• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Romance

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
because I feel like we are on the verge of another MS lovelife thread with all the potential of his foray into internet dating.

Unlikely. The online dating thread held a lowest-common-denominator appeal to the masses, much like the Springer show. I don't have too many interesting thoughts on the topic at hand so I expect it won't be nearly as effective in getting people interested or riled up. I am expecting:

- 10% serious, thought-provoking replies
- 60% passive-aggressive jokes implicitly mocking the fact that I am starting a thread on romance
- 30% insipid romance vignettes and trite dating advice

I guess I am posting for that 10%. We'll see how on the money I am with my predictions.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
because I feel like we are on the verge of another MS lovelife thread with all the potential of his foray into internet dating.
Actually, I was waiting for the hoards of young, inexperienced poasters, quoting the textbook romantic advice they dutifully copied out of the pages of Maxim magazine. Then again, I could be unusually bitter and cynical today.
Originally Posted by Manton
Romance and alpha are like matter and anti-matter.
That sound you hear is hammer hitting nail on the head.
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Not interested in romantic advice. More interested in how other SFers feel about romance and how they've used it in their lives. Flowers are one thing (effective if not creative) but I'm sure there are some more creative/meaningful examples out there. I expect that many examples of romance are only romantic given the unique situation of a given relationship. Perhaps these are the most romantic moments as they cannot be copied or mass-produced with the same effect.
Very perceptive. Different people have different romantic triggers, and I think it relates to the four languages of love (Dear God smite me now for admitting to knowing this) - words, deeds, time, and God help me I can't remember the fourth. (oops, it's five. Words, service, touch, gifts, time).

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^ so, anyway, if you want to be romantic and have it matter...know which language your partner values, and go in that direction.

Okay, I can tell you how I know this. It was in a Toastmasters speech given by a friend of mine. She's a sweet, intelligent, down-to-earth, and quite pretty young lady (no pics are forthcoming) who examined her own relationship with her (burly but charming) sheriff's deputy husband.

So, there's my contribution to your expected 10% and I hope I didn't **** up your thread too badly Metro.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So what did she say in that speech, T-bone?

I wonder - can romance be realistic or does it purely reside in the realm of idealism? I am an idealist at heart which is why the topic is starting to fascinate me more and more. For a long time I thought romance was for fools but then I realized that a relationship or affair without romance is like life without music. It does the trick, but there is a lot being missed out on. I also hated romance films for a long time (and still do most of them) until I realized that my favorite director (Wong Kar Wai) was basically the epitome of a great director of modern un-sappy romance films. Thank God for foreign cinema. But I digress.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Well, this was a few years back, but she talked about her and her hubs being in love, but not quite in sync. And, like any self-respecting woman would do, she asked around and a friend recommended this book - That was more or less the opening portion. The body of the speech was informational: each of the five languages and what they entailed, and how to gauge what category a person most valued (hint: they ask for it). At the end she talked about how she was category A but he was category C, and they talked and compromised so that he tries to do the 'A' type things and she tries to do the 'C' type things. As for Chez T-bone, the Mrs. is a 'quality time' sort of person, which tends to involve television - and that's a shiv between the ribs to be because I really really dislike television and always finds better things to do (which makes me a 'service type, I suppose), which is how I more or less sabotage the marriage. Things were better for us when Gilmore Girls was on.
frown.gif
I could at least tolerate that. And, the natural question is: does watching Gilmore Girls constitute romance? Well, for her, it does.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Not interested in romantic advice. More interested in how other SFers feel about romance and how they've used it in their lives. Flowers are one thing (effective if not creative) but I'm sure there are some more creative/meaningful examples out there. I expect that many examples of romance are only romantic given the unique situation of a given relationship. Perhaps these are the most romantic moments as they cannot be copied or mass-produced with the same effect.

I'm impressed because you are on the correct path.

"Romance" is not about corny and trite gestures. "Romance" is not something that happens between strangers (much to the chagrin of bodice rippers everywhere.) Romance is created through simple yet meaningful gestures between people that know each other well. It is about showing that you are paying attention to the wants, needs, preferences and desires of the person you are with.

If you're paying attention, and not asleep at the wheel in your relationship, romance is pretty easy.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
you spelled "anal" wrong.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
That Lorelei must have invigorated many a marriage.

Wouldn't it just be too perfect if you, me, and Neo all had our early-aughts shaped by watching the Gilmore Girls?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like romance. One thing that my girlfriend loves and finds romantic is simply the unexpected. Like meeting her at her work when she gets off with her favorite flowers and taking her to the park.

One day she called me to see if I wanted to go see a film with her. She said she was going alone. I told her that I was busy or something, but ended up getting there before her to trick her. Silly, but it makes things fun.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I'm impressed because you are on the correct path.

"Romance" is not about corny and trite gestures. "Romance" is not something that happens between strangers (much to the chagrin of bodice rippers everywhere.) Romance is created through simple yet meaningful gestures between people that know each other well. It is about showing that you are paying attention to the wants, needs, preferences and desires of the person you are with.

If you're paying attention, and not asleep at the wheel in your relationship, romance is pretty easy.

I think you are right on the money with most of what you are saying. I do have a question about the bolded part. I may be using "romance" in a broader context than you are, but I feel that some of my most romantic moments have happened with women I've known for a week or two. Fair to say that these weren't true strangers. With true strangers, memorable moments can be made but they are often based on basic attraction and lust, which isn't to take anything away from them because they can amazing. I do think that romance can occur very early on (a few weeks) and is often most exciting then due to the new-ness of it all. "First times" and "last times" often carry an emotional weight that is difficult, though not impossible, to replicate during the meat of a relationship.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
^ Yeah, hard to tell when things move from the basic excitement of a new bed buddy into romance of the kind I'm talking about. I do think people often get initial excitement mixed up with romance. I think the difference is that initial excitement is about you (rhetorical) being amp'ed up over a new relationship whereas romance is about the other person.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here goes more boring yawn stuff. sweeping the house, putting the kids to bed, doing dishes, a gift card to a spa, going out to dinner on a weeknight.... very romantic. if you equate romance with constantly trying creating feelings of love and closeness with your partner

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
here goes more boring yawn stuff. sweeping the house, putting the kids to bed, doing dishes, a gift card to a spa, going out to dinner on a weeknight.... very romantic. if you equate romance with constantly trying creating feelings of love and closeness with your partner

None of that is a given. Take the spa gift card: Mrs. Piob would hate that. It would not be romantic at all to her. This is what I mean when I say romance is about knowing the other person well.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
None of that is a given. Take the spa gift card: Mrs. Piob would hate that. It would not be romantic at all to her. This is what I mean when I say romance is about knowing the other person well.

haha funny you should say that. my wife would also have no interest in such a card. and yes your earlier statement about knowing the other person is spot on. i was just trying to list a few common examples of things that seem small but when you know the peron who is receiving them they can be very romantic. for many raesons not the least of which is that it shows you pay attention to their needs and desires.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads