• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Romance

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buying my girl a 5L box wine, think thats fairly romantic.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tomgirl
An ex and I used to go away on weekend trips kind of spur of the moment. Usually nowhere crazy, but a couple of times we'd fly out of the country to the States. What made it so romantic is that we virtually shut off everyone else for those 2-3 days and spent it all doing anything and everything we could find to enjoy ourselves together, and often picked things randomly. There's also something to be said for going out to restaurants with someone who you know appreciates the small pleasures in good food and wine as much as you do. I've been somewhat disappointed in the past by forced romantic gestures like men taking me out to "nice" restaurants, and then realizing they don't care, but are simply doing it because they think it's romantic. It's nice, but it isn't "romantic".

Anyway, spontaneity is definitely key to romance with me. I like the idea of dropping things in favour of something passionate and fun, and having someone like-minded to share that with is pretty romantic.

I agree with Tomgirl, especially shutting everyone else out and focus on the small pleasures. Most men overdo it with the five star restaurant that cost a small fortune with the tasting menu. I remember with my last girlfriend we used to to a certain midtown Toronto pub for dinner on a semi regular basis and a couple blocks north and around the corner was this little hole in the wall ice cream shop and desert was more romantic than the main course would you believe.

Certainly if you're spending time with that special someone, confiscate and turn off all smart phones including your own.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Best "romantic" gesture gone hellishly wrong I have observed first hand:

Crowded bar, right after midnight NYE, guy stands up on a chair and gets everyone's attention. He then sits a girl down on said chair, gets on one knee, and proposes. She bursts into tears and runs into the ladies' room screaming, "NO! NO! I can't believe you did this to me! NO I CAN'T MARRY YOU!"

This is what I mean when I say "romance" happens between people that know each other and actually have a clue about the other person. What sort of dickhead doesn't know the answer to that question before he asks it?

emptym

Reaction score
I'm really bad at romance. I think I buy flowers like once a year. I don't usually plan parties or even dinners for birthdays, etc. Some people hate that. And I wish I was better at.

What I try to be is loving in the sense of being benevolent and beneficent, willing and doing the good for the other. This takes getting to know the person I'm dating, trying to see the world through her eyes, and bringing to her attention things I think she'll like or things I think she might benefit from.

This probably comes from my mom. She was almost anti-special event. But to her each day was an exciting opportunity for discovery. We celebrated birthdays, but usually by asking the birthday person where s/he'd like to go for a meal.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Best "romantic" gesture gone hellishly wrong I have observed first hand:

Crowded bar, right after midnight NYE, guy stands up on a chair and gets everyone's attention. He then sits a girl down on said chair, gets on one knee, and proposes. She bursts into tears and runs into the ladies' room screaming, "NO! NO! I can't believe you did this to me! NO I CAN'T MARRY YOU!"

This is what I mean when I say "romance" happens between people that know each other and actually have a clue about the other person. What sort of dickhead doesn't know the answer to that question before he asks it?

That sounds epic.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
That sounds epic.

It was completely epic and didn't stop there. There was further hollering at each other, another dash or two to the ladies' room, and she ended up leaving while dickhead got completely drunk and ended up hitting on someone else's woman and getting himself a smack.

I bet this guy, at 11:59pm, thought he was the most romantic mo-fo in the world.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best "romantic" gesture gone hellishly wrong I have observed first hand: Crowded bar, right after midnight NYE, guy stands up on a chair and gets everyone's attention. He then sits a girl down on said chair, gets on one knee, and proposes. She bursts into tears and runs into the ladies' room screaming, "NO! NO! I can't believe you did this to me! NO I CAN'T MARRY YOU!"
awesome-plane-crash-o.gif

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It was completely epic and didn't stop there. There was further hollering at each other, another dash or two to the ladies' room, and she ended up leaving while dickhead got completely drunk and ended up hitting on someone else's woman and getting himself a smack.

I bet this guy, at 11:59pm, thought he was the most romantic mo-fo in the world.

I would have bought him a shot.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my definition: any gesture towards her thats not in the normal repertoire.

I've made special breakfasts after she's had a long couple of days(in our case thats just a boozy one, be it cider or mimosa's)

took her to venues i know she'd like (book market, or some chick flick
frown.gif
)

some small gestures like putting a flower in her hair on an unguarded moment, or stealing a kiss.

As for the rational thinkers, sometimes living a little fantasy can do wonders for the mind
smile.gif

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Excellent post (mostly because I agree with it). I think that spontaneity is key both in large and small actions. Large as in taking a weekend trip. Small gestures as in an unexpected passionate up-against-the-wall kiss in the middle of an otherwise mundane moment.

Not always true. One of my exes did not handle spontaneity well. Things had to be planned. If I had tried to whisk her out of the country spur of the moment she probably would had a panic attack.

tomgirl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
Not always true. One of my exes did not handle spontaneity well. Things had to be planned. If I had tried to whisk her out of the country spur of the moment she probably would had a panic attack.

That sucks, but a lot of people are like that. I guess that's why she's your ex.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ugh, reading this thread just makes me want to end things with the girl im seeing. zero romance + horrible in bed =
ffffuuuu.gif
i will say that my romantical relationships have always ended horribly. i tend to invest/overinvest too much emotionally in the person

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads