• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shoe care supply checklist

Lendial

Reaction score
I currently only use kiwi polish but would it be wise to swap to meltonian cream instead? I'm really more interested in prolonging shoe life rather than a shiny finish. or perhaps use both somehow?

Boston Tweed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lendial
I currently only use kiwi polish but would it be wise to swap to meltonian cream instead? I'm really more interested in prolonging shoe life rather than a shiny finish. or perhaps use both somehow?

I use a mix of both Meltonian (or AE) cream and Kiwi wax...I tend to more or less alternate their use on any given pair of shoes. I've some shoes that have had this treatment are at least a decade old and have been through several resoles and they still look good. While this may not be the absolute optimal process, I think using either product (or any of the well known and recommended products on SF) should be adequate to insure a long, useful and good looking life for your shoes. Honestly, I only think the real differences show up after a LONG time, and unless you are really dealing with high end shoes I wouldn't sweat the difference.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use a leather cleaner to remove old wax, followed followed by a leather conditioner, followed by Kiwi wax. All buffed off with a horsehair brush.

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
getting no love as a individual thread so I though I'd post here for all you subscribers

What are your opinions of Moneysworth & Best Leather Care Products?
I've used them before no real complaints. Are they better or worst than most brands?

I want to get a shoe care kit, don't want to have to compile a bunch of stuff.

Basically looks like I'll need
Cleaner
Conditioner
Polish
Waterproofing (Wax, oil or spray)
Shine Brush x 2
Polish Applicator Brush x 2
Polish Cloth x 2

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blazingazn
What are your opinions of Moneysworth & Best Leather Care Products? I've used them before no real complaints. Are they better or worst than most brands?
No experience with them, but some cheaper brands use synthetic chemicals which do more damage in the long run (like those "instant shine" sponges.) If you want something reliable and easy to get, go for Allen Edmonds shoe care products. They're sold on allen edmonds website and pretty much anywhere that has allen edmonds shoes. I've used those for years and they're great.
Originally Posted by blazingazn
Basically looks like I'll need Cleaner Conditioner Polish Waterproofing (Wax, oil or spray) Shine Brush x 2 Polish Applicator Brush x 2 Polish Cloth x 2
Allen Edmonds does a 2 in one cleaner/conditioner, so you don't need those separately (just wipe the dust off with a damp cloth, rub this stuff in with a terry cloth) Skip the waterproofing crap. I've used these before and it just ruins the polish of the shoes. I use it for suede but never for leather. You don't want to wear any good pair of dress shoes in the pouring rain, regardless of whether you water-proofed them or not (get rubber overshoes.) If it's very light rain, any good shoe polish will have some wax content which will give it a very basic water resistance. Shine brushes are essential (get horsehair ones.) If you use allen edmonds shoe polish cream, the tubes actually have the applicator sponge right on the tube, so you can skip the applicator brush. For polish clothes, if you have a ton of old shoe storage bags lying around, you can just cut those into squares and they're perfect for polishing with. My shoecare kit basically consists of the following: -A bottle of AE leather conditioner -Some tubes of AE shoe polish -2 horsehair brushes -a few old cut up shoe bags It gets great results.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
No experience with them, but some cheaper brands use synthetic chemicals which do more damage in the long run (like those "instant shine" sponges.) If you want something reliable and easy to get, go for Allen Edmonds shoe care products. They're sold on allen edmonds website and pretty much anywhere that has allen edmonds shoes. I've used those for years and they're great. Allen Edmonds does a 2 in one cleaner/conditioner, so you don't need those separately (just wipe the dust off with a damp cloth, rub this stuff in with a terry cloth) Skip the waterproofing crap. I've used these before and it just ruins the polish of the shoes. I use it for suede but never for leather. You don't want to wear any good pair of dress shoes in the pouring rain, regardless of whether you water-proofed them or not (get rubber overshoes.) If it's very light rain, any good shoe polish will have some wax content which will give it a very basic water resistance. Shine brushes are essential (get horsehair ones.) If you use allen edmonds shoe polish cream, the tubes actually have the applicator sponge right on the tube, so you can skip the applicator brush. For polish clothes, if you have a ton of old shoe storage bags lying around, you can just cut those into squares and they're perfect for polishing with. My shoecare kit basically consists of the following: -A bottle of AE leather conditioner -Some tubes of AE shoe polish -2 horsehair brushes -a few old cut up shoe bags It gets great results.
Nice lesson. I wanted to buy a waterproof spray for soles. Is it a good idea? I only use conditioner, the same I use for leather car seats. I don´t like the tube cream or kiwi rounded metal one . It makes my shoes pasty and attract more dirt. I do well?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpallaCamiccia
Nice lesson.

I wanted to buy a waterproof spray for soles. Is it a good idea?

I only use conditioner, the same I use for leather car seats. I don´t like the tube cream or kiwi rounded metal one . It makes my shoes pasty and attract more dirt.

I do well?

I've honestly never thought about using waterproof spray for the soles of the shoes. I don't suppose it can hurt, but if you're walking through lots of puddles, I don't know how effective it will be. Although they call them "waterproof" sprays, in my experience they're more "water repellant". If it's a light rain and you get a few drops on your shoes, it rolls right off, but if it's alot of water, it will eventually soak through.

I've heard of other people using the car leather conditioner for shoes. At the end of the day, it's all dyed leather so it really shouldn't matter whether it says its made for hang bags, shoes, or car seats. As long as it gets good results, thats what matters most.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
I've honestly never thought about using waterproof spray for the soles of the shoes. I don't suppose it can hurt, but if you're walking through lots of puddles, I don't know how effective it will be. Although they call them "waterproof" sprays, in my experience they're more "water repellant". If it's a light rain and you get a few drops on your shoes, it rolls right off, but if it's alot of water, it will eventually soak through.

I've heard of other people using the car leather conditioner for shoes. At the end of the day, it's all dyed leather so it really shouldn't matter whether it says its made for hang bags, shoes, or car seats. As long as it gets good results, thats what matters most.

Yes you´re right, is " water repellant" Sorry for my basic English. It hardly never rains where I live but I want to avoid damaging the soles as most of the time the streets are very wet from the street cleaners.

Should I buy one spray ? It´s worth 6 euros

Swan Song

Reaction score
Is there anyone selling a cognac/tan edge dressing?

I find "brown" does not accent my lighter colored boots

cet2119

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Swan Song

Meltonian has cream in color cognac. You can use the cream for edge dressing.

bapelolol

Reaction score
For black shoes.. does it make a difference if I use black shoe cream or neutral shoe cream? Are there any benefits to using neutral over black shoe cream on black calfskin?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bapelolol
For black shoes.. does it make a difference if I use black shoe cream or neutral shoe cream? Are there any benefits to using neutral over black shoe cream on black calfskin?

Use black shoe creams and polishes on black shoes. Neutral tends to leave a whitish residue, and it won't restore any lost color or cover scuffs as well as black will. Remember that "patina" on black shoes is not usually the goal; the goal here is to keep them a deep and rich black.

andr3pwd

Reaction score
Great advice.

For convenience, how good/bad/indifferent are the polishes found a little more easily such as Kiwi or Johnston & Murphy's house brand? Running to an AE store is quite a hike.

Boston Tweed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Swan Song

AE sells one in a cognac/tan which I own, and it comes in a nice little bottle with a built in applicator that is fantastic. I think it costs ~$5, and I highly recommend it. Actually, I'd recommend you buy basically all of the colors, as they are great to have in your shoe kit, and if you are paying shipping once you might as well get your money's worth.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by andr3pwd
Great advice.

For convenience, how good/bad/indifferent are the polishes found a little more easily such as Kiwi or Johnston & Murphy's house brand? Running to an AE store is quite a hike.

Don't know J&M's house brand, but Kiwi is perfectly acceptable, as long as it's the proper tins and not those liquid shine things that dry out your leather.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads