• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
There was a gap in the clouds yesterday so I took the chance to photograph the latest prototype of the British Warm.

It's a double-breasted overcoat, which deviates from the British Warm / officers coats of tradition by having no epaulettes but rather a saddle shoulder -- much in the same way as our greatcoat, echoing what should be there but isn't. It also means you get a nice soft shoulder and an overall less sententious profile.

british-warm-sample-stand-2@2x.jpg
british-warm-sample-stand-1@2x.jpg

happydayz1

Reaction score
Looks very nice. Does the saddle shoulder accommodate a broader shoulder, much like a raglan? Have you decided on length yet?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Looks very nice. Does the saddle shoulder accommodate a broader shoulder, much like a raglan? Have you decided on length yet?

It'll end up about the same length as the Chesterfield (44 inches) -- maybe slightly longer.

The saddle shoulder does tend to accommodate more shapes of shoulder, yes -- whether broad or slim or sloping. It's a variation on a raglan in essence!

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Good morning Paul.

The British Warm is looking very interesting. Is the Chesterfield set to return later this year? Perhaps in a tweed..?

Not this year, no, and if it does reappear one day it's more likely to stick in its niche of smart heavy overcoating (though never say never of course).

Robinmack

Reaction score
Ah well it’s good to know what to expect! I’m trying to work out which of your offerings would be best as a beat-all-winter long coat. I’d like it to go to knee level and i am 6’ 1” and i do like a bit of tweed.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Ah well it’s good to know what to expect! I’m trying to work out which of your offerings would be best as a beat-all-winter long coat. I’d like it to go to knee level and i am 6’ 1” and i do like a bit of tweed.

Gotcha!

Both the Ulster and balmacaan are coming back later this year in heavily textured tweed. The chap in the photograph here is your height so you can see at least how the Ulster would fare.

ulster-coat-herdwick-tweed-light-sheep-worn-1@2x.jpg

epsilon22

Reaction score
@sehkelly Hello! I'm thinking of getting the raincoat to wear over a suit or a sport coat during the warmer months. Are the sleeves roomy enough to accommodate a jacket underneath?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@sehkelly Hello! I'm thinking of getting the raincoat to wear over a suit or a sport coat during the warmer months. Are the sleeves roomy enough to accommodate a jacket underneath?

It depends on the jacket — what it is made from and how it is structured.

I'd say a lightweight worsted suit jacket would be fine, but something bulkier (a woollen or cotton) might be a struggle, and sizing up would be advisable. Of course, it also depends on your preferences for fit and feel — if you are keen on something easy and relaxed, then again, sizing up seems sensible. I can wear a shirt and worsted SB jacket underneath the raincoat, all in the same size, but the raincoat in one size larger feels better. Of course, the flipside of this is that the raincoat is a little too roomy the rest of the time (which for me is most of the time) and so I stick with my regular size.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
In shirt news, we've finished some shirts in cotton needlecord with a revamped button-down collar.

The collar is cut to have the pleasing roll of an old-school button-down at the front, but with the sides sitting very neat and precise.

shirt-button-down-bd-needlecord-barley-4@2x.jpg

We've made them in black, rust, and this barley / biscuit colour.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads