• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jbidwal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Get them. The nut suede colorway and finish is very unique and most people will have the cigars anyways. Its also a nice boot to add to your collection. When all else fails, just sell them.

I like the nut too. The rough suede works well for the type of boot it is. Wearing mine today actually after a rainy winter

Jbidwal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BlackChiney8

Reaction score
Hey guys.
biggrin.gif
Pretty happy and excited since my Hedi 30 Chelseas in black suede just came in. The pair was in pristine brand new condition but the only thing I could slightly nit pick on is that the soles show wear like they were tried on in the store. There's scratching and fine chip/ pebble marks on the sole. Otherwise, the suede and construction of the boots look great. I'm not really angry or upset about the sole having scrapes and indentations from being tried on as this isn't a huge issue. I've also tried on pairs in the SLP store and walked around on the tile floors so I can guarantee that those pairs have the same markings as well.

I'm kind of OCD about my purchases and obviously would have preferred a completely pristine pair but like I said, I'm happy enough about getting a $900 pair of boots for $320. I also plan to topy/vibram the soles regardless and that's a part of the game with leather soles. Literally the minute you walk in them outside, the bottom will show wear...

Here are some pics,

Last edited:

Death24xASecond

Reaction score
^ Looks great! I have the 60mm Chelseas in black calf, but you definitely got a nice deal at that price (I got mine for $500 in BNWT condition, which I thought was decent-ish). Yeah definitely topy them. I get that leather soles are supposed to wear and all but hell, if I can protect my leather-sole footwear quite a bit for very little expense, why not. :)

BlackChiney8

Reaction score
^ Looks great! I have the 60mm Chelseas in black calf, but you definitely got a nice deal at that price (I got mine for $500 in BNWT condition, which I thought was decent-ish). Yeah definitely topy them. I get that leather soles are supposed to wear and all but hell, if I can protect my leather-sole footwear quite a bit for very little expense, why not. :)

Thanks man. $500 for a pair of the black calf Chelseas is an insane deal as well. I definitely am going to topy them for both protection and better traction as well. I understand that it's not like stores have stock just for trying on etc (other than the pairs out on display and usually just one foot), but a person who is paying full price and buying a pair for $900, I can't say I would be impressed if I was given a pair that had pre marking and scrapes from someone walking around in the store in them. Like I said, it's nothing to pull hair out over but it should have been indicated somehow that this pair was being shipped from a store and was possibly a display model. I can at least say that the upper doesn't really show any damage at all and just the sole...

I've bought boots and shoes before with bold messages both on the box and on the receipt that if you're considering returning them even in the slightest, they should be tried on only on carpet so the sole doesn't get dirtied or scraped up (obviously so they can sell them as new again if returned).

Last edited:

Jbidwal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are good for $320. Could have been a lot worse and they still would be a steal. The first time you wear them they will look much worse. I wouldn't worry about a thing.

BlackChiney8

Reaction score
Those are good for $320. Could have been a lot worse and they still would be a steal. The first time you wear them they will look much worse. I wouldn't worry about a thing.

I agree @Jbidwal . You're definitely right. It's pointless to be bothered by something so minuscule. Sometimes I can be stupid for sure though and dumb things like that bother me when they shouldn't lmao. From browsing this thread as well, there are so many who are purposefully wanting to beat up their pairs and would never topy the sold because a lot consider it to be a part of the experience of owning leather soled shoes is to allow them to be worn down and can be repaired far down the line. A cobbler will usually have to sand down the entire sole anyways as well before applying a topy.

What's the majority in here do for their SLP boots though? Do all of you topy your soles or just leave them as is?

Last edited:

echau

Reaction score
I vibram my shoes once the leather sole is worn down to the stitching since that's about what they sand it down to anyways. That said, I've only had to do it once--I have enough shoes in my rotation.

Death24xASecond

Reaction score
Generally speaking, for me it's really not about "these shoes are $1200 so I'll topy them, but those shoes are $200 so screw that" or even about having 50 pairs in rotation. It's more a matter of convenience for me. I find leather soles fragile and I live in the Northeast, so I have to deal with salt on roads and sidewalks several months out of the year. Also I walk a lot. Topy just helps a bit with traction and protection. Sure it won't magically double the life of the footwear but you know, little stuff. Leather Spa in NYC is really nice and does a fine job with the topy that doesn't detract at all from the slim profile we all love. I've got topy on everything (and heel taps on the more worn pairs) except sneakers/boat shoes/loafers.

scanner

Reaction score
Hey guys.
biggrin.gif
Pretty happy and excited since my Hedi 30 Chelseas in black suede just came in. The pair was in pristine brand new condition but the only thing I could slightly nit pick on is that the soles show wear like they were tried on in the store. There's scratching and fine chip/ pebble marks on the sole. Otherwise, the suede and construction of the boots look great. I'm not really angry or upset about the sole having scrapes and indentations from being tried on as this isn't a huge issue. I've also tried on pairs in the SLP store and walked around on the tile floors so I can guarantee that those pairs have the same markings as well.

I'm kind of OCD about my purchases and obviously would have preferred a completely pristine pair but like I said, I'm happy enough about getting a $900 pair of boots for $320. I also plan to topy/vibram the soles regardless and that's a part of the game with leather soles. Literally the minute you walk in them outside, the bottom will show wear...

Here are some pics,

You're the Loafer Shoe Play guy aren't you?

Jbidwal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree @Jbidwal
. You're definitely right. It's pointless to be bothered by something so minuscule. Sometimes I can be stupid for sure though and dumb things like that bother me when they shouldn't lmao. From browsing this thread as well, there are so many who are purposefully wanting to beat up their pairs and would never topy the sold because a lot consider it to be a part of the experience of owning leather soled shoes is to allow them to be worn down and can be repaired far down the line. A cobbler will usually have to sand down the entire sole anyways as well before applying a topy.

What's the majority in here do for their SLP boots though? Do all of you topy your soles or just leave them as is?

I don't wear my boots that often where I would benefit from the topy. I kind of like the leather feel on warm pavement. Only downside is you can't wear them when it's wet outside. It hasnt een an issue for me until this year. We got so much rain that I haven't really worn them all winter.

Last edited:

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I vibram my shoes once the leather sole is worn down to the stitching since that's about what they sand it down to anyways. That said, I've only had to do it once--I have enough shoes in my rotation.

What kind of vibram sole do you apply to them?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads