1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

shoe care supply checklist

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by aybojs, May 9, 2005.

1. blazingazn

blazingazn Well-Known Member

Hey my Topy on a few shoes is peeling off.

Can I use SHOE GOO to glue it back on?

EDIT: found out about something called Barge Cement. would that do the trick? is it safe to use?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  2. SamuelC

SamuelC New Member

I just signed up to this forum to thank you for that amazing post. Exactly the info I was looking for, heading over to Amazon to order the supplies you listed. Thanks so much.

-Sam

3. coffeecupman

coffeecupman Well-Known Member

Greetings all,

First post. Been lurking for a little while.

This thread is just what I needed, when I am just starting to get my first nice (for me) shoes.

I've bought two pairs of Ferragamo Parigis, and have some entry level Bruno Magli pieces.

I know that's small potatoes for the people on this forum, but they're right for the level I'm playing at and I'm really enjoying them.

Last night I bought shoe trees on the Jos A Bank buy one, get two free sale.

This week, before I get home from working offshore, I'll sort myself out with a bunch of Saphir products and will start practicing soon.

But the question I have is about caring for the suede stuff. The brass brush and rubber brush for nubuck have been mentioned for stain cleaning and preserving the texture of suede...

But what about the oils in the leather? Isn't suede subject to the same dehydration effects that other leathers are? Since you can't polish suede, what products do you use to keep it oiled/hydrated and how do you apply them?

I really want to keep these Parigis looking their best and in great condition for as long as I can.

Thanks,
    ccm

4. coffeecupman

For the benefit of others after me, I have found these things out:

Dealing with suede often is often summarized as "spray protectant on it and brush the nap when it's looking tired"

But there do exist some suede conditioning products specifically with nourishment in mind.

Ecco makes a "Nubuck and Suede Conditioner Daily Care" spray. Daily was probably more than I was thinking would be necessary,
    and I wasn't sure Ecco was trustworthy enough a brand.

http://www.eccousa.com/shoes/access...suede-conditioner-daily-care/1344/detail.aspx

I also found a company called Leather Magic. Apparently their entire business is based on conditioning leather. And they seem to
    have been around for a while, so OK. They have a Suede Conditioner that is pure conditioner.

http://store.leathermagic.com/nubucksuedeleatherconditioner.aspx

They also make cleaner - there's a bunch of cleaners on the market though. Still, they make one more interesting product for suede and nubuck: A UV guard:

http://store.leathermagic.com/uvprotectant.aspx

Particularly recommended for naked leathers like nubuck and suede. So there you are - now your shoes need sunblock. I ordered some of this.

In addition to the brass and rubber bristled brushes recommended, I also found this product geared towards scrubbing suede/nubuck:

http://www.shoeandfootcare.com/p/10...-nubuck-shoe-brush-krepp-exclusive-large.html

The above website was also a very good-value resource for horsehair polishing brushes etc for someone starting out like I am.

Remaining knowledge gap is that I can't seem to get anyone to commit to what the ideal products are for ostrich and elephant. They're fairly unique skins, and neither really fits under the banners of either calf based or reptile. Would love some experienced comments on that from someone.

hope this helps another noob like me.

ccm

5. goodlensboy

goodlensboy Well-Known Member

nice posts ccm and thanks for sharing useful info.

Does anyone know is crema alpina safe for croc?

6. coffeecupman

7. goodlensboy

Many thanks. I'll try to get my hands on saphir reptan

Btw I tried crema alpina on a small portion near the heal, and think it should work fine on croc (nothing mentioned on the label though except not suitable for suede and nubuck)

8. goodlensboy

Has anybody used Saphir Gel Polish which says

"Translucent cream recommended for the care of multicoloured, braided, pearly or metallised leather which resists penetration of classic polish. Its light formula favors the shiny instead of the nourishing waxes and protects from dirt."

Any feedback is welcome, am thinking to get it for one of my black shoes that I think is too smooth/shiny for normal waxes to penetrate into

9. brokemedstudent

brokemedstudent Member

What waterproofing spray do you guys recommend?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  10. DM66

DM66 Well-Known Member

Ditto. My head is spinning, too.

11. goodlensboy

I think Ron Rider's post is really excellent and very helpful on shoe care, and I personally hardly use any wax or cream polish after i got crema alpina

12. Liquidus

Liquidus Well-Known Member

Let's post in the Official Shoe Care Thread here instead of in this thread.

13. WOODOO51

WOODOO51 New Member

I was getting through some old shoe care posts and I found your question regarding GTA area with shoe care web around it.
    Try www.valentinogaremi.ca ,is based in Ontario and got some good stuff - majority Europe made items.
    Cheers

14. jb1987

jb1987 Active Member

accidental post

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016