• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sinthome

Reaction score
Away from the world of water-repellency (though now I think about it, not half bad in that respect) here is the SB jacket in sheep-flavour tropical worsted. We've made this jacket once before, and on reflection I'm not sure why we haven't made it more often since, because it is so far up my street it might as well be sat in my kitchen making itself a cuppa.

Wonderful cloth.

View attachment 2136567

We will be making trousers in the same cloth in a few weeks.

We'll also be making the SB jacket in linen, as well as with matching trousers, once spring gets underway.
Welp, the medium went out of stock fast. Early bird and so on, I suppose.

I guess I'll need to convince myself that a single breasted linen jacket is a necessity, whilst living in the damp wintry forests of Scandinavia. I can always make myself a negroni to go along with it.

Spinster Jones

Reaction score
I've actually managed to wear down the balmacaan. Right beneath the belt-line. I thought it was indestructible, but here we are, man won over coat. Just three years of winter wear.

Tailor it? Darn it? Reknit it myself? Any tips?

Attachments

• 428332194_1507934533100215_3059831645329353342_n.jpg
    428332194_1507934533100215_3059831645329353342_n.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 338
  • 428509834_2354096204760913_5955770450963834409_n.jpg
    428509834_2354096204760913_5955770450963834409_n.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 336

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Welp, the medium went out of stock fast. Early bird and so on, I suppose.

I guess I'll need to convince myself that a single breasted linen jacket is a necessity, whilst living in the damp wintry forests of Scandinavia. I can always make myself a negroni to go along with it.

We do have one in stock: another customer purchased two by mistake, so one has just gone back into stock.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I've actually managed to wear down the balmacaan. Right beneath the belt-line. I thought it was indestructible, but here we are, man won over coat. Just three years of winter wear.

Ack!

Not an easy one to repair, that. If you are prepared to invest in the repair, one option is "invisible mending" which would give the best result in terms of appearance. It is effectively reweaving that part of the cloth in situ.

Otherwise, there is darning, patching, or felting.

You could show it to a tailor to see if they have any creative ideas to hide the hole, but I can't think of any unless you are prepared to shorten the body.

Csus2

Reaction score
seems the xs of the rain coat in sand sold out almost immediately, which is a drag. I’ve kinda been hankering for a rain coat that didn’t quite announce itself quite as much as the trench (which, tbc, I do love).

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
seems the xs of the rain coat in sand sold out almost immediately, which is a drag. I’ve kinda been hankering for a rain coat that didn’t quite announce itself quite as much as the trench (which, tbc, I do love).

It will come around again, likely in the same colour of a darker shade, within the next 6-9 months, all being well.

booroo

Reaction score

How does this even happen in such a spot? "Below the belt line" - does this mean it's from friction when tightening the belt?

I'm sorry to see that. I hope you manage to get it suitably repaired somehow.

exsence

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification! One more question -- is the fishing jacket more of a thin shell kind of jacket (I read it uses 6 oz, so seems to be on the lightweight side) or does it have multiple layers of cloth at any given point on the jacket that gives it a thicker feel?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
It's a very robust jacket as far as cotton jackets go. Like all our jackets it has a full front facing of the outer cloth, so that's two layers all across the front and at least half the flank.

Then you have the pockets which span all the way around the abdomen, adding another layer.

There are also two additional layers at the shoulders for rain protection.

And then it is also fully lined.

I've grown used to our jackets over the years, but at a glance compared to how most cotton jackets of this ilk are made and structured, it is substantial.

Spinster Jones

Reaction score
How does this even happen in such a spot? "Below the belt line" - does this mean it's from friction when tightening the belt?

I'm sorry to see that. I hope you manage to get it suitably repaired somehow.

Rubbing against the rear end?

The rest of the coat is perfectly fine, and still looks like a tight duff. It's the thinner bottom layer that succumbed to the cheeks.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xlagane