• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

DeSense

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MFK APOM - and alas my sample is finished. This might be FB worthy. It's something that could well have been made by Chanel. Smooth, sophistcated, well-blended. Probably a bit boring for some.

Alocin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing Galaad by Lubin today.

A little lighter overall than I had expected but in a good way. A very warm, spicy and slightly sweet scent. I definitely get the cardamom, cypress, oud and possibly the honey, unless the sweetness I am picking up is from the oud. A nice scent for the fall/winter months

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Walked the mall yesterday and tested out 4 things (wrists and elbows).

Zadig and Voltaire This is Him. Some kind of pepper, juniper, rubbery thing. Actually quite nice, but was gone within an hour or two. 6/10

John Varvatos Oud. Actually really not bad at all! I've tested this a few times and quite like it. The bottle is a bit uncharacteristically tacky. Gold plastic over an otherwise nice glass. Performance issues again though. Not terrible, but not great. Fairly competent. 7/10.

Chanel Sycomore - do I even have to say anything? Smells great and I can still smell it clearly on my elbow the next day.

Dior Oud Ispahan - my first impression was that it might have changed over the years. Much sweeter. But the drydown is where it shines. Bloomed way above the other three and still smells great the next day. I had a bottle and sold it to someone who really wanted it locally since we couldn't get them and kept a decant. This is for sure on my FB to buy list though. A solid scent. Yes it's Rose and Oud, but it's amongst the best executed and performing ones I've worn.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today I am wearing Profumo's maceration of ambergris in sandalwood oil.

Alocin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I am wearing The Orchid Man by Frapin.

My first time trying this and I love it already, has a very similar opening to Sunday Cologne by Byredo which is one of my favorites.

Orchid Man is opens very bright with bergamot and black pepper and dries down nicely into a much lighter leather and jasmine with a little amber. I havent gotten any oakmoss or patchouli yet but I will wait and see.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This evening I am by myself and wearing vintage Coco extrait. Beautiful cloves and rose.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

MFK APOM - and alas my sample is finished. This might be FB worthy. It's something that could well have been made by Chanel. Smooth, sophistcated, well-blended. Probably a bit boring for some.

This is a common criticism of MFK. I'm convinced that he created Absolue Pour Le Soir (which I regard as a masterpiece, although it sells very poorly) to show everybody he could create a big, in-your-face stinker if he wanted to. I happen to love MFK because I want to smell nice. I don't particularly care to smell like a wet dog taking a **** outside a brewery that's on fire.

Alocin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing Castile by Penhaligon's.

I do not like this scent for me at all. It reminds me of my overly perfumed Aunt. I also think it is funny in the description they mention Mediterranean Nights because she is Middle Eastern.

This scent is far too heavy on the neroli for me, and then the citrus and rose come through just as powerfully. This would be ok if it were possibly a room scent but I hate it on my skin.

You cant win them all.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a common criticism of MFK. I'm convinced that he created Absolue Pour Le Soir (which I regard as a masterpiece, although it sells very poorly) to show everybody he could create a big, in-your-face stinker if he wanted to. I happen to love MFK because I want to smell nice. I don't particularly care to smell like a wet dog taking a **** outside a brewery that's on fire.
YMMV, to me MFK's scents - at least EDPs - are too strong to be merely "nice". They last forever, project like there's no tomorrow and for synthetics make a reasonable approximation of whatever notes are supposed to be in there.

This makes them a good choice (for me) for hot days with a lot of walking, since they'll survive (unlike say anything by AbdesSalaam) but I still prefer something subtler like earlier Hermes.

To make a CM analogy, MFK is like a Cifonelli or Rubinacci navy suit. On the surface, it looks classic, but the cut, the sheen of the cloth that will have been chosen, the details will tell another story. This is what makes MFK a true, independent perfumer with his own voice but as I'm a boring classicist I end up rarely wearing his work just as I tend to default to my boring British suits, even whilst browsing insta-shots and "what you wear today" posts doing something else.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
SOTD is Tom Ford Arabian Wood. Quite bitter green, waxy, and floral. It's interesting and well composed. Somewhat simple but still, a good solid scent. I personally don't care much for florals or green scents and I used to hate this, just the smell personally mind you, not the composition. I still can't say I like it but I'm wearing my sample a few times and it's tolerable. No doubt there are many out there who like it.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ I've always been a big fan of Arabian Wood. I find that it opens sharply green and waxy, but that gives way within 15 minutes or so to a lovely mossy rose.

Today I'm wearing MFK Oud, which is a very sweet, saffrony oud.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the topic of MFK, wore Aqua Universalis Forte today. Anything similar on the market that won't break my budget nearly as much? Love the jasmine scent.

sebastian mcfox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore Skive by J Hannah for Canoe - I don't get much of the leather but a whole heap of gorgeous, dusty, smokey wood. It's less intense than it's Naomi Goodsir parallel and for me this subtlety makes it a superior fragrance.

Easily now in my top ten of all time. If only they sold bigger bottles...

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads