• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Damage Report & Appreciation Central - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thurston
Yes, perfectly, in my experience.

Yes, the fit is pretty true. They are a bit snug though at first. But since they are unlined, they will give and mold to your feet. My RM Williams use to be my most comfortable boots. But these chukkas trump RM in terms of comfort. They almost feel like slippers. I see another pair in light tan in my near future.
inlove.gif

union1411

Reaction score
Hi, my first post, but I'll be posting quite a bit i think.

Anyways, is the shoe damage to my Ferragamo boots below - the fold is very wrinkly - beyond repair? all the shoe repair guys here in ny said there is nothing i can do but use shoe trees, which has done nothing (i put them in the trees at one point for over two months while conditioning them every few days.

It's my fault for wearing them in the rain/snow a few times and not using the shoe trees immediately i suppose.

picture714.jpg

picture715.jpg

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by union1411
Hi, my first post, but I'll be posting quite a bit i think.

Anyways, is the shoe damage to my Ferragamo boots below - the fold is very wrinkly - beyond repair? all the shoe repair guys here in ny said there is nothing i can do but use shoe trees, which has done nothing (i put them in the trees at one point for over two months while conditioning them every few days.

It's my fault for wearing them in the rain/snow a few times and not using the shoe trees immediately i suppose.

picture714.jpg

picture715.jpg

soft leather + imperfect fit = those wrinkles. Tree em but that's all you'll get.

emptym

Reaction score
I'd wear them for a few hours, then take them off and apply a generous amount of leather conditioner. Then put shoe trees in them. Finally, put them in a plastic bag with a small hole in it for a little bit of ventilation. A grocery bag is perfect. It lets the maximum amount of conditioner be absorbed by the leather. Leave them in the bag for a couple days. The creases should be less noticeable. You might have to do this a couple times. It's worked well for me. Remember too that shoe trees are most effective when the shoes are warm and wet from recent wear.

If none of them answer you in this thread, I'd pm Bengalstripe, Nick V, or RIDER for advice too.

Leffot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sammy
Yes, the fit is pretty true. They are a bit snug though at first. But since they are unlined, they will give and mold to your feet. My RM Williams use to be my most comfortable boots. But these chukkas trump RM in terms of comfort. They almost feel like slippers. I see another pair in light tan in my near future.
inlove.gif

I find the Leydon last runs a bit narrow. I wear my snuff chukkas in an E width. These are perhaps the most comfortable shoes I own and I often make the slipper comparison.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bird's One View
Do you find the Leydon narrow across the toes, or in the instep or heel area?

leydon ~= barrie with less toe room

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Buckingham, 61 last, mink suede with tan contrast stitching:

p1010331l.jpg

Steel toe:

p1010332e.jpg

Unlined:

p1010333f.jpg

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Buckingham, 61 last, mink suede with tan contrast stitching: Unlined:
p1010333f.jpg

Nice Manton, congrats! Been pondering a EG unlined my self, In light of Jamaicans GG Im leaning towards the Newelyn. Is it completely unlined? How is for instance toe box construction? Shoes feel much lighter?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by speedster.8
Nice Manton, congrats!
Been pondering a EG unlined my self, In light of Jamaicans GG Im leaning towards the Newelyn.
Is it completely unlined? How is for instance toe box construction? Shoes feel much lighter?

There is a toe box and a heel reinforcing thingy. The shoe does, however, feel MUCH different than a lined loafter. The latter feel really stiff by comparison. And, yes, unlined is a lot lighter.

Salsalocust

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Panzeraxe II
Both the Westbourne and the Albany are on the 348 last

Hi Guys,

Interested to have an opinion here. I picked up this "Albany" on the samples rack.

The box is correctly marked 9796 -29X whereas the shoes are marked 9796 - 11B

Well, they are clearly not chestnut burnished calf ( 11B)... I think I might have acquired a mismarked perfect shoe
smile.gif

Secondly: the 337, 348 debate.... which do you think this is. I do not have a 337 or a 348 in UK 7.5 currently to hand!!
laugh.gif

Picture885.jpg

Picture886.jpg

Regards,

Graham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads