• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shoe care supply checklist

45elkton

Reaction score
If I have chestnut and dark brown shoes, is it recommended to have a different brush for each?

gsgleason

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jbharris88
Anyone have first hand knowledge of Leather Honey Leather Conditioner?

Yes. It relaxes the leather a lot and alters the fit if you use too much. Be careful with it.

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some walnut Allen Edmonds, like a light tan brown color.

I want to make them darker.
can I achieve this by polishing with darker brown cream? or black polish even?

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blazingazn
I have some walnut Allen Edmonds, like a light tan brown color.

I want to make them darker.
can I achieve this by polishing with darker brown cream? or black polish even?

If I remember correctly I think a member did this and posted his results. Turned out really well as I remember.

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a related note if I buy a bunch of cream polishes in the glass containers and store them, will they ever dry out? I would say that I would have to store extras up to 3 years. This would be Meltonian.

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just experimented in darken my shoes. originally they were Walnut Allen Edmonds McAllisters. i normally use Meltonian Medium Brown. to darken them I used Meltonian Cordovan color cream polish. before treating/polish
1.JPG
creamed and drying
2.JPG
polished(with medium brown color)
3.JPG
polished with darkened coats (cordovan cream color)
4.JPG
comparison
5.JPG
i'm happy with the results and they look like new shoes. reason for this darkening was I wanted to wear my McAllisters with a Navy Suit, but they were too light. i didn't wanna drop money on new shoes so this is the alternative. Opinions?

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blazingazn
just experimented in darken my shoes... comparison
5.JPG
Opinions?

I think it looks great, especially if you were trying to darken the entire shoe. I have a pair of walnut AE's as well and while I like the color, I just want to darken the toe area, more like slightly antiquing than darkening the whole shoe. I'll give it a shot. I've had decent results using black polish on medium brown shoes but I'll give the cordovan/burgundy color as you've seemed to achieve great results. Anyway, nicely done.

primetimeseano

Reaction score
Any recommendations on the best place to buy shoe care products online? I just bought two new pairs of Allen Edmonds shoes and want to put together a basic kit.

primetimeseano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by primetimeseano
Any recommendations on the best place to buy shoe care products online? I just bought two new pairs of Allen Edmonds shoes and want to put together a basic kit.

Bump

poena

Reaction score
After reading this whole thread it is basically information overload.

I think i'm going to go with AE supplies for now, unless someone talks me out of it.
I've got some terry cloths or old tshirts I could use to apply the cleaners/polish.
So I am looking at these items.

Cleaner/Conditioner

Shoe Polish

Horse hair brush

Do I need a cream or wax also? What step is that? Is the Kiwi stuff in the little tins a wax?

Also what order does everything go on?

Thanks

billionaireboy

Reaction score
Does anyone know how long the Saphir Renovateur Cleaner and Conditioner last when stored properly? I'm hoping to stock up on a couple of bottles to take advantage of free shipping.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember that there's a site where one can get Saphir stuff with free shipping. Can someone remind me what that is?

Last edited:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I remember that there's a site where one can get Saphir stuff with free shipping. Can someone remind me what that is?

A Suitable Wardrobe. Link should be in the horror that is the right column.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads