• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Firstly applied Puredistance - M, but shortly after applying the weather changed a lot, so I scrubbed it off and applied TF - Grey Vetiver. Wasn't able to remove everything of M, so it was a mix of both fragrances. Not bad, but no improvement either.

How do you guys store your samples? I seriously need to think of something clever. ziplocks?

Puredistance M is expensive stuff; I'd be very hesitant to scrub it off!

For small samples--1-5 ml--I use little ziplock bags. For samples bigger than that, I just stand them upright on the shelves of my fragrance closet.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Puredistance M is expensive stuff; I'd be very hesitant to scrub it off!
For small samples--1-5 ml--I use little ziplock bags. For samples bigger than that, I just stand them upright on the shelves of my fragrance closet.

I got it cheapish. 1.5-2ml for 15€ ... I didn't think spraying would be a good idea (but I never tried it.. d'oh), so I tried to open the non-reusable atomizer and spilled half of the juice. Then I didn't want to close the bottle with the atomizer again, so I just fixated it (but forgot to seal it with some sort of tape), so like all the alcohol evaporated. Now I have a small amount left, and I only wore it a handful of times. :brick: But I probably said that once or twice before so far.
Anyhow, the amount I used today was prolly 1mm*1mm solid dried up juice that sticked to the scotch tape I sealed the bottle with.. so most likely it included some sort of bonding agent, too :p

Last edited:

tps16

Reaction score

Great choice. But, of course I'm baised... having the EdC, EdT, EdP, voile de parfume (non-alcohol version), triple milled savon soap, parfum, and extrait of no. 19. :lol:
At this time of year, you can't find a better scent than no. 19. I even have the no. 19 from the pre-Iranian 1979 revolution galbanum parfum of no. 19. You can tell the difference' I keep my secret stash in a wine cooler...

I'm jealous :)

Today, Cuir de Russie

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

How do you guys store your samples? I seriously need to think of something clever. ziplocks?

here's my decants and about half the samples in a toolbox... the rest are either in use or in bags to be used and sorted, then I've got a big ol' pile to give away/swapbox
img5102e.jpg

samples to be sorted
scaled.php

the makings of swap box #4
img5544x.jpg

Last edited:

CologneReview

Reaction score

here's my decants and about half the samples in a toolbox... the rest are either in use or in bags to be used and sorted, then I've got a big ol' pile to give away/swapbox
img5102e.jpg
samples to be sorted
scaled.php
the makings of swap box #4
img5544x.jpg

Amazing stuff, how do you continue to collect all these samples/decants?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Amazing stuff, how do you continue to collect all these samples/decants?

a number of sources. Whenever I travel, fragrance is a hobby so I hit up all the shops and collect samples. Then I have local fragrance people meetups and people often bring and leave stuff they don't want. Then there's things like the swap box where I give away stuff I don't like, or bought bottles of already and get a lot back in return. And lastly, now I work as a SA so whenever new stuff comes in I'm allowed to take a few for personal use.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The first step is admitting you have a problem. :)

I just hope M-C can maintain his strength of spirit as he struggles with this affliction.

I am wearing Datura Blanche by Keiko Mecheri for the first time today. (I've been on a datura kick lately.) This is absolutely gorgeous at the top. It's a big, heady tuberose scent complemented by a somewhat bitter almond. There's also something bright and shimmering at the top that makes it seem almost aldehydic. I have no idea what produces that effect, but it's wonderful. As it dries down, it becomes much sweeter, with a somewhat boozy Madagascar vanilla becoming especially prominent. This part is very nice, but it's also a bit pedestrian.

All the regulars here who love SL Datura Noir should definitely check this out. (That is a joke: I think nearly everyone here but me dislikes SL Datura Noir.)

CodPiece

Reaction score
Would you mind if I ride my trike across the runway as you guys jet out into the stratosphere? This is one of my favorite threads. I'm just a dad from a semi-rural state and most of my disposable income goes to schools and activities for the kids, so it's a slight challenge finding new scents. I do learn a great deal here, moreso than at Basenotes.

Wednesday: Another cold and rainy day, so I felt warm and boozy with Michael for Men (Michael Kors).
Yesterday: Needed to feel a bit more optimistic, so I brought in some sunshine with Un jardin en Mediterranee.
Today: Working from home. Broke out the Tom Ford Black Orchid. I haven't decided if I like this yet.

Last edited:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Would you mind if I ride my trike across the runway as you guys jet out into the stratosphere? This is one of my favorite threads. I'm just a dad from a semi-rural state and most of my disposable income goes to schools and activities for the kids, so it's a slight challenge finding new scents. I do learn a great deal here, moreso than at Basenotes.
Wednesday: Another cold and rainy day, so I felt warm and boozy with Michael for Men (Michael Kors).
Yesterday: Needed to feel a bit more optimistic, so I brought in some sunshine with Un jardin en Mediterranee.
Today: Working from home. Broke out the Tom Ford Black Orchid. I haven't decided if I like this yet.

Welcome! =)

SotD: Caron - Tabac Blond éxtrait. Good lasting power, great smell, decent price.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Welcome! You should get in on the next sample box that Master-Classter's working on.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Welcome! You should get in on the next sample box that Master-Classter's working on.

+1... and he also did a great job selecting three scents. Those three cover the "bases" very well... Hermes for daywear, Kors for evening wear (MK is a nice, masculine, slightly boozy scent that flies under the radar.) And, Tom Ford BO for a "fun" or off-kilter scent. Great choices!

Anyway, Eau de Dior today; another in my "eau" series... this one is fruitier and sweeter. NOT my favorite, but it turns interestingly bright as it heats up. Wouldn't invest in a bottle at anything near retail, but I received it long ago for next to nothing... so it's a good summer scent when you can't figure out what else to wear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads