• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe damage and when/when not to wear shoes

enarchay

Reaction score
Before I knew about the value of AE discontinued models/seconds, I bought a pair of SAS penny loafers in an attempt to save a little money. (New AE loafers cost about $300, and I got the SAS shoes for $180--a step above Sebago.) I was visiting a college to see a conference, and my hotel was directly across from the conference hall--about 50 feet or so. I wore the loafers for only three days--maybe less. Wear consisted of walking from point A (the hotel) to point B (the conference hall); the roads/sidewalks were well-paved. I also wore the shoes out of my car to walk into a CVS. After this brief amount of walking, I noticed that the rubber part of the heel had began to peel and separate. I have no idea how this happened, but it seems just ridiculous that a brand new pair of shoes would wear out like that after only three days modest wear. Since I ordered the shoes from SAS through a local store with no return policy, it seems like I'm basically screwed. SAS no longer offers shoe repairs, and they may not be able to find me another loafer in my size to send me as a replacement (the model is discontinued). If so, my only option is to take the shoes to a cobbler and hope he can replace the heel; but he might not be able to: even though the shoes are hand-sewn, the heel may be constructed in such a way that prevents it from being reconstructed. So after this event, I'm really paranoid about wearing leather-soled shoes, and I'm afraid that I'm going to damage my other shoes, such as the AE McClains I recently bought. My question is when do you guys wear your shoes and are there any situations you try to avoid? For example, I sometimes go for walks on the local boardwalk, so I thought I'd break-in my McClains during this time. I noticed that the pavement was sort of bumpy; there was also a bit of sand that had blown off the beach. I began to worry that such conditions could hurt my shoes more than necessary. But where does the worrying end? Aren't shoes meant to be worn, even leather-soled shoes? One person recommended that I have "topy" placed on the soles of my shoes to preserve them, but is this worth it? I've also seen taps recommended, but I'd assume that that would suck most of the comfort out of the shoes. What do you guys think?

nbmplano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by enarchay
Before I knew about the value of AE discontinued models/seconds, I bought a pair of SAS penny loafers in an attempt to save a little money. (New AE loafers cost about $300, and I got the SAS shoes for $180--a step above Sebago.)

I was visiting a college to see a conference, and my hotel was directly across from the conference hall--about 50 feet or so. I wore the loafers for only three days--maybe less. Wear consisted of walking from point A (the hotel) to point B (the conference hall); the roads/sidewalks were well-paved. I also wore the shoes out of my car to walk into a CVS.

After this brief amount of walking, I noticed that the rubber part of the heel had began to peel and separate. I have no idea how this happened, but it seems just ridiculous that a brand new pair of shoes would wear out like that after only three days modest wear. Since I ordered the shoes from SAS through a local store with no return policy, it seems like I'm basically screwed. SAS no longer offers shoe repairs, and they may not be able to find me another loafer in my size to send me as a replacement (the model is discontinued). If so, my only option is to take the shoes to a cobbler and hope he can replace the heel; but he might not be able to: even though the shoes are hand-sewn, the heel may be constructed in such a way that prevents it from being reconstructed.

So after this event, I'm really paranoid about wearing leather-soled shoes, and I'm afraid that I'm going to damage my other shoes, such as the AE McClains I recently bought.

My question is when do you guys wear your shoes and are there any situations you try to avoid? For example, I sometimes go for walks on the local boardwalk, so I thought I'd break-in my McClains during this time. I noticed that the pavement was sort of bumpy; there was also a bit of sand that had blown off the beach. I began to worry that such conditions could hurt my shoes more than necessary. But wear does the worrying end? Aren't shoes meant to be worn, even leather-soled shoes?

One person recommended that I have "topy" placed on the soles of my shoes to preserve them, but is this worth it? I've also seen taps recommended, but I'd assume that that would suck most of the comfort out of the shoes.

What do you guys think?

From SAS's website:

Does SAS offer a warranty?

We do guarantee our footwear from manufacturers' defects within a reasonable amount of time and wear. Normal or abnormal wear and tear is not considered a manufacturer's defect.

enarchay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nbmplano
From SAS's website:
Yes, and I sent the shoes in. They said it's not a factory defect, and they're basically blaming me. I must have worn them unusually so as to cause the problem. I mean, for all they know, maybe I'm an FBI agent who has to chase down criminals in my leather-soled shoes. Haha.

nbmplano

Reaction score
Yes, and I sent the shoes in. They said it's not a factory defect, and they're basically blaming me. I must have worn them unusually so as to cause the problem. I mean, for all they know, maybe I'm an FBI agent who has to chase down criminals in my leather-soled shoes. Haha.

That's ridiculous. 3 days of minor wear and the heel is falling off? How is that NOT a defect? I would argue all day long with them about this one.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Before I knew about the value of AE discontinued models/seconds, I bought a pair of SAS penny loafers in an attempt to save a little money. (New AE loafers cost about $300, and I got the SAS shoes for $180--a step above Sebago.)

I was visiting a college to see a conference, and my hotel was directly across from the conference hall--about 50 feet or so. I wore the loafers for only three days--maybe less. Wear consisted of walking from point A (the hotel) to point B (the conference hall); the roads/sidewalks were well-paved. I also wore the shoes out of my car to walk into a CVS.

After this brief amount of walking, I noticed that the rubber part of the heel had began to peel and separate. I have no idea how this happened, but it seems just ridiculous that a brand new pair of shoes would wear out like that after only three days modest wear. Since I ordered the shoes from SAS through a local store with no return policy, it seems like I'm basically screwed. SAS no longer offers shoe repairs, and they may not be able to find me another loafer in my size to send me as a replacement (the model is discontinued). If so, my only option is to take the shoes to a cobbler and hope he can replace the heel; but he might not be able to: even though the shoes are hand-sewn, the heel may be constructed in such a way that prevents it from being reconstructed.

So after this event, I'm really paranoid about wearing leather-soled shoes, and I'm afraid that I'm going to damage my other shoes, such as the AE McClains I recently bought.

My question is when do you guys wear your shoes and are there any situations you try to avoid? For example, I sometimes go for walks on the local boardwalk, so I thought I'd break-in my McClains during this time. I noticed that the pavement was sort of bumpy; there was also a bit of sand that had blown off the beach. I began to worry that such conditions could hurt my shoes more than necessary. But where does the worrying end? Aren't shoes meant to be worn, even leather-soled shoes?

One person recommended that I have "topy" placed on the soles of my shoes to preserve them, but is this worth it? I've also seen taps recommended, but I'd assume that that would suck most of the comfort out of the shoes.

What do you guys think?

I am sure a decent cobbler will be able to repair these at minimal cost. Your concerns about leather soled shoes are the same as many others who aren't used to wearing leather soles. You can pretty much wear them on any terrain you want (most people avoid wearing them in wet conditions) without worry. I live in NYC and I only wear leather soles shoes and I walk everywhere and I walk a lot, pavement, if there is street construction, parks, tile, carpets... With proper rotation of shoes you shouldn't worry. Plus, the soles are leather and if they wear through you can simply get them resoled. The bottoms will scratch up and such but if they become soft if you push your thumb against them, or there is a hole, just get them resoled.

arc

Reaction score
You can pretty much wear them on any terrain you want (most people avoid wearing them in wet conditions) without worry.
This. A couple months ago I spent a few hours climbing a volcano, lots of pointy obsidian and igneous rock dust and all, in leather-soled RM Williams boots. It was a spur of the moment thing - these would certainly not be my first choice for hiking on that kind of terrain. At the time I thought it'd rip the soles to shreds; however, the boots are still in fine shape now, and being worn once or twice a week. The soles have plenty of life left in them; looking at them you wouldn't think they'd seen any worse than a month or two of walking around on concrete. With decently made footwear, you can get away with a lot of abuse.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by arc
This. A couple months ago I spent a few hours climbing a volcano, lots of pointy obsidian and igneous rock dust and all, in leather-soled RM Williams boots. It was a spur of the moment thing - these would certainly not be my first choice for hiking on that kind of terrain. At the time I thought it'd rip the soles to shreds; however, the boots are still in fine shape now, and being worn once or twice a week. The soles have plenty of life left in them; looking at them you wouldn't think they'd seen any worse than a month or two of walking around on concrete.

With decently made footwear, you can get away with a lot of abuse.

Yeah. Keep in mind that until the turn of the 20th century and the invention of the rubber heel, all soles were leather. Every single one. If you needed more grip, they stuck hobnails in 'em. Other then that, you just wore them.

As for the OP's heels, that is a manufacturer's defect no ifs, ands or buts. They're trying to screw you.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And a cobbler can def replace. And fyi, no need to "break in" shoes IMO. Wear them when you need to wear them. Walks on boardwalks don't count.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
go to the store where you got the SAS or call them to show them proof of purchase of only 3 days ago.
i am actually believing this is an anomaly with the pair you have received OR this store was selling rejects.
however, you should get a replacement for them if you talk to them and pursue it.

SAS is a good quality shoe and my folks wear them all the time and one single pair has lasted them over several years each time.

they walk daily and do alot of stuff in the garden and garage and so forth. and go on trips to places so it is not like they are not durable.

i wouldnt worry about the AEs as well. even seconds, you can walk in them virtually anywhere.

the 2 pairs i wear: Bradley and cameron (penny loafer) i have worn them extensively to office and elsewhere and really wore them hard. and under bad weather circumstances too .. and they have held up fortunately.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads