• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saddleback v. M&W Traveler

dalej

Reaction score
I hate to say that I have just sat here on Christmas day and read every post in this thread and have made the decision to purchase the Saddleback bag in the near future.
Thank you for both the entrainment and the information to make my decision.

ridders

Reaction score
Done-

Bid on and won a Large Dark Coffee Brown via the Saddleback ebay store last night. I hope it's not tooooooo big but given the size of the bag i've been using for years, I think I should be alright. I can't wait. Merry Christmas to me.

Thanks for all the information everyone.

ShirazAddict

Reaction score
FWIW I own the Saddleback Messenger bag & I love it. I didn't like their briefcase, nor their laptop case as they seemed a bit too rustic & western for me. I primarily use my Messenger bag as a wine case, as I am in the wine biz, and it works really well. I also can put my laptop in it w/o any problems & use it for day trips on biz. Its well built, and I like the heft & utilitarianism of the bag.

IndianaGeo

Reaction score
Have you considered Custom Hide? I hear they make great bags at a reasonble price point. They have a number of styles that might fit what you're looking for. I bought into the Saddleback hype a while back. Bought 2 bags, Both had defects, one of which was super obviously a defect in workmanship. I harped about it and got nowhere. I also don't like their self-hype and all around arrogance and religious self-righteousness.

Also if you want a fantastic bag, I understand the workmanship of a Walden bag is excellent. The guy is a craftsman. Swaine Adeney Brigg in the UK is another option but super expensive. Best of luck.

ridders

Reaction score
Thanks again for everyone’s advice on this thread and the forums in general. The day after christmas I bid on, and won an auction for a large Dark Coffee Brown briefcase. With the New Years holiday and all, I received it the around January 6th or so and have been using it as my daily commuter ever since. It’s an incredible bag.

I’ll back up everyone’s previous comments about the weight of the bag, it is heavy but not cumbersome. I’m not a very tall guy (5’7) so perhaps the large was more bag than i should have purchased, but looking at the pictures I could find of the med, I was not happy with proportions--the bag just looked too tall for the length. I’d say that’s still the case with the large. If I could magically have a custom Saddleback bag, it’d be about 2 inches shorter but still 16 inches long.

If Saddleback has had quality control issues in the past, they’ve certainly solved them now. While I have never owned a leather bag is this sort before, the craftsmanship on the bag is evident. The leather is just incredible. I have the 3 rivet middle strap version and I think it looks great--the symmetry of the 3 straps and 3 rivets looks pleasing to me.

I’m coming from a Jack Spade messenger bag, so to have a real briefcase is a bit of a transition-this bag wants to be held (err using the handle, not hugged...well maybe a little bit) the balance when loaded is perfect. As a wee little man, I’m having trouble getting the shoulder strap right where I want it in both “shoulder” and “messenger” mode. Even on the smallest setting, the bag hangs about 3 inches too low for my liking. I’m temped to put some more holes in the strap (any suggestions on how to do this? power drill?). A side effect is that i also have about a foot of shoulder strap flopping around past the buckle. I’m currently trying to get it to loop back through the rest of the strap.

The color of the leather is rich and wonderful, it’s starting to loosen up and scrape very nicely. I knew that Coffee would show use more easily than the other colors and I’m happy about it. I’m sort of anticipating when the bag overall starts to loosen up-though i’m wary of the “floppy bag” complaints I’ve read on various sites. I suppose it will happen either way so there’s not much use in dreading it.

Finally, while i’m not a particularly religious person, i’m starting to believe in karma-I was pretty proud of the deal i pulled off with auction vs purchasing retail via the website: I’ve since lost a $100 pair of head phones out of the external side “pocket” and an umbrella trying to pull off the cool “umbrella under the straps” look. Moral of the story: keep your stuff inside the bag.

sorry for the long winded reply: net net it's a great bag and i can't wait to grow old with it, well unless Saddleback does really release a more "professional" model, but until then....

ridders

Reaction score
Wow what a difference a year makes... pretty much right after I recieved my SBL Classic, I was given new responsibilities within my job that put me on the road more. I'm no road warrior by any stretch, but over the last 8 or 9 months I have stated to realize that perhaps the Saddleback is not the right bag for me.

The tipping point was when a gate attendant gave me the evil eye as I walked past the gate check bracket on a packed flight back east from SFO.

I have had no problems with the quality and design of the bag, I've hauled some pretty weird stuff in it comfortably-- but it's just not meeting my needs right now. Oddly enough I've extremely tempted by the MW steerhide laptop brief. Has anyone gotten their hands on one?

Also anyone intrested in a 14month old, just starting to break in nicely, Large Classic Dark Coffee Brown Classic SBL let me know.

countcount

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ridders
when a gate attendant gave me the evil eye as I walked past the gate check bracket on a packed flight back east from SFO.

What prompted this? the size?

ridders

Reaction score
yes, I had it pretty stuffed, I have to admit- plus it was a very crowded flight with tons of people with rollerboards. I was able to get it under the seat, so it wasn't an issue. It's somewhat amusing though- with my 20 inch travel pro suitcase it's almost the same size as the SBL!

to be clear it's never been a real issue- but something about the situation made me rethink the bag as well as my packing habits...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads