• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brock Zeigler

Reaction score
Yes, the store was empty. They are gone. Was kinda disappointing, as I had went there with my girlfriend to buy her a pair of boots she saw back in December. Thought I would treat her. Take the subway over from Brooklyn, walked a bunch of blocks and the place has closed shop. What happened?

Ironist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Actually, they are Craftsman boots with the brass screwed soles. It's remarkable how sleek they look without that lip. They fit much tighter than standard Craftsmans; knowing what I know now I would choose the normal Goodyear sole instead of the screwed one since that may be why they feel cramped. Notice the toe is chiseled whereas the Macquarie is the classic and relatively rare narrow-round toe. The Macquarie would appear very close to the black ones on the far right. I prefer the look of the Macquarie over the Craftsman for a dressier occasions.

Can someone who has both Craftsmans and Macquaries mention if they fit the same?

Ahh.. just when I was sure I wanted to get a macquarie with screws. It's so hard to tell from the pictures how sleek a craftsman can look in real life. Half of them look like they are the same width as an AE or Alden shoe but some of them look pretty sleek. Maybe that's the difference between the F and G? I prefer the look of a chiseled toe but I didn't want anything clunky which was my impression based on some of these photos and the need to have a "forum special."

Sleekness scale:

Screw Macquarie in F > Screw Craftsman F > GW Macquarie F > GW Craftsman F?

Is that about right? I have problems picking between the first three... ugh.

cmd06

Reaction score

Ahh.. just when I was sure I wanted to get a macquarie with screws. It's so hard to tell from the pictures how sleek a craftsman can look in real life. Half of them look like they are the same width as an AE or Alden shoe but some of them look pretty sleek. Maybe that's the difference between the F and G? I prefer the look of a chiseled toe but I didn't want anything clunky which was my impression based on some of these photos and the need to have a "forum special."

Sleekness scale:

Screw Macquarie in F > Screw Craftsman F > GW Macquarie F > GW Craftsman F?

Is that about right? I have problems picking between the first three... ugh.

That's a good breakdown. I would get the first boot in your list if they fit right. As a lover of chelsea boots, that configuration is the hardest to find (and oh so sleek which works well with dress pants and dark denim jeans for a smart outfit). My third pair of RMWs will be the Macquaries or the Stockman buckle boots.

Craftsmans are a dime a dozen in Australia imo (just walking around, I noticed a lot of chisel toe chelsea boots but no idea if they were RMW). The B555, B503/7/8 lasts have the sleekest and classic look to my eyes.

Dr P00b

Reaction score
I have just added a pair of Maquarie to my collection for a sleeker smarter look with suits etc. Went for the leather sole for slippery dancefloor moves! Interestingly the ankle opening is bigger on these than my other 2 pairs (Craftsman) out of the box. I don't imagine this will be a problem.

The sole looks so nice unworn I almost don't want to scuff them (I'll get over it once they have been worn)

The other 2 pairs I have are both Comfort Craftsman in 8.5G. After wearing them for a while I have decided they are a tiny bit snug in the toes. Not enough to annoy me but when I get a resole done I will get them changed to a 9. After loosening up they also seem to have excess bulge so I am also going to also get them changed to an F. The new black Maquaries are a 9F and they feel perfect so far just around the house.

Pretty happy with my shoes now. Something for all occasions. The brown CCs have been slogged to work for about a year now in pissing rain and the rest. They are holding up very well and super comfortable. I was walking 3km to and from work and wearing them some days from 6AM to Midnight. Beautiful boot.

Interestingly re sole choice ol' mate in store told me if you get the leather screwed then that is all the boot can ever have. If you get stitched you can change from leather to the rubber sole and vice versa when resoling. Might be something to think about. I very nearly went the screwed sole for the super sleek look. It was a hard decision but I was not sure if later on I may want the rubber instead. I still think it looks pretty sleek.

Ironist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's a good breakdown. I would get the first boot in your list if they fit right. As a lover of chelsea boots, that configuration is the hardest to find (and oh so sleek which works well with dress pants and dark denim jeans for a smart outfit). My third pair of RMWs will be the Macquaries or the Stockman buckle boots.

Craftsmans are a dime a dozen in Australia imo (just walking around, I noticed a lot of chisel toe chelsea boots but no idea if they were RMW). The B555, B503/7/8 lasts have the sleekest and classic look to my eyes.

Interesting, thanks. I think I might play it safe and get the Macquarie with screws half a size larger than recommended in the first post. I believe it's around $450 shipped for veal, screw, macquarie from bootsonline. Not sure how much it is from the others since they don't contact me back :(.

Ironist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just placed an order with aussiehats for a the chestnut calf macquarie with screws. Hope I got the sizing right as I went with the narrower 6F to make it sleeker. I usually wear 7D US which is a little on the long side but not as snug as a 6.5D. Will update when they arrive.

cmd06

Reaction score

I have just added a pair of Maquarie to my collection for a sleeker smarter look with suits etc. Went for the leather sole for slippery dancefloor moves! Interestingly the ankle opening is bigger on these than my other 2 pairs (Craftsman) out of the box. I don't imagine this will be a problem. Pretty happy with my shoes now. Something for all occasions. The brown CCs have been slogged to work for about a year now in pissing rain and the rest. They are holding up very well and super comfortable. I was walking 3km to and from work and wearing them some days from 6AM to Midnight. Beautiful boot.
Are the ones in the middle the "Dusty Brown #66" in suede leather? Or, are they "Mid Brown #24"? There are new colors this season such as Chocolate #8, Nutmeg QH. and Bone #5. I wish this brand did a better marketing job of taking more boot pictures of these rare colors.

Last edited:

Silhouette

Reaction score
Just placed an order with aussiehats for a the chestnut calf macquarie with screws. Hope I got the sizing right as I went with the narrower 6F to make it sleeker. I usually wear 7D US which is a little on the long side but not as snug as a 6.5D. Will update when they arrive.

Interesting. Could you provide measurements of your feet? I have been thinking of ordering the same size and width but I've been recommended going larger. I want to get it 'right' if I am to order directly from Australia. Custom width (F) is only available through MTO from the australian sites in my experience.

Dr P00b

Reaction score
Are the ones in the middle the "Dusty Brown #66" in suede leather? Or, are they "Mid Brown #24"?

There are new colors this season such as Chocolate #8, Nutmeg QH. and Bone #5. I wish this brand did a better marketing job of taking more boot pictures of these rare colors.
Hi mate,

The suede ones are actually called by RM as "coffee". They were a seasonal release last year so I don't think you can get them any more. If you really like them you might be able to get them custom made? Or, if you are an 8.5G make me an offer I can't refuse :)

Here is a few different angles of the coffee suede boots.

DJackson

Reaction score

Yes, the store was empty.  They are gone.  Was kinda disappointing, as I had went there with my girlfriend to buy her a pair of boots she saw back in December. Thought I would treat her. Take the subway over from Brooklyn, walked a bunch of blocks and the place has closed shop. What happened?

That's a shame. The staff there have helped me & my RMs in many ways over the past 5 or so years (since my 1st pair). My wife and I had visit only a few months ago while we were Christmas shopping. We were thinking about ordering her a pair of boots. We looked over leather swatches, found her size, wrote down some numbers... just a shame to lose the NYC brick and mortar presence.

JackFlash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a shame. The staff there have helped me & my RMs in many ways over the past 5 or so years (since my 1st pair). My wife and I had visit only a few months ago while we were Christmas shopping. We were thinking about ordering her a pair of boots. We looked over leather swatches, found her size, wrote down some numbers... just a shame to lose the NYC brick and mortar presence.

Good news! I e-mailed RM Williams customer service and they informed me that the store is simply moving to a new location, to open again later this year.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Ironist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting. Could you provide measurements of your feet? I have been thinking of ordering the same size and width but I've been recommended going larger. I want to get it 'right' if I am to order directly from Australia. Custom width (F) is only available through MTO from the australian sites in my experience.

You're in luck, I have sizeadvisors measurements from before, lol.

Widths Ball -0.462 mm -0.462 mm 1.56 mm
Heel -0.124 mm -0.124 mm 2.63 mm
Girths Ball 12.432 mm 12.432 mm 5.88 mm
Instep -3.511 mm -3.511 mm 6.06 mm
Heel 1.121 mm 1.121 mm 9.34 mm

Not sure if it is correct but eh. Here are some shoes I wear.

7 D.C. Lewis Porter / Clayton (a little long / loose but comfortable)
7D in AE 5 last (width is fine but length is a little long)
7D Wolverine 1000 miles ( a bit wide / little long)
7D LL Bean Katadhin (may be a little long)
6D in Clarks (tight and form fitting)
6 chucks (very tight, best without socks)
6.5 sperry (can pretty much only wear no sock & perfect fit)

I'll let you know how the boots fit in 6 weeks. I know I was reaching with the F's and they'll probably be too tight but I wanted them to look sleek and prefer snug vs loose and blobby.

Last edited:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read an interesting quote about RMW's recently. Hope it hasn't already been posted.

http://atwar.blogs.nytimes.com/2010...rystals-dismissal/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

NY Times Reporter John Burns & Dexter Filkins, war correspondent and author:

...Among his peers, Dexter, who is writing from Kabul, is regarded as one of the very best (some would say the best) of the band of brothers and sisters who have gone to war with their pens and notebooks, their flak jackets and helmets and R. M. Williams boots (from Australia, and by habit heavily scuffed; they are as indispensable to this generation of war correspondents and photographers as the dangling cigarette was to the generation of Ernie Pyle)...

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pheng Chia