• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rosetta Stone Language software?

Unbreakable

Reaction score
Anyone ever use the Rosetta Stone language learning software? I'm itching to learn Japanese.

MrBon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Unbreakable
Anyone ever use the Rosetta Stone language learning software? I'm itching to learn Japanese.

No, but i know someone who works at a store and off the record believes it works great for a self learning course.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have.

Rosetta Stone is like a self paced language 101 and maybe 102 class. You pick up some basic vocab, some basic grammar, some pronunciation (probably the best aspect), some low level listening comprehension, etc. e.g. use Rosetta Stone as a first step, but don't expect it to get you very far.

There are four aspects to learning a language: listening, reading, writing, and speaking. Rosetta Stone tries to cover all four, but each of those skills is difficult and needs lots of practice.

Add in a newspaper each day, some television or radio each day, and find a native speaker to practice speaking. Get a good dictionary, and a good book on grammar (possibly also a good book on English grammar as well if you don't know, you'll end up wanting to know it), and you should be set. I'd also suggest looking for slang or street dictionaries too. Each language has phrases and things that make no sense when you translate them literally, but after an explanation, make perfect sense.

double

Reaction score
I've used Rosetta Stone before as well and I did not like it at all. I remember in each section there would be four pictures, the speaker would tell you the words for each but it does not actually explain anything, it was a rather dry method of learning for such a huge cost. I'd definitely recommend you this textbook here http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Every...8307009&sr=8-1 it's an excellent textbook which is crammed with lesson notes and grammar. Or else this textbook although it's a bit more expensive. http://www.amazon.com/Genki-Integrat...8307075&sr=1-1 All the best!

Unbreakable

Reaction score
thanks for the replies and info everyone.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
It's great. I've done 3 levels of French and 2 of Spanish. It helps your reading skills remarkably quick. Your listening skills will depend on how many voices you hear so you can learn to pick up subtleties of the pronunciation. I think the newest versions use more voices than the earlier ones. In terms of speaking, it's not very good unless you use the microphone, which I didn't. My advice is to do all the levels and gain an intuitive understanding of how the language works and then dive into a more formal training program like a book on grammar to help you learn to write and create your own sentences. As you go through it, you'll only vaguely know the rules of conjugation, declensions, order etc. You'll need a stricter guide to tell you exactly what you're reading and how to write it before you can do it yourself. It's also really simple and not too cerebral. It's more pleasant than diving into a textbook. I would also recommend getting a Japanese dictionary to keep beside you if you get confused on a word. Don't just click through without knowing why something is the correct answer.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My understanding is that it's quite good for vocab because it's visual. I haven't used it though.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My white friend started learning Vietnamese and I am very impressed at how much he's picked up after 1 disc of the first level. Granted, his speaking abilities isn't that great, but he's learned and retained a lot of vocabulary and can write it pretty well.

He doesn't know any other languages, and considering Vietnamese is a tonal language, he can't be expected to learn how to actually speak it in such short time.

However, my understanding of it is that you will learn how to speak the language like a square. You won't really learn any of the colloquialisms and so your understanding of the true spoken language may not be what you're expecting.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheessus
speaking abilities isn't that great

for irony.

Originally Posted by cheessus
However, my understanding of it is that you will learn how to speak the language like a square. You won't really learn any of the colloquialisms and so your understanding of the true spoken language may not be what you're expecting.

but this is very true. A big task in learning a new language is learning how people actually speak it, and this can only be learned by interacting with people while speaking the language. The Rosetta Stone software will help you with the necessary building blocks needed to have a basic understanding, but after that you should surround yourself with people speaking the language to fully master it.

baseball_guy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Unbreakable

I would take a class at the college or university. Japanese is like learning two languages.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Waste of money. Might work okay in a pinch for European languages that use the same alphabet as we do.

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Software costs money?
devil.gif

Anyway, i've used it some, and I would agree with the statements that it is best for learning vocabulary. I would say if you are going to get it, don't expect that to be your only materials, you are going to need a few different learning sources to maximize efficiency and depth (as i'm sure you assumed anyway).

Unbreakable

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gravitas
Software costs money?
devil.gif

Anyway, i've used it some, and I would agree with the statements that it is best for learning vocabulary. I would say if you are going to get it, don't expect that to be your only materials, you are going to need a few different learning sources to maximize efficiency and depth (as i'm sure you assumed anyway).

sadly I cant find them online anywhere
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads