quoting me...and by default, addressing this comment to me...please explain how your remark relates to anything in the quote or the relevant conversation. Or are you just wanting to dredge up an already stale disagreement on someone else's behalf?

As for whether you have magic feet...

How old are you?

Where do you wear your shoes?

Some people smoke all their lives and will smirkingly tell you that "no problems have occurred"...who are we to question them?

--

Weren't you talking very extensively about certain features of a pair of shoes that I happened to wear and use quite a bit, saying that these features and the make have to be questioned,making the shoes unwearable in the real world and that they apparently were not made for real feet? It was my understanding that you did, what I find confusing as I still use them.
I wear them in the streets (!), mostly walking a lot (!!), the first wearing was ca.15h with 6-7h of walking/visiting things. Sometimes at parties. There is no 'carpeted office' scenario going on here when they get their wear most of the time.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Really, gentlemen, who gives a ****?

It's an interesting point about how much support a narrow-waisted shoe may or may not need. But this is getting petty.

Did anyone buy any new shoes lately?

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Really, gentlemen, who gives a ****? It's an interesting point about how much support a narrow-waisted shoe may or may not need. But this is getting petty. Did anyone buy any new shoes lately?
You are only jealous that you possibly might not have magic feet :foo:! I don't know, did I post these yet?

Last edited:

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Weren't you talking very extensively about certain features of a pair of shoes that I happened to wear and use quite a bit, saying that these features and the make have to be questioned,making the shoes unwearable in the real world and that they apparently were not made for real feet? It was my understanding that you did, what I find confusing as I still use them.
I wear them in the streets (!), mostly walking a lot (!!), the first wearing was ca.15h with 6-7h of walking/visiting things. Sometimes at parties. There is no 'carpeted office' scenario going on here when they get their wear most of the time.

In this conversation? Recently?

No.

Nor have I ever, that I can recall, spoken about any make/brand of shoe.

Really, I will, and have, answered any question that you pose to me about shoes...with courtesy and as objectively as I can. I have stipulated that my perspective is as a shoemaker...which is both admittedly limiting and uniquely insightful. Some questions I can answer, some I cannot. Take it however you want, but I ask anyone to do me the reciprocal courtesy of at least trying to follow and understand my remarks if you're going to question them.

In the end, no one is forced to accept insights or abandon their chosen ignorance...certainly not by dint of my opinions being popular or au currant and certainly not by my dissing any particular brand. Nor am I selling anything except...perhaps understanding.

There is an old saying in the shoemaking Trade: "Any maker who tells you he has never had a misfit is either lying or needs a new standard for fit." Similarly, you may wear a certain pair of shoes, a certain brand of shoes, a certain type of construction without problems for years and years. It doesn't mean that the problems aren't there. It doesn't nullify ten thousand years of evolution towards making footwear that is stable and long wearing and comfortable. Every aspect of bespoke shoemaking...until mass manufacturing came into play...developed with a goal of eliminating weak spots and potential problems. Mass manufacturing introduced planned obsolescence...perhaps not deliberately but to the extent that techniques and skills and skilled worker were discarded to maximize profit, those ten thousand years of bespoke traditions and philosophies went by the board.

You didn't say how old you were. You may not have problems...that you can see or feel...yet. From what I understand individuals with Lotus feet never had problems either. The human body is remarkably resilient. Foot problems that relate to improper fit take years to develop.

You may not ever have had problems with your shoes as far as wear or longevity...like the smoker in my above analogy. But I suspect that if the truth were known and you did, it wouldn't bother you a bit and you'd just go out and buy another pair. Nor would it ever occur to you to say "Aha! DW was right!"

But I've seen the problems...too many problems to cry about...that arise from mass manufacturing philosophies and I've documented some of them here. So unless you want to question me endlessly about issues you may not be in a position to either understand or talk about with authority...your best bet is just to be grateful that you are so fortunate, and hope your luck holds.

But magic never lasts...

--

Last edited:

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Really, gentlemen, who gives a ****?

It's an interesting point about how much support a narrow-waisted shoe may or may not need.  But this is getting petty.  

Did anyone buy any new shoes lately?

With all due respect...this is what rankles...it was never about support from my point of view. That issue was manufactured by someone who either didn't take the time to read my remarks or wasn't in a position to understand... and so decided to reinterpret them.

--

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads