• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MrZBrown

Reaction score
Yes with slacks or trousers mostly. I like both colours, Black for formal and Chestnut with Navy slacks. The Dark Tan I like to wear more for casual now. I don't really have a favourite colour.
I see. I routinely wear RW iron rangers and beckmans with my jeans so this is really only for work which is why I am leaning black. I much prefer the versatility of the a chestnut or tan, but black is probably the most useful for work.

Silent Speaker

Reaction score
Has anyone had a good look at the Rum leather in person?
Is it just my eyes, or does it have some red in it?
The pics online are pretty hopeless though.

There's still some of it left, and IIRC it did look much more interesting, more "rich" than the standard Chestnut colour.
I'm just really sore about missing out on the Claret (still, after all these years), and am maybe seeing a reddish tint where there isn't one.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Buy Both, easy fixed! So splash out and both colours will provide you the simple answer. I bet if you buy 1 colour then it wont be long for you to order the other colour.

I started off with my first pair as Dark Tan, then brought another in Black, and Chestnut and then more.

Were your first pair of Dark Tan's in yearling?
How do they look now?
(do you have any recent pictures? :D)

Last edited:

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ The rum leather is pretty nice actually. Probably the only RMW calf leather than has real depth of colour out of the box, and as you noted, much richer than chestnut. I would describe it as a mid-to-dark brown with blonde highlights, though it's possible it has some red as well. I get the feeling the exact colour of rum boots would vary depending on the batch of leather used.

The samples I saw last year were quite similar in colour and "antiquing" effect to vesta leather boots such as these.

I actually think it is a very versatile colour as it is both dark brown and light at the same time, and goes well with a broad range of colours from denim to dark brown to grey.

cmd06

Reaction score
I have 4 chelsea boots, 2 of which are RMW. One pair is Chestnut yearling while the other is Tan (#36) veal calf. I'd love to hear any opinions on whether to get a pair in Dark Tan (#13) or not since I already have a medium brown pair (although they are somewhat red).

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having seen both up close, the dark tan serves a similar function to the chestnut so wouldn't be worth the purchase.

Worth considering should the chestnut wear out and you wish to replace it.

SpeedBird

Reaction score

Has anyone had a good look at the Rum leather in person?
Is it just my eyes, or does it have some red in it?
The pics online are pretty hopeless though.

There's still some of it left, and IIRC it did look much more interesting, more "rich" than the standard Chestnut colour.
I'm just really sore about missing out on the Claret (still, after all these years), and am maybe seeing a reddish tint where there isn't one.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Were your first pair of Dark Tan's in yearling?
How do they look now?
(do you have any recent pictures? :D)

Yes my first pair was Dark Tan yearling with leather sole, once the sole wore thin i had then replaced with rubber sole, they are over 20 years old now, the colour is now way darker than the first day I wore then. I think today, they look so close to chestnut in colour as all the years of leather conditioner and polishing has made it appear a lot darker. My first pair are now aging so fast, with hair line cracks appearing around the last toe area. The leather is so soft. With a few replacement soles with age and re heels done yearly. I think its on its last legs. I feel I wont get any more benefits from any more sole replacements as the leather is cracking. I rotate my boots, but after all the wear and care you can only do so much before buying a new pair to make the cost vs repair come into the situation effective. I don't have any photos right now. But I still wear these on a more causal basis and my new pairs in a more formal or business setting.

My second pair in black wore out, the leather around the end toe area cracked open, with the sole being replaced like 9 months before hand but to no extra benefit, so I feel, once you see hairline cracks appear, it best to start to think is it worth adding more repair dollars compared to saving up and adding the cost towards a new pair.

Last edited:

Brock Zeigler

Reaction score
Anyone know what happened to the NYC store? Went there this past Sunday Feb. 02, 2014 and the the place was vacant. Kinda disappointing.

JackFlash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what happened to the NYC store? Went there this past Sunday Feb. 02, 2014 and the the place was vacant. Kinda disappointing.

What!? Vacant as in the store was not open and there was no one there or vacant as in the space was cleared out? If the latter, I'm super disappointed; stopping by and getting fitted for some Craftsmans was on the top of my 2014 to-do list.

You could also try asking around at Jim's shoe repair next door. I'm sure they would have an idea what is going on.

Last edited:

MrZBrown

Reaction score
I have 4 chelsea boots, 2 of which are RMW. One pair is Chestnut yearling while the other is Tan (#36) veal calf. I'd love to hear any opinions on whether to get a pair in Dark Tan (#13) or not since I already have a medium brown pair (although they are somewhat red).

what style of shoe are those Tan Veal's? The profile of the sole looks a lot sleeker than the other ones.

Ironist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

what style of shoe are those Tan Veal's? The profile of the sole looks a lot sleeker than the other ones.

Looks like a tan veal macquarie with a screwed sole to me. That combo seems pretty popular as I've seen several of those. Never seen a chestnut veal macquarie with screwed sole though.

Last edited:

cmd06

Reaction score

Looks like a tan veal macquarie with a screwed sole to me. That combo seems pretty popular as I've seen several of those. Never seen a chestnut veal macquarie with screwed sole though.

Actually, they are Craftsman boots with the brass screwed soles. It's remarkable how sleek they look without that lip. They fit much tighter than standard Craftsmans; knowing what I know now I would choose the normal Goodyear sole instead of the screwed one since that may be why they feel cramped. Notice the toe is chiseled whereas the Macquarie is the classic and relatively rare narrow-round toe. The Macquarie would appear very close to the black ones on the far right. I prefer the look of the Macquarie over the Craftsman for a dressier occasions.

Can someone who has both Craftsmans and Macquaries mention if they fit the same?

MrZBrown

Reaction score
Interesting. I wonder how the craftsman with screwdown soles would fit in comparison to the modified turnabout in the OP

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics