• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Running

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Could you name some? People always tell me lightweights, but I don't want to add any bulk at all, just keep the love handles in check.

Biking. Swimming.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I have very simple goals:

1) Don't die young.

2) Don't get fat.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could you name some? People always tell me lightweights, but I don't want to add any bulk at all, just keep the love handles in check.

Want to lose fat - get your diet in check. There, done. Adding bulk is controlled by your diet also, so just b/c you lift doesn't mean you'll gain anything as many a poast on this subforum will reveal.

And to the OP, if you're just interested in keeping up your conditioning, pick some activity you like and do that - if you hate running, then don't do it. For simple GPP and cardio work, there is a multitude of choice as many have already noted. Judging by your goals, the regimen you're on now should take care of #1 and #2 is mostly a matter of having a decent diet.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoMediaMan
Biking.
Noooooooo. I love to ride my bikes more than anything and have ridden close to 50,000 miles in the last decade. There is no chance that cycling is as effective as keeping the weight off as running is. For one, it isn't weight-bearing and for two, it burns about 25% fewer calories per hour at equivalent efforts.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There's a lot of debate on this, but the best way to tone your body, increase metabolism and approve appearance is to weight train. To keep love handles in check, you need to lower your body fat levels, improve toning, and raise your metabolism.

Because you're a beginner, full body workouts 3x a week in a circuit would do wonders for you. Elevated heart rates, increasing strength and gaining a bit of mass (which I can assure you you probably need, after losing 100lbs.) Spend some money on a great trainer, that's the best advice I can give. You can buy books and all of that but just get someone knowledgeable to show you.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I have very simple goals:

1) Don't die young.

2) Don't get fat.

I'd just circuit train then. You can accomplish all your goals with a good weight training program 3 times a week. Walk the rest of the days. It's all you need to do and you'll look better naked. It's also good for your bone health. Maybe you can do yoga in your off days to work on flexibility. Old people get ****** posture and become very stiff.

I'm sorry but most people that strictly do running look like ****. I remember at my thinnest I looked ok but because all I did was mostly running (and some swimming) I looked much worse than I do now with like 15lbs of more muscle on me. I didn't get much bigger really, I just "recomposed" my body.

East2West

Reaction score
If you do decide to run, start off slow(an easy pace for you) and short distances to let your joints adjust to the new motion and impact - as others have stated previously.
I run quite a bit. If some day I feel bored with a steady-state loop, I'll change to a HIIT out-and-back. (Sprint to a few telephone poles or some other marker then jog for a bit then sprint a bit). Its a good way, for me, to avoid the feeling of monotony that running can sometimes bring.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I love running. But, it took me awhile to love it.

Try to find a soft footpath (vs. concrete) with some nice views. It can be very meditative esp. if you hit 'the zone'. It can also be a boring, grueling slog.

And +1 to getting fitted with the right shoes for your gait.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

shawmutt

Reaction score
Couch to 5K graduate here. When my body was so out of shape I couldn't take it anymore, I decided to set some goals for myself based on military boot camp. The goals were: 30 push-ups in one set, 45 sit-ups in one set, 3 pull-ups in one set, a 5K run in less than 29 minutes, and a body weight of 181 or less. The push-ups and sit-ups took a little work but I got there, pull-ups took a little more work.

For the running part I followed this couch to 5K program: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml. I went to a local running store and got fitted for shoes--my flat wide feet weren't really made for running. I ran my first 5K last December and got 33:06. My second 5K was a couple weeks ago and I beat my goal--28:26. All that's left is that pesky 15 lbs. I'm working on, but by trying to reach my goals the weight comes off slowly but surely.

I wouldn't say I love running and training for races. It's like anything else, nobody likes to do the grunt work but everybody wants the results. I plan on running two 5Ks a year to give me motivation to maintain a sub-29 minute time, but have no desire to run any farther. I am looking into offroad triathlons like xterraand "adventure" races like the Warrior Dash. My 5K in October is a Zombie Race.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hate running, but I run at 5 km at least once a week. good luck with it, M.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I hate running, but I run at 5 km at least once a week. good luck with it, M.

I dunno, at this point I think I have been talked out of it.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I don't think it's something you should be talked into or out of; just go try it and see if you end up enjoying it. If not, then stop. All you have to lose is a trip to the running store and ~$100.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I dunno, at this point I think I have been talked out of it.

Noooo!
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads