• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Romance

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How about some more examples of creative and personal romantic gestures rather than typical consumerist-driven signs of devotion? Since this is not an advice thread, your stories need not apply to me. Just interested in hearing some creative, heartfelt, or subtle examples of romance that you guys have experienced. It doesn't even have to be planned - perhaps it was a moment that occurred between two people without one of them necessarily orchestrating anything. Maybe it was all coincidentally driven by the ambience (music, or twilight, or walking through quiet cobblestone alleys in Paris after a few glasses of wine).

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
First rule of Romance Club: you don't talk about Romance Club.

Sorry, you got my overall philosophy but you don't get my execution.
wink.gif

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
First rule of Romance Club: you don't talk about Romance Club.

Sorry, you got my overall philosophy but you don't get my execution.
wink.gif

Can I get a backdoor to the Romance Club as an extension of my Bromance Club membership?

Gay pun intended.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I a wee tike, so I don't quote get Piob's execution, but I've done a few things that are kind of unique.

I made super **** a huge Totoro out of cardboard and felt with her favorite poem written on the back as a birthday card.

My girl and I just got back from the beach. We sat and played with whatever bivalves happened to be on the beach (I got a kiss for being able to properly distinguish bivalves and mollusks) and held hands and discussed phylogenetics and ecology and marine biology and it was wonderful.

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
Bored in my summer lecture class so I'll give you a real answer.

I've always been a romantic, I think it comes with the Latin blood. When I first started dating my current girl, it was kind of a friends with benefits thing. Then Valentines day rolled around and she went out of her way to write me a letter about how she could see herself falling in love with me and doing that cute thing girls do like say "I feel like I am falling for you" in a goofy voice. After the thoughtful letter, I was very embarrassed because I did not get anything for her, not even a flower. I have been making it up to her ever since.

One valentines, I took out all of the chocolates in a box and instead wrote in each space everything that I loved about her, minor things she does that no one else would know. For example she prefers her left eyebrow because it looks more concave than her left. She bites her lip when she wants a kiss but does not want to say it etc. Once I surprised her with a private beach dinner right on the surf with candles. Made her wear a dress and the look on her face when I took her to the beach was all worth it. For me at least, the most romantic place on earth is on a beach. Picture hammock in between two palms, piña colada in one hand my chick in the other and only the ocean breeze to listen to. Sounds corny as ****, but I can do that all day.

As a romantic I have learned that being an asshole once in a while has it's perks.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For Romantic experience, I would suggest to do something that is relaxing for both of the couple. In my last relationship I have brought my girl into jazz clubs for a couple of times, romance comes when the couple can focus on each other and without the interference of nature and 3rd party. A relaxing drink can be very romantic, either at home or some quiet place.

To talk romantic, I find out it is the best to not find out the absolution of her, to keep uncertainty is the best way to sustain a tasteful relationship.

Few common errors that man make about romance, such as over acting (singing in the public), erotic gesture (hardcore foreplay in the public), they place a different bullet for the women to bite, unless the female are vain and young, you might get away with that.

I ask my ex before about the most romantic thing ever done by me, she loves me a lot when I cook her a nice dinner. I am always keen on good dining but nothing is better when couples can shares some nice food, drinks in your own space, better than having expensive dinners in hotel or what so ever......

For public holidays and celebration, It is the best to do something with her, to create memories rather than sending presents, in this way you might saves some money and the memory last longer than the tangible goods. During the last Valentine's Day, I manage to book some cheap ticket from London to Edinburgh, it is the greatest expreience we ever have and today I still cherish it a lot.

I hope I have done well for a Chinese dude standard, seeking for another relationship, comments and improvements welcome!

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The key to being romantic is to have grown up watching tons of movies and tv and reading tons of books (especially fantasy and 19th century literature), then in young adulthood being unsuccessful with women.

Seriously.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
best way to keep the romance is going is to keep just the right amount of distance and to do things without the so

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
The key to being romantic is to have grown up watching tons of movies and tv and reading tons of books (especially fantasy and 19th century literature), then in young adulthood being unsucessful with women.

Seriously.

Wise choice, I have read Bertrand Russell 'The Conquest of Happiness', to understand the existence of happiness is stepping up the game with the ladies. As you guys point out, small meaningless things can be extremely meaningful to your partner

So my formula for romance, To make her happy in the most insignificant way, the cheapest way as possible.

This is a extremely good thread for a newbie of relationship like me.
spam[1].gif

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
best way to keep the romance is going is to keep just the right amount of distance and to do things without the so

Hmm, I don't necessarily agree. What you are saying definitely works, empirically from my perspective, with regards to keeping her attraction high. That isn't what this thread is about. I think it is very possible to keep attraction high without much romance.

tomgirl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An ex and I used to go away on weekend trips kind of spur of the moment. Usually nowhere crazy, but a couple of times we'd fly out of the country to the States. What made it so romantic is that we virtually shut off everyone else for those 2-3 days and spent it all doing anything and everything we could find to enjoy ourselves together, and often picked things randomly. There's also something to be said for going out to restaurants with someone who you know appreciates the small pleasures in good food and wine as much as you do. I've been somewhat disappointed in the past by forced romantic gestures like men taking me out to "nice" restaurants, and then realizing they don't care, but are simply doing it because they think it's romantic. It's nice, but it isn't "romantic".

Anyway, spontaneity is definitely key to romance with me. I like the idea of dropping things in favour of something passionate and fun, and having someone like-minded to share that with is pretty romantic.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
The key to being romantic is to have grown up watching tons of movies and tv and reading tons of books (especially fantasy and 19th century literature), then in young adulthood being unsuccessful with women.

Seriously.

This is how I became such a romantic.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tomgirl
An ex and I used to go away on weekend trips kind of spur of the moment. Usually nowhere crazy, but a couple of times we'd fly out of the country to the States. What made it so romantic is that we virtually shut off everyone else for those 2-3 days and spent it all doing anything and everything we could find to enjoy ourselves together. There's also something to be said for going out to restaurants with someone who you know appreciates the small pleasures in good food and wine as much as you do. I've been somewhat disappointed in the past by forced romantic gestures like men taking me out to "nice" restaurants, and then realizing they don't care, but are simply doing it because they think it's romantic. It's nice, but it isn't "romantic".

Anyway, spontaneity is definitely key to romance with me. I like the idea of dropping things in favour of something passionate and fun, and having someone like-minded to share that with is pretty romantic.

Excellent post (mostly because I agree with it). I think that spontaneity is key both in large and small actions. Large as in taking a weekend trip. Small gestures as in an unexpected passionate up-against-the-wall kiss in the middle of an otherwise mundane moment.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just 4 u ramboaner

13135__say_anythiing_l.jpg

aaaaaaaaaanywho, while i agree that spontanaety is often romantic, it can backfire. and romance can be had even its planned.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads